Argon poisoning? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Argon poisoning?

Any chance it was carbon monoxide from some engine or heater or something?
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Thankfully we have the periodic table of elements to refer to rather than random guesses. A quick reference to it would have answered your initial question immediately that unless you had opened the bottle wide open and laid on the floor directly in front of it, there’s no chance the heavier argon was 6 feet in the air in any quantity under any circumstances.

Simple volume calculations would tell you how many bottles it would take to fill the bottom of the room 6 feet deep in argon, and you don’t have that kind of volume. Nor do you have an airtight room.

What you have is either a result from what you were doing, or bad Chinese food.

Important to realize that just a slight dizziness can onset panic attack and trigger most of the other symptoms. Most of your symptoms sound like a migraine and a panic attack, in that order because the migraine comes with pre-symptoms. I used to be “fortunate” enough to go completely blind right before a migraine. Started as anomalies in my vision ten minutes before i go blind, then right as my vision returned.... bam. 6 hours of hell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

That link is a fun read.
    Last edited by One1; 11-09-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    Miller Millermatic 211 MVP
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

If you're using fuel burning heaters, I'd look at Carbon Monoxide too.

I've had that.

+1 for carbon monoxide poisoning.....
    Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

Dull headache
    Weakness
    Dizziness
    Nausea or vomiting
    Shortness of breath
    Confusion
    Blurred vision
    Loss of consciousness

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GCLfTCm5ZhmrpB

Argon poisoning?

You had acute vertigo, usually resolves spontaneously, nothing to do with Argon, carbon monoxide, rat urine, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The only time I have had a problem that was directly related to gas concentrations was years ago. I was doing a compressor replacement and venting R12 (less than 8 oz) which was legal in 1990. The customer was using kerosene heaters to heat and the R12 was burned by the heaters. This did chase us out of the house for 45 minutes or so until the air cleared with all doors and windows open. It was a small 900 or so sq ft house and that gas was bad enough to chase me and the owner out. I just wonder if you had created a gas that caused a problem you were not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    +1 for carbon monoxide poisoning.....
    Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

Dull headache
    Weakness
    Dizziness
    Nausea or vomiting
    Shortness of breath
    Confusion
    Blurred vision
    Loss of consciousness

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GCLfTCm5ZhmrpB
    JESUS!!!!! I have some of those every day! Is that my problem?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Ye thats full on i'd be spooked as well. Iv'e never heard of that in the 20 years i've been in the industry but I don't doubt it for a second.
    Working inside tanks we always made sure its ventilated. Argon is heavier than air which is why turning upside down makes theoretical sense but the rest of the things that come with hanging upside down would be too much. But keeping the place ventilated is a must.

Basic leak test. Open the valve on the gas cylinder and record the pressure readings and turn off the valve. Check the readings again in a few hour. If there is a leak the recorded pressure would have dropped. An air tight line will maintain the same pressure all night.

You can get Co2 sensors that u can set the threshold but beware, they are expensive.
    Maybe just but a pet canary in the room. If it passes out u know there something wrong. Some old mining tactics. LoL

If problems persist please see your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by mwshaw View Post
    ...I just wonder if you had created a gas that caused a problem you were not aware of.
    Nah, argon is a noble gas, inert, and won't combine with anything to create anything else. It is, and will always be, argon and nothing else (unless it goes through a nuclear reaction and picks up or loses electrons, protons or neutrons, but that generally only happens in the cores of stars or nuclear explosions)...