035 Metal-Cored Pulsed-Spray Arc on 1/8" mild steel using the HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

035 Metal-Cored Pulsed-Spray Arc on 1/8" mild steel using the HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS

I was curious about this metal-cored wire I had read about, so I bought a few rolls of it. Kiswel KX-706M (E70C-6M H4) in 035 and 045 diameters. I knew it can be ran in axial spray-arc, but I was more interested if I could get it to run in pulse-spray on my 200A MIG.

My MIG's don't have a pulsed-spray synergic program for metal-core wire, so I tried the 030 mild steel pulse program with no success. The machine kept "hunting" for the arc length constantly since the burn-off rate of the metal-core wire was sufficiently different from regular mild steel wire. But then I rememered that there was a pulse program for SS308 wire in 035 diameter so I gave it a try and it showed promise.

So I ran many beads trying out different combinations of shielding gas (varying from C25 all the way up to C2), contact tip to work distances, wirefeed speeds, and voltages. After running about 5-6lbs of wire off the 10lb spool, I finally settled on some overall settings that worked out ok as a starting point, (for the purposes of this experiment, that is).

Here are the specifics as they relate to the next pic that shows the cut & etch.

It could probably have benefited from a little more WFS & voltage, along with adjusted travel speed, but then again these are just trials. This is not my indication of "success", I'm merely showing the info I have gathered. With further tweaks/refinements/adjustments in travel speed I think I can get that penetration profile looking a bit better. Also this was a straight push, with no manipulation of the wire/arc.

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Re: 035 Metal-Cored Pulsed-Spray Arc on 1/8" mild steel using the HTP Pro Pulse 220MT

Because 300ipm and 21v would just be too easy
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Re: 035 Metal-Cored Pulsed-Spray Arc on 1/8" mild steel using the HTP Pro Pulse 220MT

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Because 300ipm and 21v would just be too easy
    lol, nah, I was using the preset synergic curve for on the SS308 pulse program, and that just happened to be the wire feed speed designated for that point on the synergic curve. 20.9V was just what it happened to end up when I went up +0.5V from the stock setting.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Interesting! Why haven't you used the wire manufacturer's recommend settings since you don't have the synergic program? I have no first hand experience, but I heard that no manipulation of the gun is needed with this wire, sorta like FCAW-G.

Surprisingly I have this program in my welder for both .035 and .045 but haven't used it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by precivilization; 12-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX TIGRunner
    Fronius Transsteel 2200

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    Interesting! Why haven't you used the wire manufacturer's recommend settings since you don't have the synergic program?

That's simply because I used a non-optimized pulsed-spray program for another different wire on my MIG. The manufacturer settings are for straight up axial spray arc transfer, not pulsed-spray. I actually got the "bug" to try it out after watching ChuckE2009's video where the Fronius rep runs a bead of metal-core wire on the Transsteel 2700.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

C2?

That is odd mixture. I had excellent results with C10 and metal core Vantage .045 wire.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    C2?

That is odd mixture. I had excellent results with C10 and metal core Vantage .045 wire.
    As much as I tried, I could not get satisfactory results with C10. I tried many permutations of all possible variables, but in the end, it was probably because of the non-optimized SS308 pulsed-spray program that I was trying to "make work". Perhaps for standard axial spray transfer C10 will work just fine, maybe I'll try it later. I take it that you ran it in standard spray-arc?

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    As much as I tried, I could not get satisfactory results with C10. I tried many permutations of all possible variables, but in the end, it was probably because of the non-optimized SS308 pulsed-spray program that I was trying to "make work". Perhaps for standard axial spray transfer C10 will work just fine, maybe I'll try it later. I take it that you ran it in standard spray-arc?
    Got a perfect spray arc on my vintage MillerMatic200 with C10 with no spatter at all. Perhaps the pulse gets in the way so to speak.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Nice bit of experimenting, thanks for posting up

I'm not impressed. though. That penetration is ok, but it looks like you've had real issues getting enough penetration on the rest of the beads... I wouldn't be happy with that if I was doing anything critical.

You'd have got better results just running it straight CV.

Nothing against the idea though I think in general, it's hard to get a good penetration profile with metal pulse programs. I've certainly found that for myself, anyway.

Yes I think pulse got in the way because it wasn't made for metal-core wire. I too was expecting better fusion into the root, but then again, it could just be it needs more refinements. Perhaps I need more WFS and voltage and zip right along at a faster rate. I might revisit this experiment again later. Surely regular spray arc could have done better, but then you're limited to flat/horizontal if I'm not mistaken.

HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300 MIG
    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
    HTP ProPulse 220 MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200 TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Only metal cor I’ve ran was with a 12vs feeder powered by a big blue 400 diesel. 90/10 gas. Spray transfer. We had to plug weld holes in some huge I beam flanges. They all had to pass UT and did. All were welded in flat position.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720