New here.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: New here.

New here.

My name is Kenny I started welding in a fab shop right out of high school. Mostly tack welding for fitters, I worked there for 3 years. I really learned to weld when I got a job working acoal mine construction job building a dragline. after that I was a strip mine welder for 10 years doing dragline maintenance and heavy equipment repair. I worked for a large coal company in central Al until they moved their operation to Columbia. I was laid off and went to nursing school. I worked as a registered nurse for 25 years. Now I am retired and doing part time consulting work teaching electronic patient records to Doctors and nurses. I have started to get back in to the things I enjoy doing, building and repairing things. I will have a lot of questions being that I have been away from it all so long. Thanks for having me.
    Kenny

Re: New here.

Welcome, good to see another old miner here. I been workin in the strippins up here in the anthracite coal region in NE PA since I was kid, except for when I was a roadwhore ironworker for about 13 years building power plants and such. I do a lot of dragline work, excavators face shovels dozers and whatever else they throw at me. Some times do some work in the breakers as well.

Welcome kpeed! Hey popeye, you weren't the only old miner here, I worked 25 years in the copper industry, it was spent as a diesel locomotive mechanic, machinist and foreman.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Welcome kpeed! Hey popeye, you weren't the only old miner here, I worked 25 years in the copper industry, it was spent as a diesel locomotive mechanic, machinist and foreman.

I didn't know that, Im sure there are a few more of us here, lots of stuff needs fixin and we are the ones who fix it

Its great to hear from fellow miners. Popeye and Caveman. I haven't figured out exactly why I loved that work so much but I did. miners are a different breed than Nurses. It was because of the UMWA and the retraining program That I was able to go to Nursing school and make a good living for 25 years. Things are a lot tougher for miners today than in the 70's and 80's.
    again thank you for welcoming me here and the advice i really appreciate it.
    Kenny