Sand blaster
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Sand blaster

Sand blaster

I found this on Amazon while searching for a sandblaster. I have metal I want to clean after welding and before painting. My air compressor is only 30 gallons and 5 cfm at 90 PSI. Has anyone used one of these? If so, what are advantages/disadvantages over dry sandblaster? And what abrasive material do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sand blaster

that is designed to be used with a H2O water pressure washer rated for 5000psi. NOT going to work for you.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

I have a pressure washer 3500 psi. The 5000 is the upper limit of your washer. I mentioned the air compressor because I did not think my air compressor would have enough cfm for dry sandblasting.

I used one that was on the border of being big enough. And we used play sand, not sandblasted sand. It worked like crap. The play sand was top course and wouldn’t suck up the siphon tube. I’m sure if I had the right sand it would work better. You need the flow to suck the sand. And you need the pressure to clean the part.

I have used them and they *can* work awesome.... if you have enough pressure and gpm's... even at 4000-4gpm it can be sketchy but will work not too sure about dropping to 3500psi... these things like power!!!... also very important to keep your sand dry for the siphon tube!!!! I usually just use silica sand, since it's wet no silicosis issue at all

The down side is you're gonna have a lot of wet sand you need to deal with.... if you'll be doing a lot I would suggest a blasting/recovery area you can use to recover the sand and then rig up a drying area along with sifting/sorting plates and you'll be ready to go commercial the other downside is once you have blasted steel it will flash rust within minutes of being blasted!!! so you almost always need to do some sort of post blast treatment, I usually went with one of the popular acid etches.

Mr. Rucker uses something similiar -

I picked up one of those pressure-washer sandblaster attachments from Northern Tool, but I have yet to try it, so I don't know how it works. In researching it, I found a variety of kludges people have come up with to address the apparently common problem of sand clumping/not feeding into the gun. You might want to look into that more.

Also, somewhere along the line I found people saying that the best non-sandblasting-type sand to use for them is so-called "pool filter" sand, which I ended up buying at Home Depot, IIRC. I forget why "pool filter" sand was recommended -- again, you might want to research this more.

FWIW

I found that power brushing is an effective way to deal with rust, no BS water, sand, air-compressors, and hoses to screw with, just put on some gloves, safety glasses, face shield, and a dust mask and let-er rip. I use rust converters too.

https://catalog.spiralbrushes.com/pu...1/?page=24#24/
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I found that power brushing is an effective way to deal with rust, no BS water, sand, air-compressors, and hoses to screw with, just put on some gloves, safety glasses, face shield, and a dust mask and let-er rip. I use rust converters too.

https://catalog.spiralbrushes.com/pu...1/?page=24#24/
    tack.....what rust converters have you found work the best?
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

Pool filter sand is just silica sand the HD's around here sell it in 60-80 pound bags, it is a uniform size fractured edge media whick works great in either type blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerhgm View Post
    tack.....what rust converters have you found work the best?
    I found some at Sherwin-Williams made by GEM called Rust Killer. It goes on sort of milky looking but turns to a shiny black when it dries.

Rustolium has a product called a rust reformer. We use it at work (county highway Dept). Seals to stop the rust from growing and makes it paintable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    I found some at Sherwin-Williams made by GEM called Rust Killer. It goes on sort of milky looking but turns to a shiny black when it dries.
    I have had good outcomes using Ace Hardware brand rust converter and Rust Bullet. https://www.rustbullet.com/

For stopping metal in the rack from rusting I use the Ace's product, for areas that see wear, like under a mower deck, I use Rust Bullet.
    Last edited by tackit; 11-06-2019 at 04:33 AM.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

I found that power brushing is an effective way to deal with rust,
    Problem is some complex pieces do not allow to be well cleaned with brushes.... Sandblasting seems to be a better method for this particular application.

Mikel

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    Problem is some complex pieces do not allow to be well cleaned with brushes.... Sandblasting seems to be a better method for this particular application.

Mikel
    I would try today's new kinds of abrasives and fine wire crimped brushes out, unless of course you are set up properly for sandblasting.

Once I took a piece of work maybe 30 ft away from my shop's big door, except for the air hose under it, the door was down and I still had black beauty to clean up inside the shop. Check this page out, https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga-...Blaze-8571.pdf

I have a 4000 psi power washer with the “sand” sucker attachment which I use for blasting my aluminum deck. It works a treat with ground glass but is very slow, uses bags of glass. I was told to use fine glass next time as you get more impacts than with coarse. Its a lot like holding a gorilla by the balls, expect to be wet and exhausted. On the boat I just was it overboard but I’m still finding glass in every crack and cranny.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

It has been a lifelong pursuit for me. I've owned several. My first looked much like what you picture, but it was air only. It didn't work.
    Later I tried a $200. siphon feed open topped thing that was painfully slow. Over the years I've rented or borrowed diesel tow behind compressors, they torture me but work fine.
    I have a big HOTSY brand unit. I can find no info as to its air needs, haven't tried it.
    My latest is a $250. pressure feed machine from NAPA. It works very well. used it on a new to me equipment trailer. It is more thorough than a grinder, and a little faster.

The pressure washer units work very well. They cost thousands and require $5000. pressure washers.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Here's a blaster I built thinking it would run better than the NAPA bag siphon-feed outfit I used before, but my 5HP 80-gallon tank two-stage compressor doesn't have enough CFM to run it the way I hoped it would, it takes forever to do a tire rim.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's a blaster I built thinking it would run better than the NAPA bag siphon-feed outfit I used before, but my 5HP 80-gallon tank two-stage compressor doesn't have enough CFM to run it the way I hoped it would, it takes forever to do a tire rim.
    I think your problem is the crank. They work better with bicycle pedals. Two legs have more power than 1 arm. Some of the high tech offerings use compressed air too.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Lol!!!!!

Years ago we found that some the chemical supply companies would allow us to buy concentrated Hydrochloric acid and they had a specific method that we used to mix it to get the diluted solution that we needed. We built a plastic vat to soak our steel parts in. Then rinsed and then diluted with baking soda that they also sold to us cheap in 50 lb bags to neutralize any acid that was left before we rinsed again in water. Caution this can be very dangerous and the acid is very dangerous if handled and or mixed wrong as far as burning you and or blinding you. Plus one had to be careful where he used it. We cleaned a lot of steel with it and it worked great. Just Thought I would throw that out there for food for thought. By the way years ago I forgot some parts we were cleaning for a customer and I had to replace because they just about disappeared in the solution from leaving in too long. We also used a 185 CFM compressor and a Texas Blaster Sand Blaster to clean parts along with a very large hopper for the sand that I believe held 10 -15 bags for blasting 18 to 36 inch WF beams. Richey

Quote Originally Posted by richey View Post
    Years ago we found that some the chemical supply companies would allow us to buy concentrated Hydrochloric acid and they had a specific method that we used to mix it to get the diluted solution
    Hydrochloride acid is muriatic acid which is used to etch concrete, lower pH in pools and pickle millscale off steel. It works better if you don’t dilute it. The downside is that it is more likely to make your metal rust even if you neutralize it with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). That is why steel is oiled after it is pickled.

Muriatic acid is just a weaker version of hydrochloric acic but nowadays even the box stores sell 'muriatic acid' of course it been cut in half again so by all rights it isn't even muriatic anymore

And remember AAA = Always Add Acid when diluting or modifying the mix

I had one, lost and didn't replace it. The thing worked well. there are a few misconceptions here. 1, yes it rusts, we dry, scuff it with purple and prime. Flash rust doesn't hurt much on structural. 2nd, coarse sharp sand hits harder, the bigger the harder and it really bounces. Soft sand like beach stuff is for penetrating rust pits, hard sharp is for cleaning coatings like hard paint. We do use a mix sometimes so as not to change it.
    Tack,,, that thing should work fair with 5 hp, not great but should clean up a common car rim in short order.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Sberry; Yesterday at 04:36 PM.