Filler for stainless exhaust
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Filler for stainless exhaust

I have a new stainless exhaust for an old truck. It needs some alteration to fit.
    What is the material, what filler should I use? It is about 16 gauge, maybe a bit heavier.
    This is for TIG.
    Last edited by Willie B; 11-06-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Re: Filler for stainless exhaust

It is 304 and best filler would be 308L.

ER347 is recommended for high temp applications, welding 304 to 321 and such. Best thing is you should be able to substitute it for any application that would use ER308 as filler.

Then again ER312 seems to be a good do all filler.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    ER347 is recommended for high temp applications, welding 304 to 321 and such. Best thing is you should be able to substitute it for any application that would use ER308 as filler.

Then again ER312 seems to be a good do all filler.
    Thanks. I just happen to have some.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Seth fell in love with "The Ugly Truckling" a '96 Chevy 3500 with 6.5 Detroit V8 diesel. It's no powerhouse like all the newer diesels are. It has been like owning a boat, a place to throw money. It is useful with hydraulic tailgate, and utility body. He ordered a "custom exhaust" It has proven to be only some of the raw materials to build your own exhaust. Too late, the old exhaust is off the truck. He has cut and fit, I have welded.

What is ER347? I've had three pounds in three sizes for years, never knew what to do with it. It works nice on exhaust tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    What is ER347? I've had three pounds in three sizes for years, never knew what to do with it. It works nice on exhaust tubing.

"High-Performance Stainless Steel TIG Welding Rod: ER347 is used for welding AISI types 304, 304L, 321 and 347 where maximum corrosion resistance is required. 347 contains columbium which acts as a stabilizer against carbide precipitation thereby eliminating intergranular corrosion."

I thought a lot of SS exhausts were 400 series? Take a magnet and check. If it weakly sticks to it, then it is most likely a 400 series. You could also just ask the manufacturer what they used to make it...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I thought a lot of SS exhausts were 400 series? Take a magnet and check. If it weakly sticks to it, then it is most likely a 400 series. You could also just ask the manufacturer what they used to make it...
    I don't speak Chinese. Lord only knows who built it, or where. Such is the nature of buying parts for old machines.

The 347 has worked well. I do need to improve my purge plugs.

So not magnetic at all? I'm mostly just curious...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    So not magnetic at all? I'm mostly just curious...
    Sorry, it took a while to find a magnet and check. It is magnetic. I'd sat as magnetic as steel. What does that mean? Not sarcastic, I sincerely want to know.

Well it means it sure isn't 304. I don't think any of the 300's can be made magnetic without some seriously weird heat treatment schedules, like nobody would do other than as a lab experiment. I wonder if it is actually regular steel and they lied (you did say China after all...)? The times I have tried this with a 400-series SS, the magnet had some light resistance when you pulled it away from the metal but it was nothing like putting it on iron or steel for force.

I did a little searching out of curiosity and found this link which changes what I said above a bit:
    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...allurgy-2.html
    Jody says that 300 series will become magnetic after significant cold working, but that seems unlikely in a manufactured exhaust pipe.

I would guess probably a 400 series, unless they lied and it is plain carbon steel.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Galvanized pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Galvanized pipe?
    Aluminized steel?

Brush it with a stainless wire brush it shines up like stainless. Weld it with less than complete back purge it sugars on the back. It hasn't formed surface rust. I welded with both 308L, and 347 filler both worked nice.
    I did check at a mandrel bend where it would have been worked cold.

Most SS exhaust pipe I've dealt with was 409. I used 308 .035 mig welding wire and tig welded it with no problem.