Estimating a mobile job - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Estimating a mobile job

It is your start in time you get good at quoting.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrell View Post
    $380. Will probably be charging a little more next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Estimating a mobile job

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    Your price is very fair for 4 hours of work. Bidding jobs like this will get you plenty of work. If you bid jobs like this at $600-$700, don’t expect to get much. Someone else will do it much cheaper.
    True. Mexicans and Salvadorans have welding equipment now. And trucks. They will underbid you on every job. The days they were limited to day laborers at the Home Depot parking lots are gone forever.
    It’s a game changer.
    I used to see guys on job sites all wearing hard hats and harnesses when I was driving by. Now they are all wearing cowboy hats. Pointy boots and no body harnesses.

It’s ridiculous. My local post office, a government building, had workers on scaffolding four floors up. No safety equipment, all wearing cowboy hats. In New York!!

Who the F wears a cowboy hat in New York?

Last edited by yesindeed; 12-11-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Might have been those texas hard hats ....

https://www.tasco-safety.com/categor...hard-hats.html

You done a good job Keith, the only thing I would have done different is add some washers on the end of the bar to keep it from sliding out the side, as far as paint and primer goes if they want it painted they need to make that known in my work. Paint don't last long in the mines anyway.

You mentioned comalongs and chains, yup that comes right after a good selection of homade dogs and wedges and a 3pd a 6 pd and a 12 pd beater. The shovel too, if you are gonna do a lot of heavy equipment work your gonna need it sometimes for cleaning mud off what your gonna be workin on, for digging yourself out of mud and killin copperheads. Chain falls help along with some good slings chokers and shackles, sometimes you got to do your own bullriggin.
    Don't go cheap on the riggin stuff, get good quality chokers and slings and good shackles, Ive seen too may guys get hurt bad usin cheap stuff. Get some education on usin that riggin stuff as well, some of those wrecks could have been avoided using better riggin practices, but if they woulda had better quality riggin it wouldn't have happened. Im not saying its right and proper to do bad rigging at all, no excuse for it. Jacks and porta powers help too.

Don't get this stuff all at once, get it as you need it.

Good luck in your future endeavors, it will go better for you as you go along, you will find out what works for you. What works for one guy might not work for the next guy or me. it will go easier if and when you get a rig built as well. Once again you did good and I think you are gonna go a long way if you stick with it. This country needs more young folks like you who are self starters. Good Luck Be Safe and God Bless You.

Popeye

Thanks Popeye. That bar had a washer on it but I took it off to get it through the hole in the pallet forks. I welded it back on though with 6010.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    You done a good job Keith, the only thing I would have done different is add some washers on the end of the bar to keep it from sliding out the side, as far as paint and primer goes if they want it painted they need to make that known in my work. Paint don't last long in the mines anyway.

You mentioned comalongs and chains, yup that comes right after a good selection of homade dogs and wedges and a 3pd a 6 pd and a 12 pd beater. The shovel too, if you are gonna do a lot of heavy equipment work your gonna need it sometimes for cleaning mud off what your gonna be workin on, for digging yourself out of mud and killin copperheads. Chain falls help along with some good slings chokers and shackles, sometimes you got to do your own bullriggin.
    Don't go cheap on the riggin stuff, get good quality chokers and slings and good shackles, Ive seen too may guys get hurt bad usin cheap stuff. Get some education on usin that riggin stuff as well, some of those wrecks could have been avoided using better riggin practices, but if they woulda had better quality riggin it wouldn't have happened. Im not saying its right and proper to do bad rigging at all, no excuse for it. Jacks and porta powers help too.

Don't get this stuff all at once, get it as you need it.

Good luck in your future endeavors, it will go better for you as you go along, you will find out what works for you. What works for one guy might not work for the next guy or me. it will go easier if and when you get a rig built as well. Once again you did good and I think you are gonna go a long way if you stick with it. This country needs more young folks like you who are self starters. Good Luck Be Safe and God Bless You.

Popeye
    He won't have any copperhead problems here in Arizona, might kill a rattlesnake or 2, I generally manage 3 or 4 a year on our front porch. Keith, don't waste your money on the cable style come-a-longs, spend a few bucks and save tons of frustration and buy the chain type, you'll be miles ahead and much happier in the long haul, I got one at a yard sale the other day just needed cleaned and lubed. The mechanics of them is dirt simple. Harbor freight has them, but I don't know if they're worth packin home, mine ar C/M brand.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 12-11-2019 at 11:29 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Name:  61+x+M-KzcL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  40.5 KB Is this what you're talking about, Caveman?
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Think your light on the price but you already quoted and after a few low jobs you will really get a feel for what you need to charge. Also, sometimes you go cheap to get a foot in the door with a customer, never mind the anti spatter, protect those cylinders, spatter sticks to the chrome and then cuts the hell out of the seals. Don't leave it to chance, cover them up good, cardboard and tape, blankets, oh yeah that just added a half hour to the job right? As above, that price it the cash on the nail price, period. Option is he can bring the machine to your save some money, right? Put the work on your side, position that thing so you can do as much of the work flat as your can, don't care what anyone says, flat weld is your fast weld as long as it doesn't take an act of congress to get it flat. Do a good job and guarantee your work, within reason. Make a list of what you need, don't want to drive 1/2 hr only to find out your forgot your helmet. Good luck, let us know how you made out
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

I completed the job last Saturday. I agree with you about the hydraulic cylinders. I covered them with a welding blanket. Like you said, there were some things I overlooked in pricing it such as set up time, packing up, and I thought my price for driving was a little low. Thanks.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Name:  61+x+M-KzcL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  40.5 KB Is this what you're talking about, Caveman?
    Yes, that's the samething I mentioned.

