Wanted: Spoolmatic 1
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wanted: Spoolmatic 1

I have a Millermatic 200, and I'm looking to try some aluminum welding. It seems the best route is a Spoolmatic 1 that will plug and play, if I can find one

Re: Wanted: Spoolmatic 1

There's one on ebay (not mine) https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLER-Mill...QAAOSw4ylclEZH

But you may have a better time finding a used spoolmatic 15/30, or a spoolmate 200 and mating them to your welder with a WC-24.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by apewrangler View Post
    I have a Millermatic 200, and I'm looking to try some aluminum welding. It seems the best route is a Spoolmatic 1 that will plug and play, if I can find one
    You can find one for $200 or less if you look around... OR find a generic one and wire it up.

OR follow louies advice and spend $1000 on a spoolmate 200 and $400 for a WC-24 ...
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

A Spoolmatic 1 sold on ebay last week for $300. I was a little late getting in on that one. It looks like come up fairly regularly, so maybe I will have another chance pretty soon. The $600 one on ebay right is a bit steep.

It feels like it's one of those things that many people would have tucked away in the back of their shop and haven't used for years.

John, any idea what kind of generic spool gun would work and how it could be wired up?

I grabbed my spoolmatic 30a for $350 bucks off of ebay. Generic spoolguns are going to be pricey https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Direct-F...-/200322992417
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Chances of someone having one sitting in the corner that they are willing to let go for a loss is going to be pretty slim unless they bought if to work with a machine that is broken or they no longer have. Still going to be slim. Miller stuff so expensive.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

John, any idea what kind of generic spool gun would work and how it could be wired up?
    No idea.... just a random thought... I have heard of guys doing it... but not sure what gun ..... probably not worth the hassle...

Assuming your MM has a "4 PIN" connection (not the 14 pin) .... I would just buy a Spoolmatic1 like you originally said. (plug & play)

I had one for a while on my Miller 211 and it worked ok. got the job done.
    I sold it for $200 when I bought my tig..... looks like I should have asked more... but hell, thats what I paid for it also.......

Interesting reading... before I bought the miller gun I was considering the Hobart gun ..... But the wornout old geezer scared me off....
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...art&highlight=
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

As John T pointed out, the SM-1 only works P&P with the earlier generations MM200 with 4-pin spoolgun receptacle.

That said, I and others have used the SM-3 on earlier MM200s by relpacing the 14-pin plug on the SM-3 with 4-pin plug configured correctly so as to not damage the MM200 or SM-3.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Get ahold of 7A749, he had one, not sure if he got it rewired and sold or not.

7A749 seems to be out of pocket. He hasn't been active in a while, and his PM box is full.

I've been looking out for a SM-3, but those seem to come around less frequently than the SM-1.
    Millermatic 200

I sent him a note.

Thanks a bunch!
    Millermatic 200

I have a sm-3 that I converted with a 4 pin plug to use with my early model 200. Duane helped described the conversion to me at lease 10 years ago. I used it to build aluminum racks in a food trailer. I have pictures pm me for pictures.
    $300 and actual shipping costs Thanks PatF

Thanks a bunch!
    there's a guy from Shenandoah, PA that buys and sells welding equipment. ads on craigslist,,PA, Williamsport or wilkes barre/scranton

im the guy from Shenandoah, 1-570-527-6056 emory

Brought home a Spoolmate 1 with a WC-1, regulator and all the wires/cables. The WC-1 fuse cap got lost in transport...have a replacement cap on the way. It's available...

Name:  IMG_8526.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  117.0 KB
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT