Need help wiring Powermig 255 to Honda EU1000
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help wiring Powermig 255 to Honda EU1000

We are trying to run a Lincoln Powermig 255c of a Honda EU10000. We used the 50amp 4 wire plug on the generator and 3 wire receptacle plug for the welder. I double checked the recptacle with a DVM and had 120 on both hots to ground and 240 across the hots. The welder powers up but won't function. The spool wont turn and the dials for wire speed and heat reall don't change parameters when you turn them. I thought maybe because the used the neutral on the generator so i siwtched it to ground and same exact results so I am at a loss. Do I need to bond the neutral and ground on the receptacle ? I can't see what that would do but i am out of ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig
    Lincoln Tombstone(doesn't everybody have one ?)
    Diesel/Heavy Equipment Mechanic

Re: Need help wiring Powermig 255 to Honda EU1000

is the Auto Throttle off on the Honda ?

Looks like it is on in the photo .

Weird if the 10k doesnt run it as I have run my MM252 off our Honda 6500
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 12-02-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Why is there 4 wire anything involved. Use the outlet with 3 wire and run it to a 3 wire 6-50r and plug it in.

The welder only needs the two hots and the ground no neutral.

If that machine is 1/3 phase then I believe you use cap a unused lead for single phase but do not know any of that as fact on that machine but for certain. 3 wire 2 hots 1 ground from outlet to machine.

On the male plug that goes into gen set did you wire only the black and red to the hots and the green to the ground outer metal case of the plug.

Then the welder only two colored leads and the green ground wire connected.
    Last edited by danielplace; 12-02-2019 at 05:23 PM.

It's hard for me to tell what you have there since the pics are sidways and nothing is labeled. Also have no way to tell what you are plugging in to what.

Looks like the single phase Powermig 255 model has a 120v receptacle built into the welder to power an accessory. If that is the case, the welder should have 4 wires coming out of it. Black, red, white, and green. Also parts of the welder like the drive motor may use 120v circuit instead of the 240v circuit.

Start at the welder:
    Did you install that 3 prong connector on the welder?
    Does the welder have 4 wires coming out?
    Have you had this welder working before before installing a new plug?

If that is the case, the welder should have 4 wires coming out of it. Black, red, white, and green
    That's incorrect. That welder only has two hots and a ground. It doesn't rely on a neutral to make 120v. 120 volts is made by a step down transformer inside the machine.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    It's hard for me to tell what you have there since the pics are sidways and nothing is labeled. Also have no way to tell what you are plugging in to what.

Looks like the single phase Powermig 255 model has a 120v receptacle built into the welder to power an accessory. If that is the case, the welder should have 4 wires coming out of it. Black, red, white, and green. Also parts of the welder like the drive motor may use 120v circuit instead of the 240v circuit.

Start at the welder:
    Did you install that 3 prong connector on the welder?
    Does the welder have 4 wires coming out?
    Have you had this welder working before before installing a new plug?
    Welders are never factory wired 120/240 like that. They are straight 240 volt. Never a neutral to get the 120. As mentioned that is done with transformer or electronics.

You are definitely correct about not really able to understand what is wired to what with the pictures posted.

Single phase for sure would be only 3 wires needed. Two legs of 120 each to get your 240 and your equipment ground.

Just looked up that 255c and regardless if dual volt 208/240 or 230/460/575 triple voltage they all only have two hot connections as it is single phase only.

The taps though do have to be set correctly on either machine for the 240 volt.

https://i.imgur.com/NSxJDYp.png

https://i.imgur.com/i7gZcVT.png
    Last edited by danielplace; 12-02-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    That's incorrect. That welder only has two hots and a ground. It doesn't rely on a neutral to make 120v. 120 volts is made by a step down transformer inside the machine.
    My mistake.

One thing that appears incorrect to me is that the green (equipment ground) wire is not on the green screw of the plug in the second picture.
    Mike

It may be an optical illusion but what is that 4 wire cord in the second pic? That looks like the welder cord from the 3 pic, no? Am I seeing a red wire in the back for a total of 4 wires? Looks like the green wire is connected to the outer sleeve of the plug with red, black, and white with the prongs....

I think the green is connected in the hole, not sure though. I can barely make out the words "green" in front of it.

Name:  gen.png
Views: 105
Size:  69.1 KB
    Did you mean Honda EB10000?

Open up the machine and see what color wires are on L1 and L2. Those are what you need to have 240 volt on. Test at that point and see if you have 240 after verifying that those are the two colors you are connecting to the hot leads from generator.

He is using big plug on left. He needs just the two hots and the equipment ground from the shell of the plug. The neutral should be left unused but it it is there landing it in the plug is not a problem as long as you cap the white in the machine.

If it has a 4 wire cord you MUST open the machine ad verify colors on L1 nd L2 before going further. You only need 3 and should be black red and green if it has four wire and white unused but since they often use the proper 3 wire then the lines would be a white and a black with a green equipment ground just because those are the colors usually used in those cords so someone may be using the white and the black in that 4 wire as the lines. Open it up. Your just missing something. Namely 240 at L1 and L2 because it is wired wrong most likely.
    Last edited by danielplace; 12-02-2019 at 10:41 PM.

sorry guys, the pics came out sideways but the shop mechanic wired the welder side (3 wire) using 2 hots and neutral. I rewired using the 2 hots and ground and capped the neutral with still no success. I actually found a thread on this forum(ironically it came up from an outside google search) that said the 255c will not run off a generator due to the circuitry. I don't quite understand that but I know older (stator rotor ?) generators supposedly had some sort of issue with newer electronics due to the sine wave or something called dirty power ? I am reiterating what i read but don't completely understand it, however the Honda EU10000 is a digital inverter(so it says) so I not sure wwhy it still wont work right. Does any of what I said make sense ?
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Here are the other threads about this issue. I pretty much get this isn't gonna work, but i would like to better understand why..
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...255c+generator

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...p-to-generator
    Last edited by acesneights1; 12-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Here is the welder side. I tried to fix the other pics but they keep uploading sideways. I'll have to take new ones.
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Well sounds like you had it wired up right. 2 hot wires and the green grounds on the case, no white wire (neutral). Pretty much fool proof.

I've heard of the dirty power thing before years ago when inverters came out with tvs and computers but I've never experienced it but I also have never run my old generator on those only in an emergency.

How is that the welder side? I would expect to see the plug not the receptacle.

Have you personally pulled the cover on the machine and checked it is set for 240 volt and measured 240 volt right at the lines of the machine itself ? That is what you must do to ensure the power is there and set correctly also.
    If you have then what they say is probably true. Isn't going to work.

Is it the dual voltage or triple ? Tie bars are set correctly ?

You would expect the power coming out of the Honda inverter to be clean enough and certainly enough amps to run it.
    If that is what they say and that is what happens I guess you got to believe them but like you said, why ? Interesting and a bummer at the same time.
    Last edited by danielplace; 12-03-2019 at 11:26 AM.

I'm sorry, I cannot get this stupid picture straight but here is from the manual.
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Sometimes you have to go into advanced settings to Manage attachments.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

To: Lincoln
    Good morning,

why wont the 255C work on generators?

Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting the Lincoln Electric Customer Service Group. My name is Michael and I am part of the Customer Service Team at The Lincoln Electric Company.

The control board has a micro processor that does not respond well to the generated power.

Thank you for choosing Lincoln Electric for your welding needs. We appreciate your continued business so please contact us if you have additional questions.

When responding back to this email please leave the Reference ID in the subject and the body of the email.

Sincerely,

Michael P
    Customer Service Group
    The Lincoln Electric Company
    22801 St. Clair Avenue
    Cleveland, OH 44117
    Toll Free Customer Service 1-888-935-3877
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Kind of reminds me of these new battery chargers that won't operate when the battery is dead. Technology is grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    To: Lincoln
    Good morning,

why wont the 255C work on generators?

Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting the Lincoln Electric Customer Service Group. My name is Michael and I am part of the Customer Service Team at The Lincoln Electric Company.

The control board has a micro processor that does not respond well to the generated power.

Thank you for choosing Lincoln Electric for your welding needs. We appreciate your continued business so please contact us if you have additional questions.

When responding back to this email please leave the Reference ID in the subject and the body of the email.

Sincerely,

Michael P
    Customer Service Group
    The Lincoln Electric Company
    22801 St. Clair Avenue
    Cleveland, OH 44117
    Toll Free Customer Service 1-888-935-3877
    I just got the exact same email this morning from them except mine said "Stop trying this!!"...Same guy, almost word for word otherwise.
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Name:  gen.png
Views: 105
Size:  69.1 KB
    Did you mean Honda EB10000?
    yes, my bad. EB10000
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Quote Originally Posted by acesneights1 View Post
    I just got the exact same email this morning from them except mine said "Stop trying this!!"...Same guy, almost word for word otherwise.
    I think you should return the email with please STOP building such sensitive crapola. Jeez if you are clean enough for a computer then damn sure should be clean enough for the logic in a dang welder.

They did stop making that welder....years ago
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster