7018 welds - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7018 welds

Re: 7018 welds

Thanks for the replies and advice on the braces. I had a hard time understanding why my weld would break because I was only considering the downward force. I was not considering what might happen in transport even though y’all kept talking about potholes. But it finally clicked. If my wheel gets caught in a hole or hits a tree and my tractor keeps going, the tractor could easily break even the best weld with that amount of leverage. I have some spare c channel of 4x 1.5 x 1/4” that I can use as braces. I was thinking about placing it 1/2 way down the vertical part of the arch and 1/2 way down the bar that the coupler is attached to. That will be about 4.5 feet long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    I have some spare c channel of 4x 1.5 x 1/4” that I can use as braces. I was thinking about placing it 1/2 way down the vertical part of the arch and 1/2 way down the bar that the coupler is attached to. That will be about 4.5 feet long
    That will work, though you don't need anything that heavy. If it were me, I'd save the 4x 1.5 x 1/4” c-channel for something worthwhile, even if I had to buy a piece of rebar...but I'm cheap. One 20' stick of 1/2" rebar would allow you to make 4 braces (fore and aft) for about $11 and solve the whole thing.

If you used the c-channel, you wouldn't need the braces in the back, but still, that's pretty upscale stuff for this purpose, IMO.

ETA: If you do it like in my pic, make sure you can clear the braces with any log as high as you want to lift it.
    Might want to move the braces halfway up the arch legs to give more clearance...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kelvin; 10-18-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Here is one of the braces. I had spare c channel I wanted to use, but cutting it to fit was too hard and it was way too big. So I looked through my scrap and found my cleanest dirty angle iron and used it. It was difficult to get the correct angles. The pic shows my fit up. There was some gap, but not bad.
    There are pics showing fit up and one of my welds and the finished brace. I don’t know what all those bubbles are in the end of the weld.
    I used 7018 3/32 at around 90 amps. Material was 1/4 inch. I had to work with the smaller rod. It is easier to control but the puddle is smaller and harder to see than with 1/8.

Your 7018 is getting WAY F'N BETTER

FIST BUMP!!

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Your 7018 is getting WAY F'N BETTER

FIST BUMP!!
    Thanks Sam. I am following the excellent advice I have been given on this forum. Of course I only show my best welds. There are plenty of lesser welds I did not show.

Thanks Sam. I am following the excellent advice I have been given on this forum. Of course I only show my best welds. There are plenty of lesser welds I did not show.

I have just come come back to doing some welding, I was fairly decent in the day but now just trying to get comfortable is a chore, and one thing I know well is that good welds require comfort, anything that requires me to twist or get in any odd position drastically affects my weld quality, I also have problems controlling my breathing sometimes.....there goes the welds.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Looks much better and stronger now.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

There are pics showing fit up and one of my welds and the finished brace. I don’t know what all those bubbles are in the end of the weld.
    I used 7018 3/32 at around 90 amps. Material was 1/4 inch. I had to work with the smaller rod. It is easier to control but the puddle is smaller and harder to see than with 1/8.
    That's a much better looking bead, for sure! It looks like as you progressed from start to finish you may have let the arc length increase and that's why you got more and more spatter as you went along. The closer you can keep the arc length constant from start to finish, the better the outcome.

It feels weird at first, but I try to pause at the end of the bead, back up a tiny bit, do a little swirl for maybe a second then run the stick in even closer before quickly popping out. That fills in the crater, minimizes spatter and porosity.

The bubbles at the end are porosity, and could be caused by too long an arc length. When the arc length is too long the flux burning off the rod doesn't create a big enough bubble around the puddle so the molten puddle isn't properly shielded.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Looks much better and stronger now.
    +1

Fitup on something like that can be a real bear! Seems like on jobs like that, I cut and check (nope) and cut and check (nope) and cut and check (nope) and grind grind grind until the piece is borderline-too short and then say F-IT and tack it and fill the gap with enough waste slices to shmutz it over with 6010. Which has taught me: You can cut more OFF but you can't cut morON! Looks like yours came out much nicer than mine would have. Nice job!

ETA: When doing something like this, if you're wondering which welds are "more important to get right," if given a choice, I generally try to get the welds that will have stress in shear welded at least as well as those that will just be in tension or compression, since shear strength of steel is about 75% of its tensile (or compressive) strength.
    Last edited by Kelvin; 10-20-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Here is a follow up with pics

The finished project with braces welded on both sides. I used angle iron

Hooked up to tractor

The width and height allow me to easily straddle my bandsaw sawmill.

The length allows me to raise and lower the log using leverage

The Eastern Red Cedar after making a cut.

Nice!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Here is a follow up with pics
    Cool...time to start building furniture (or at least stacking and stickering)!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Cool...time to start building furniture (or at least stacking and stickering)!
    My first project will be the wood for an aluminum framed shelf welded together by my son with TIG.
    After that I will replace the boards in a trailer and weld together a ramp and expanded metal sides.
    After that, maybe a pole barn.
    I have lots and lots of Cedar and a little bit of oak.

Looks like you are well on your way to a lot of fun projects.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.