Making a long cut - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Making a long cut

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    If I were to do it with a Sawzall, I'd try the new carbide ones and see how they do
    I'm very impessed with those blades. Used one to sever a 6" std wall pipe that was tucked into the corner of a room, with no grinder access. Went fast, barely dulled, and didnt gain much heat during the cut. I would have burned up a few lennox blades doing the same cut.

The 3m cubitron zip disks and grinding disks are also very nice. Spendy, but the fastest material removal and longevity of all the brands I've tried yet.

No affiliation with either manufacturer, just sharing my thoughts on a good product.

Edit to add;

Those carbide toothed blades do have a minimum recommended material thickness, I think it was about 3/16". The side of a seacan may be too thin, you may experience tooth chipping.
    Last edited by Tango Sierra; 10-16-2019 at 12:53 AM.

A good powerful 4.5" angle grinder and a couple packs of quality inox thin slitting discs. They'll go through it like butter, easy on the arms, and if they snag there's not much energy in the discs to harm you when they fragment.

There's no "easy" way to do this (other than plasma or oxyfuel) so pick your method, put some good goggles and earplugs in, and have at it...

Don’t forget the respirator or some type of lung protection.

Especially with those fiber cutting discs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Thanks for all the input. We're going to do the angle grinder with a pack of Walter zip one wheels. My rough estimates placed two other wheels at ~50˘/ft on 10 ga steel and found a small deal on the zip ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Don’t forget the respirator or some type of lung protection.

Especially with those fiber cutting discs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Would not have thought of that, thanks.

Stihl TS420 gas powered chopsaw. Next question.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    You only mentioned the total number of feet needing cutting. What size pieces are you cutting? 1/4” sheet or structural?

IF you go the angle grinder route buy a Lenox metal cutting wheel.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenox-Tools-19.../dp/B01HSJ1A2M

I’m still on my first wheel. It will pay for itself in time saved by not having to change abrasive discs.
    I'm kind of late to the party on this one but I have to disagree. I have a Lenox diamond wheel and I find it to be +10db louder than a quality cutoff wheel and ~30% slower in cutting speed. I also find that it tends to want to skate on the surface more than a standard abrasive wheel making precision cuts a little more work.

The only time I use it now is if I need a full diameter wheel or run out of discs. You may save a few $$ on abrasive cost but you'll lose that on labor.
    Last edited by denverguy; 10-21-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denverguy View Post
    I'm kind of late to the party on this one but I have to disagree. I have a Lenox diamond wheel and I find it to be +10db louder than a quality cutoff wheel and ~30% slower in cutting speed. I also find that it tends to want to skate on the surface more than a standard abrasive wheel making precision cuts a little more work.

The only time I use it now is if I need a full diameter wheel or run out of discs. You may save a few $$ on abrasive cost but you'll lose that on labor.
    Louder isn’t an issue I noticed but you are correct about the skating. You may also be correct about speed but I still prefer using the Lennox. I still have a couple of boxes of Klingspor wheels on the shelf.
    :

For the gun turret project, I cut all the straight cuts in 1/4" sheet with a 30 yr old skill saw and one diablo metal cutting blade from home depot.

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...unt&highlight=

I used a straight edge, only pushed hard enough to make nice chips, cut beautifully.
    Dave, I thought the metal cutting blades had to be used in a saw with slower RPM's than a Skil-type saw.

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Dave, I thought the metal cutting blades had to be used in a saw with slower RPM's than a Skil-type saw.
    I didn't find it to be an issue. The blade survived that project and was even used on some more cutting after.

It was much faster than plasma + cleanup of edges.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

See about rentaing a plasma cutter for a day. It will save a lot of time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I didn't find it to be an issue. The blade survived that project and was even used on some more cutting after.
    I'm surprised. I know the carbide cool cut blades aren't recommended for miter saws due to the higher RPMs, and Skil-type saws are about the same. I might have to try one out on my Skil saw.