I've bought a northern tool chain come along and a harbor freight come along. Both are the exact same design. I am very happy with them but the only drawback with the ones from the store are that they're a 5 foot lift. The little switch on one of mine came off and was lost but just made up a new little lever. I also have a Napa porta power and a accessory kit to go with it. Enerpac stuff is the best in my opinion but very expensive. Make sure the couplers on any accessories you get match with your porta power you buy. An assortment of clevis's and slings are also a must have.

Quote Originally Posted by kolot View Post
    Think your light on the price but you already quoted and after a few low jobs you will really get a feel for what you need to charge. Also, sometimes you go cheap to get a foot in the door with a customer, never mind the anti spatter, protect those cylinders, spatter sticks to the chrome and then cuts the hell out of the seals. Don't leave it to chance, cover them up good, cardboard and tape, blankets, oh yeah that just added a half hour to the job right? As above, that price it the cash on the nail price, period. Option is he can bring the machine to your save some money, right? Put the work on your side, position that thing so you can do as much of the work flat as your can, don't care what anyone says, flat weld is your fast weld as long as it doesn't take an act of congress to get it flat. Do a good job and guarantee your work, within reason. Make a list of what you need, don't want to drive 1/2 hr only to find out your forgot your helmet. Good luck, let us know how you made out
    I never liked welding flat, maybe its because I was learned on vertical and overhead right from the start, I know weldin flat unless its on a table is too dam hard on my back and my knees, but then again I am never doin anything on a table, in most cases welding vertical, horizontal and overhead the slag just falls off and all I gotta do is peen it real hard with the needle scaler, no wire brushing dust out of the way for the next pass like doin flat is needed.

Thats is one of those things I mentioned earlier what works for me might not work you the next guy. Just like the comalongs, I never had no luck with the CM brand type comalong, the ones Ive got are called Little Mule and some are made by an outfit called American Power Pull. All of them are made in the USA as far I know. Chain comalongs do work the best, the cable comalongs aint worth a runny s&%t in my opinion.

Keith ive got a suggestion for tool storage ive used for years. Either build your self a small aluminum box with a lid to put your weld hood slag hammer wire brushes tape measure and other small stuff in that your gonna be using constantly and set it in your truck. Get it when your ready for the stuff whats in there. Or use a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. It makes for good storage for that stuff and doubles as a seat when you get to workin. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 12-12-2019 at 05:32 AM.

CM come alongs are pretty commonly used in the piping industry. That's all we ever used. Most of ours were ordered with 20' chains. We did have a few 5' and 10' chain ones. These were made in USA back then.
    All our shackles are made in USA too. Crosby and CM being the most popular. The Import ones do say china on them.

A good used made in USA is a good choice. I have an A B Chance Made in USA 1 ton.

:

Those are cool. I got a call this morning about someone needing something on a dump truck welded. Hopefully I get the job.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Those are cool. I got a call this morning about someone needing something on a dump truck welded. Hopefully I get the job.
    There ya go young fella youre on a roll now, in a week or 2 you wont have time to sleep or eat. I got one question though...what about school?

Well, the guy needed it done immediately. I’m in school full time 5 days a week 8am to 3:20 pm. That’s a shame, but that’s just the way it goes.

Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Dont take that one as a loss. Each time you get a call or email is an opportunity to work on your personal interaction skills.
    Plus it makes you think of the job you could have had.
    Did you ask enough questions to bid the job?
    If you had to bid the job, how would you have done it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Yeah. I was welding in class when he called me so I didn’t have too much time to talk.

Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Congratulations on completing the job. It was profitable. Perhaps an increase on price for attached vs unattached. Regardless of effort to coverage cylinder. Packing vs unpacking...look for ways to be more efficient. Looks like a grinder and welding leads is it , plus the blanket. Placement and Alignment of hooks. What else? 2 hrs work? Drive time?

Ultimately, after everything is covered, it come down to you valuing your time and knowledge. Of course it needs to be a saleable price . Don't be afraid to not accept jobs that you are not comfortable doing. And don't sweat the jobs you don't get...especially if they complain about price or how small the job is.

It doesn't appear you will miss a mortgage payment if you don't land a job, so you can get practice sticking to your price with without compromise or creative/beneficial compromise.

Completed job looks real good, So you left some money on the table but look at it this way, you just bought the best advertisement you can, a nice completed job.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    Millermatic 251 Syncrowave 300 30A spoolgun
    Lincoln MP210
    Hypertherm 45
    (2) LN 25
    (2) Lincoln Weldanpower 225 CV
    (4) SA200 1 short hood SA250 SAM 400

[

Who the F wears a cowboy hat in New York?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Joe Buck
    piece of soapstone
    tape measure
    chipping hammer (wire handle type)
    tip cleaners

That's it Keith, they also have 1 1/2 ton unit that is the same except it has a block on the chain & it doubles back to the body of the come-a-long, I've seen those things used with a three or four foot cheater on the handle, all I can say is that they're tough.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    That's it Keith, they also have 1 1/2 ton unit that is the same except it has a block on the chain & it doubles back to the body of the come-a-long, I've seen those things used with a three or four foot cheater on the handle, all I can say is that they're tough.
    What kind of work do you do down in Ajo? I'm up in Cottonwood.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI