Estimating a mobile job - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Estimating a mobile job

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Yeah come to think of it. You might be better off working on the bucket detached from the machine to also prevent any electronic damage to the tractor if it has any modern computerized controls for fuel delivery, timing advances, etc etc etc. Hate to see a sub $400 repair turn into you being liable for a couple thousand dollar repair to the equipments electronics. Better safe than sorry.
    I agree
    You never want a low cost repair cost more.

The may not want to spend money on removing bucket. They are hiring you to do job a low cost.

They just move on to next welder.

This why I say use more one way to protect the lines and cylinders. Also watch where place the ground.

Dave
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

I was told by someone that PAM spray works good as an anti spatter. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Anti spatter is cheaper at my LWS than Pam at Costco
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Anti spatter is cheaper at my LWS than Pam at Costco
    Any heavy oil or grease will do.
    But I only as back up and still use a cover.
    I start with stick and you touch the stick with spatter spay. So cover give protection opp's and spatter spray give protection from snecky sparks.

Last thing I want to do was to buy new hydraulic cylinder and lines.

FYI: A piston rod for a forklift chrome and ground starts around $3,000 today.

Do a little extra will save a lot.

On newer equipment I use spatter spray then wrap with fiberglass insulation and use sheet metal.
    Watch where I place the ground.

Dave

Dave
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Showed up this morning right on the dot at 8:00 am. He had already marked out the approximate location of the hooks. I got the two outer ones tacked, put the rod in, and tacked the others while the rod was aligning them. I preheated them and then welded them out with 7018. Customer was real happy and it sounds like he is going to have a lot more work for me in the future with a driveway entrance, gates, a deck, and some other stuff. I told him I could operate an excavator or backhoe and he asked how much I would charge an hour haha. I also told him I have a dump truck for hire. It sounds like he needs a lot of work done at his site. He was real cool, I hope I get a repeat customer. I see why mobile welders hate trailers for the most part. It was pretty tricky to get turned around especially since we were slopping around with all the mud. My fire extinguisher fell over and discharged in the back of the truck... Thanks for all the help guys!
    Last edited by Keith Merrell; 12-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Nice work

Looks good! I’m glad your customer was happy!
    :

Good job
    Hope you made a lot of money

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrell View Post

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

$380. Will probably be charging a little more next time.

Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Great job and it is very good news he may have more work for you.
    What else were your lessons learned?
    How many hours did this take you?
    How much propane did you use and was that part of your initial estimate?
    Did you realize you forgot something or that there was something that could have made the job faster/easier?
    Don't forget to buy another fire extinguisher.

I am asking those questions more for you to think about so that you can continue to learn and succeed. You have a great future ahead of you.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

And secure the extinguisher we got wrote up the other day for non-secured extinguisher and it was just an extra that had been thrown in cause it was laying around in the shop!!! there was already a regular secured one in the truck...

Looks great Keith !!! Working safe is a must especially if you are alone.

Psacustomcreations posted valid points. Being prepared for the unexpected can make the difference in making $$$$. You don't want to head back home for something. There are different versions of the FIVE P's but I think this is best. Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

I'm proud of you Keith !! I remember about three years ago when you were considering buying a Hypertherm 45. Some of us members contributed to your cause to help meet your purchase AND many of us sent you goodie boxes too. Now we see how far you have come. Good luck in your welding adventure !!!!

Good job. The fire extinguisher should absolutely be secured or encased so that can’t happen. Many years ago while hauling a load of cars out of the Roseville auto center I had one go off in the cab of the truck I was driving. It was a hot day out and the air conditioner was on full blast and I was all sweaty from loading a parking lot full of cars on the hauler. It was a frig’n night mare. Not only was the dust sticking to me because of the sweat but the hvac ventilation system in the cab of the truck was doused in that same yellow powder. I had to drive that damn thing like that all the way back to Stockton. Moral of the story, take a little time as bob said and plan ahead. Make sure everything is secured properly before you begin any trip. By being in a hurry things like this can happen and it only slows you down in the long scheme of things once you consider clean up time as well as the added potential hazard of not having a extinguisher available if you needed it.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 12-08-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

N2 welding, Tony. I was loading a work van one morning and wasn't going fast enough. This guys can has stuff laying all over in piles, including a fire extinguisher. He grabbed the oxygen and just shoved it in. Yep, he hit the fire extinguisher handle. It discharged all that nest yellow stuff all over.
    What mess ! That stuff lasted in there for weeks. I enjoyed his version of a smoke signal.

Yeah it’s a fine powder that finds its way into every little nook and cranny. Not so easy to clean up once the mess is made.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Estimating a mobile job

Keith. I didn’t notice if you mentioned and I can’t tell from the photos but I would carry around a can of primer on your jobs.

Just roughly mask off the welded areas and brush or spray. Whether or not the customer wishes to repaint to look OEM is up to him.

And yes, you will be doing repairs on some poorly maintained equipment where the primer will be the nicest part of the machine. Lol
    Last edited by Lis2323; 12-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    :

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Great job and it is very good news he may have more work for you.
    What else were your lessons learned?
    How many hours did this take you?
    How much propane did you use and was that part of your initial estimate?
    Did you realize you forgot something or that there was something that could have made the job faster/easier?
    Don't forget to buy another fire extinguisher.

I am asking those questions more for you to think about so that you can continue to learn and succeed. You have a great future ahead of you.
    Those are good things to think about. I learned that if I decide to do welding seriously, I will want a flatbed rig on a truck with a short wheelbase instead of a trailer. I also learned that next time I should bring a come along, chains, and a strap in case I have to pull someone out or be pulled out. Same thing with a shovel. Also I learned that I need to have a secured fire extinguisher at all times. I learned that for this to be profitable I need to mount a tool box on the trailer to keep the most basic supplies like my hood, gloves, wire brush, chipping hammer, electrodes, grinder, etc to save loads of time getting my gear together. I also think I ought to get a torch setup so I can heat and bend metal while doing repairs. From when I rolled up to the jobsite (8:00 am exactly) to when I left the site (1:10 pm) it took me about 5 hours, so I under estimated by about an hour and didn't leave any time for cleanup/hitching up the trailer etc. If anything I brought more tools than I needed and duplicates.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Looks great Keith !!! Working safe is a must especially if you are alone.

Psacustomcreations posted valid points. Being prepared for the unexpected can make the difference in making $$$$. You don't want to head back home for something. There are different versions of the FIVE P's but I think this is best. Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

I'm proud of you Keith !! I remember about three years ago when you were considering buying a Hypertherm 45. Some of us members contributed to your cause to help meet your purchase AND many of us sent you goodie boxes too. Now we see how far you have come. Good luck in your welding adventure !!!!
    Thanks for all of that! I used those files too. I still have that grinder and its working great! I kind of think I should get this box and put it on the trailer and put some money back into the business. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/t...015351879.html
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

One thing you should seriously do and keep in the habit of doing is saving a bit of money
    Take 10% of the money from this job and put it in the bank. 10% may not seem like much at times but it is a good amount to start with.
    It is tempting to re-invest all or more than all the money in more tools and equipment. I am very guilty of that. You are young enough that starting to save now will really set some good habits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Very nice keith!

Underbidding is usually the first mistake but it's a mistake everyone makes from time to time, crap happens. You still made some nice coin for your overhead and looks like you did a great job. The customer is happy and talking about more work already - this is the ultimate yelp review for that type of work.

Anytime you see something else you could fix while on a job don't be afraid to let them know you've got the skillset/tools if they'd want that taken care of. Just don't be pushy, overly critical, or negative about it - always come from the angle of being helpful and you can establish some really mutually beneficial business relationships.

The first job is the hardest bc it takes big huevos to jump into it on top of all the knowledge/tools, but it looks like you're well on your way.

Saving is REALLY solid advice, and learning to invest - especially while the market is good - can reap maximum benefits when you start young.

Keith, I would definitely invest in a chain type come along. That's especially handy for equipment repair. A hydraulic bottle jack is one of my favorites too. Mine can be used on its side which can be a life saver.
    It's difficult to keep investing in tools and equipment. You need to determine what type of work is popular near you. Remember, it took me many, many, years to acquire what I have. I'm sure others will say the same. Pulling and pushing tools are pretty much required.

I really love my 10ton porta power setup I bought 25 plus years ago it doesn't get used every day but when you need something like that it is priceless! I also have a few mini rams and stubby rams for it plus a pull back ram

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I really love my 10ton porta power setup I bought 25 plus years ago it doesn't get used every day but when you need something like that it is priceless! I also have a few mini rams and stubby rams for it plus a pull back ram
    I totally agree. I’ve had mine almost 40 years and it’s the handiest thing for pushing things into place for farm repairs especially in the field.

I never did get around to getting a pull back ram for it though. I’m a little slow....

:

I see your wedge is still operational... the first time I tried to use mine it blew the back off the cylinder always meant to fix it... one of these days I'll get too it... still have the parts LOL