Electrical requirements for new welder - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Electrical requirements for new welder

Did you happen to look up the wiring guide on the Esab? It certainly doesnt mean its the same? In US Miller is bigger. I have read most of the manuals for Miller, some for Linc in smaller machines, not many of yellow. I think some of their 250 class are heavy duty like the MM252 but don't really work with them. Do the new 200 class use dvi?

I see the Rebel is dvi, the wire size is 12 compared to the Miller of 14. Doesn't have the exact same adapter, has an internal thermal breaker in the machine. Something noteworthy is where it says, low voltage may cause loss of power and poor operation, hi overheats it.

Here are the electrical specs for the ESAB I found:

Name:  esab.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  110.9 KB

I was looking at this thread:

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...for-a-hobbyist

I was thinking maybe I should look into a used Miller 211 transformer type if I can find one. I realize it wont do stick welding any thoughts?

What is your budget?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

If they are for sale? Most people gets them keep em. Along with budget what is the work? Sticks do have their place for field work and some machinery. Having said that I can really do what I do with a 211. My neighbor is typical except for an expert,, but typical needs, hasn't been over in 15 years to weld something since he got a 175. He got a pickup, a snowplow, couple little trailers, bandsaw mill etc and gets along just dandy.
    I like stick outdoor, on equipment, trailers, implement, pit stop structural stuff. Construction, hop around, drag a lead. If you are doing hobby/auto not such a deal. Wire feed works, rest gathers dust.

My budget is around $1500 to $2000. I'm open to maybe spending a little more if I have to but i don't have anything else for welding like a table, tank, welding helmet, metal chopsaw, pliers, gloves etc.

I have a handful of jobs i need to do around the house such as:

Detached hand railing on stairs
    wrought iron gate repair
    make a mulch plate to cover my scag mower chute
    fix up my 12ft aluminum boat.
    make a welding table.

If you want to do alum the cheapest way is spool gun. They list the use down to 14ga but I do 16 on it regularly.
    The industry has had a hard time raising prices on basic models, hence all the features. Most of them I really got no use for, auto this and that, they have limited use. Some models are near the same price the were 30 years ago, makes them a good buy.
    I might look at a basic unit, Hobart 190 or 210 if you need dvi, spool gun ready. A grand or so, I don't recall exact. Great arc, very reliable.
    If you do steady diet of auto body then 023 wire, if general these units run 030 well, small enough for light sheet and big enough to carry current for more punch for structural.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-06-2019 at 11:30 AM.

As for other stuff. Since this is start out its different than what professionals often have, there is a lot of amateur advice from them.
    Grinder, 4 1/2 from Walmarts, 2 is better. Blades for sawzall, some cut off wheels and a couple 1/4. A welding hood, I actually like the HF better than some expensive ones, simple leather gloves you like. Pair of safety glasses. Some soapstoNE and sharpie markers. Find some kind of plate steel, I like 1/4 for this type thing, can set on horses or makeshift stand/bench for now. Some 11R vise grips, couple 6 r and search for some simple decent screw clamps and a pipe clamp.
    440 Channelock, 8 and 12 inch adjustable and a couple squares. Remodels secret weapon,,, maroone Scotchbrite.
    Last edited by Sberry; 11-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.

MM211 $1,315.00
    Rebate $150
    Welder $1,165.00

Spoolmate 150 $458.00

Total $1,623.00

Hobart Handler MVP 210 WITH spool gun $999.00 Northern Tool

C25 shielding gas for Mild steel- depends where ya live but probably looking at $200.00
    Argon for Alooominum.

Then all the rest of the tools that Sberry mentioned.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

The Miller I originally wanted to get was the Miller 215

https://store.cyberweld.com/mimu200muwe9.html

I may take a look at the Hobart MVP 210.

If I found a used Miller 211 transformer type welder what would be a fair price to pay? What would be considered too much?

I'm not sure the added Stick and Tig feature are worth it. But that's just me.

It will bust the budget fo' sho though, by the time you add a spool gun, tanks of gas and the rest of the stuff.

I wasn't a fan of the transformer MM211- had one. Hated it and sold it. BUT I know a lot of folks like them.

I browse CL and never see them listed.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Out of curiosity what didnt you like about the 211?
    What did you sell it for?

My progression.

Learned on a Lincoln Weld Pac 100 120v machine.
    Then I purchased the Lincoln 135 Plus 120v ( Lived in an apt with a small garage)

I liked both of those.

Met up with a couple of guys from the forum at a Welding Meet/Get together and was able to try out the Miller Passport Plus. I was blown away with it's ability on 120v and smooth arc. Even using the spool gun with some AL wire on 120v.
    The Passport is an inverter based design and I really liked the arc characteristics. Best I can describe.

I needed a welding machine to keep at home as I kept the Passport at the shop- bought the MM211 transformer as it was a wee bit cheaper than buying another Passport. Mainly for my wife's welding/art projects.

She even noticed the difference in the arc and asked for the Passport back

Kept the MM211 at work and it just never felt "good". It worked and all but just differently.

The short whips on the small machines were starting to bother us so we spent some $$ for a longer whip- it did come attached to the MM252

We sold the MM211- I think for $800.00 - about 6/7 years ago. I think the original price on the MM211 was 1k. It was on CL for a couple hours, people like the Blue machines.

I still prefer the Passport out of all the machines, even the 252.

I imagine since the new machines are inverter based I'd like them too.

again though- lots of people like their transformer MM211.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I own the ESAB Rebel 215ic, bought it when it first came out, it's a great machine. I use it mostly for MIG and flux core for 14g - 1/2 in steel. It runs fine off of 20 amp circuit for 14 ga, anything heavier I run it off my generator. I upgraded to the Rebel from the ESAB miniarc 161, which was a fantastic machine if you just want to do just stick welding, at 1/3 the cost of the Rebel. But since upgrading to the Rebel I've only used the stick welding function 1 time and that was to burn holes in thick metal. For thinner gauge metal like 14-11 ga, I find it much easier to get quality welds with MIG/Flux core.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk