Flux core wire
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Flux core wire

Flux core wire

I need to buy some more flux core wire. What are you using and the pros and cons.

Re: Flux core wire

I like NR203-MP in .068. It has a nice smooth arc like 7018 and is T8 rated.

i use nr211
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by gtermini View Post
    I like NR203-MP in .068. It has a nice smooth arc like 7018 and is T8 rated.
    LOL

Chances are, since he is posting in the harbor freight forum, that he does not have a machine to run 068 flux core wire.

mickri,

Even cheap gasless flux core wire (E71T-11 or E71T-GS) can run great so long as it hasn't picked up moisture. I've used Lincoln NR-211, but I've also used cheap Welding City wire, wire off Ebay from Kiswel, HTP wire. It all runs well, as long as the settings are correct. Spatter is a bit less with the Lincoln wire.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    LOL

Chances are, since he is posting in the harbor freight forum, that he does not have a machine to run 068 flux core wire.

mickri,

Even cheap gasless flux core wire (E71T-11 or E71T-GS) can run great so long as it hasn't picked up moisture. I've used Lincoln NR-211, but I've also used cheap Welding City wire, wire off Ebay from Kiswel, HTP wire. It all runs well, as long as the settings are correct. Spatter is a bit less with the Lincoln wire.
    if 068 wire is out then i guess 3/32 nr211 is a no go then?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Just go back to Harbor Freight and buy what they have in the store...it will work fine.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a HF 125 that I have done the bridge rectifier and capacitor modification. I have been using the .030 wire that came with the welder. It seems to works ok but I am not much of a welder. So would like to try something else. I live out in the sticks. The nearest HF store is 35 miles away from me and takes an hour to get there. I buy most of my stuff online. I have also posted this question on the Hobby Machinist site. Lincoln nr211 followed by Blue Demon are the two most recommended wires. Not much difference is cost.

For that welder stick with the .030 size... it could probably handle .035 but as a beginner welder you would regret it I've use the lincoln and blue demon stuff as well as other import wires and for a beginner just get what you can... while there are noticeable differences between some of them it won't make a whole lot of 'learning' difference

A prior owner put that capacitor mod on the HF-180 (black) I have. I use it only with flux core. The application is occasional farm fabrication and repairs.

It definitely welds smoother and hotter when the capacitor is switched into the circuit. It needs both dials turned way down, at least a couple of steps, to do the same weld as no capacitor.

I like it.

I suspect the capacitor mod would burn out the welder sooner if I tried its new higher maximum output. I'm not going to try experimenting at maximum, I have a stick welder for heavier stuff and don't want to blow this HF up. It just is what it is, a convenient tool.

As for which flux core wire, I buy Hobart and Blue Demon because they're available locally. Prior owner of this HF-180 (definitely an experimenter ) included four 2 lb spools of other brands (that he probably tried and didn't like) plus HF's original wire that came with the welder. All seem to weld similar with the HF wire possibly making more splatter than the quality brands. Prep - welding on immaculate metal - and especially finding the 'sweet spot' in settings, are more important than the flux core wire brand in my experience. I do plan to try Lincoln nr211 and Forney some day. Ask here, and take a look at Amazon reviews.

Enjoy your modded HF-125!
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

I have tried several brands of flux core and I very much prefer NR-211.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I have tried several brands of flux core and I very much prefer NR-211.
    How is it different? I went to read about NR-211 and one thing I saw said it wants near-perfect conditions but then it makes more perfect welds and can be welded over, while GS-spec wire shouldn't be welded over. (Can't get the flux off the weld, with those???)

Also two complaints on the Amazon customer reviews said the .030 is brittle on the spool and those buyers had it break off where it was secured to the 2 lb spool, letting it unwind into a mess. Obviously amateurs - but I am too.

What have you found with NR-211 causing you to prefer it?

Any fluxcore wire is brittle but since .030 is a bit thinner than .035 then it is a bit more fragile too.

All wire spools will unwind into a mess if you don't use proper handling on them

The flux will flake off or have to be ground off depending on how you weld and your settings.

Basically I have found (also) if you buy name brand(proven) wire it can/will work better whether it be from improved manufacturing or just better base materials... kinda like buying a rubber tire from harbor freight or a rubber tire from BF Goodrich one will start disintegrating in about 3 months if left out in the sun... the other will last for years but they both roll... probably not the best analogy but it really depends on what you're gonna do with the tire....

Tell me about the wire unwinding. It was a pain to get it back on the spool. A response that I got on another site was that the Blue Demon was better on rusty metal. This came from a man who worked in an auto body shop. Most of my welding right now is repairing rusted panels in a 1966 MG Midget that I am resurrecting. I think that I will give the Blue demon a try. This is the worst that I have to deal with.

Name:  IMG_3761.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  65.6 KB

The flux on others seems harder to remove, but I prefer the NR-211 because IMO it runs better and spatters less, bead appearance is much better, I haven't gone to extremes with cleaning prior to welding. As far as being brittle, I've seen that on other brands too, you have to remember the the wire is made of a small flat piece that is "wrapped" around the flux core. I am using flux core almost exclusively after going to the 211. You would think that wires, rods etc that are spec'd the same would be metallurgicaly the same, but apparently not.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The flux on others seems harder to remove, but I prefer the NR-211 because IMO it runs better and spatters less, bead appearance is much better, I haven't gone to extremes with cleaning prior to welding.
    Thanks! NR-211 will be my next wire purchase.

Can go wrong with Lincoln consumables, but other "off" brands can also provide a very good value for the money.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Can go wrong with Lincoln consumables, but other "off" brands can also provide a very good value for the money.
    INE from Amazon seems like a very good wire like it has been discussed in the other thread recently. Also alot cheaper than Lincoln's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX TIGRunner
    Fronius Transsteel 2200

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    INE from Amazon seems like a very good wire like it has been discussed in the other thread recently. Also alot cheaper than Lincoln's.

For solid wire, I agree. For gasless flux core, however, their prices are stupid expensive, lol.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

For solid wire, I agree. For gasless flux core, however, their prices are stupid expensive, lol.
    Seems like about the same price, with the INE being slightly cheaper. $20.99 for a 2lb spool vs $11.89 for 1 lb for the NR211. And the 10lb is also about the same price for both give or take.

Fronius Transsteel 2200

and I thought 32-35$US for a 10 lb. roll of 030/035FC was high!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    and I thought 32-35$US for a 10 lb. roll of 030/035FC was high!!!
    $32? What brand is that?

Fronius Transsteel 2200

Not sure of the real mfg.... but the last dozen rolls I got were labeled 'StrongWeld' can't go wrong with that eh'

Name:  strongweld-box1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  133.0 KB
    before that I was getting the lower label box... says made in USA... it's all got AWS spec numbers and stuff on it... works great for what I do
    For the most part it runs about 64-70$US delivered for two rolls of 10lb. flux core
    Name:  strongweld-genericfcwire.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  45.0 KB
    I haven't ordered any for the last month or so... so not sure if it gone up/dn/flat.... but the strong weld stuff came from a different seller and was a couple bucks cheaper than the other rolls I had been using since mid 2017

And the strong weld stuff comes heat sealed in a good thick mylar wrap vacuum packed so no moisture is getting in it in case you're wondering about the date code on it

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    Seems like about the same price, with the INE being slightly cheaper. $20.99 for a 2lb spool vs $11.89 for 1 lb for the NR211. And the 10lb is also about the same price for both give or take.

Exactly. ~$70 for a 10# spool is ridiculous for E71T-11, IMO. Most "off brands" are two 10# spools for ~$75-80.
    Last edited by Oscar; 10-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC