Miller Trailblazer 250G, Zero amp control.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller Trailblazer 250G, Zero amp control.

I got a used Trailblazer unknown previews history. Serviced the engine, then tested the unit out. Generator works great on full RPM 120-126VAC. I have DC 55V at idle and DC 145V at the welding lugs. Reastat does nothing, remote is off.

Made my 7018 rod into a digger, into 1/2 plate no less. I am sure it's pushing 200-250 Amp into it, on all DC Settings. I have NEVER jumped started the unit, however it's a used unit. (No battery with it.) Still Have to check if it's charging, forgot to do that.

S# KC328408

any help is appreciated, I am not that familiar with these unit. I have a Crappy meter I can use. Got all the options, just don't trust the readings much.

Re: Miller Trailblazer 250G, Zero amp control.

Small update. I am getting 60Hz to 180Hz at the outlets. If the meter I have can be trusted. The Battery is not getting charged, going to see tomorrow if the Just the Voltage reg that is shot. R-stat looks like it goes from 0-55 Ohms, no clue if it's in range. However not the problem.

I am thinking of fixing, the no charging problem. that way I have a good base line. I am sure something might want more then batt voltage.

Go to miller website and print out a copy of owners manual.
    https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

Vertify range switches are correct and other switches are in correct position. Vertify your weld cables are on correct lugs.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 10-26-2019 at 11:12 PM.

I have the Manual. CC/DC OC spec is 95V, I am at 145V, 55V on idle. I don't have a way to check the RPM yet. However it sounds like it's at 1800 Idle and 3700 high idle. Kicks down, kicks up. So there is some kind of control problem.

7018 3/32 DCEP, 35-115 DC, at 80%. I know it a bit high, how ever I was using 1/2 plate. Wanted to burn it in a bit. Remote off, using the SMAW switch with the lugs for it. cv is being completely ignored.

ALL settings are doing at least 200 amps, 35-115 @250, 25-80 @250. Rehastat does nothing for fine control. I will see if I can put my amp clamp on it.

I misspoke not 3/32, 1/8. Getting the sizes mixed up. Not a welder by trade, just a grease monkey.

Call Miller tech help line and see what they tell you. Might be the computer board. Do you have a remote or access to a remote and see if it works using the remote.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 10-27-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Will Miller Help on such a old unit? That would be very nice, I will try tomorrow. I know a welder that has a remote, however it's for a Lincoln. I will see if I can borrow it.

Quote Originally Posted by bleach View Post
    I have the Manual. CC/DC OC spec is 95V, I am at 145V, 55V on idle. I don't have a way to check the RPM yet. However it sounds like it's at 1800 Idle and 3700 high idle. Kicks down, kicks up. So there is some kind of control problem.

7018 3/32 DCEP, 35-115 DC, at 80%. I know it a bit high, how ever I was using 1/2 plate. Wanted to burn it in a bit. Remote off, using the SMAW switch with the lugs for it. cv is being completely ignored.

ALL settings are doing at least 200 amps, 35-115 @250, 25-80 @250. Rehastat does nothing for fine control. I will see if I can put my amp clamp on it.
    As far as a tach, I've been putting these on all my engines they work much better and are more accurate than my MAC rf tach that cost a few hundred bucks got one on each of my Trailblazers... 5 wraps with the inductive pickup wire (keep it wrapped on onea the plug wires by putting a few wraps of silicone tape around the 5 wraps) is dead accurate on both my Trailblazers, toss the battery that comes with em and get an energizer the one that comes with lasted 1 week

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

even have one on onea my Harleys its mounted next to the battery under the seat for diagnostic use...
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 11-01-2019 at 10:45 PM.