The Killing of Charlie Storms: The Birth of Modern Body Armor
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

An Interesting article for gangbangers and welders who run side grinders and chop saws. I'm wondering if wearing silk T-shirts would protect a fabricator/welder from exploding grinder wheels, mini grinder wheels, and chop saw wheels? You can Google to find graphic examples of wounds caused by exploding grinding discs and wheels. Perhaps a study should be encouraged in the viability of silk work T-shirts preventing or at least lessening the seriousness of wounds caused by exploding wheels.
    ​​​​​​​
    I know someone who had a mini grinder's disc explode and tear through his work shirt and T-shirt and lodge beneath the skin on his belly, he was sent to the emergency room to get his wound treated and given a tetnus shot.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/t...by-luke-short/
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Re: The Killing of Charlie Storms: The Birth of Modern Body Armor

i never frorget stories like that, and wont ever think of silk the same way. anyway, chuck/nancy and co., want to ban the sale of body armor to civilians
    Last edited by 123weld; 12-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i never frorget stories like that, and wont ever think of silk the same way. anyway, chuck/nancy and co., want to ban the sale of body armor to civilians
    It's kind of neat how an organic material can be so strong. I think silk was also used to cover airplane wings and fuselages too.
    I've been everywhere but the electric chair, seen everything but the wind...the only two things I can't weld is the crack of dawn and a broken heart!

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    It's kind of neat how an organic material can be so strong. I think silk was also used to cover airplane wings and fuselages too.
    they say a silk thread is stronger than the same size steel thread...

Quantitatively, spider silk is five times stronger than steel of the same diameter. It has been suggested that a Boeing 747 could be stopped in flight by a single pencil-width strand and spider silk is almost as strong as Kevlar, the toughest man-made polymer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3ISu3rObpo7d6Q

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    they say a silk thread is stronger than the same size steel thread...

Quantitatively, spider silk is five times stronger than steel of the same diameter. It has been suggested that a Boeing 747 could be stopped in flight by a single pencil-width strand and spider silk is almost as strong as Kevlar, the toughest man-made polymer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3ISu3rObpo7d6Q
    That's an interesting article Hobby, going to save the link, the properties of silk could be something one of the grandkids can use for a school science project.