Air Compressor Start Up Issues, HELP!!!!! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Air Compressor Start Up Issues, HELP!!!!!

I took the belts off last night and started the motor and it does spin but not at full speed kind of limps along and the breaker still trips. I have not recived the cap yet so will try that once i get it.

You have a picture of the three phase controller. It shows L1, L2, L3 T1, T2, T3. I don't know why they would use a three phase controller on a single phase motor. What did the shop you got it have for electrical service. Look at their power pole outside if you see three transformers they have three phase.. With the starting problem you have it sounds like you are running a three phase on a single phase circuit. Could be tagged wrong would not be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mwshaw View Post
    You have a picture of the three phase controller. It shows L1, L2, L3 T1, T2, T3. I don't know why they would use a three phase controller on a single phase motor. What did the shop you got it have for electrical service. Look at their power pole outside if you see three transformers they have three phase.. With the starting problem you have it sounds like you are running a three phase on a single phase circuit. Could be tagged wrong would not be the first time.
    If you look very closely at the wiring diagram in the original post you will see that T2 feeds L3 which feeds T3. Only T1 and T3 feed the motor. I'm not sure why they do this but I have seen it quite often with IEC contactors.

*** Progress Update***

So I ordered a Cap to replace the one that I though was bad and I ordered thw wrong one. At this point I was feed up so time to enlist a pro, I called a local mobile compressor repair guy and he walked me through a couple more troubleshooting options. He told me to take off the end bell of the motor to chanck the start switch, and low and behold I found my first sign of a problem outside of the fact it would not run correct. The start switch was broken that there was some signs of arcing and the contacts was complety burned off. See the pictures below.

Name:  20191028_183245.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  116.8 KBName:  20191028_183338.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  63.7 KB

Going to call Baldor in the am to order the part but Google says it's around $50.

Cross your fingers!!!

Thanks all for the help and guidance.

Josh

Good deal, I have had a few motors where the centrifugal start switch failed... fortunately they were on grinders and things I could spin start