Eastwood vs Horrible Freight Horizontal Bandsaw
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eastwood vs Horrible Freight Horizontal Bandsaw

I've been trying to find an economical metal cold cut saw. I have been using a 4" angle grinder and cut off disc for years. I'm a hobbyist, so I don't need anything high production quality. I considered a chop saw - non-abrasive - and I might still do that, but they also have their limitations. I started looking on the forum for bandsaws and came across several threads on the HF 4x6 and others. I can see the value in having something that can make clean cuts that require less cleanup, and can be used in both horizontal and vertical positions. I considered a portable band saw and a SWAG Off Road table, but by the time I buy all that, I could have bought one of these. Space isn't that much of a consideration.

I'd appreciate some feedback from those that have it (the most recent version) or of the Eastwood bandsaw. The HF saw is currently $260 (I see the 20% coupons are no longer good for Central Machinery brands) and the Eastwood is $400.

https://www.harborfreight.com/horizo...saw-93762.html

https://www.eastwood.com/horizontal-...l-bandsaw.html
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG
    https://www.mylilmule.us

Re: Eastwood vs Horrible Freight Horizontal Bandsaw

They are basically the same saw. Buy the HF and use the extra money on good blades.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

They are basically the same saw. Buy the HF and use the extra money on good blades.
    +1 I love my Harbor Freight saw, and I only use the crappy HF bimetal blades. They work well enough for my needs. Better blades can't hurt.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

The HF saw is pretty good. I gotta few miles on mine, and it's ok for what it is. Only major difference between the two, is the paint.

I found that it likes Morse blades. They're more flexible (14t rake). The HF saw doesn't have a very robust tensioning system, and it really hates any kind of stiff blade.

It looks like the same saw just Eastwood cost more.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
    I've been trying to find an economical metal cold cut saw. I have been using a 4" angle grinder and cut off disc for years. I'm a hobbyist, so I don't need anything high production quality. I considered a chop saw - non-abrasive - and I might still do that, but they also have their limitations. I started looking on the forum for bandsaws and came across several threads on the HF 4x6 and others. I can see the value in having something that can make clean cuts that require less cleanup, and can be used in both horizontal and vertical positions. I considered a portable band saw and a SWAG Off Road table, but by the time I buy all that, I could have bought one of these. Space isn't that much of a consideration.

I'd appreciate some feedback from those that have it (the most recent version) or of the Eastwood bandsaw. The HF saw is currently $260 (I see the 20% coupons are no longer good for Central Machinery brands) and the Eastwood is $400.

https://www.harborfreight.com/horizo...saw-93762.html

https://www.eastwood.com/horizontal-...l-bandsaw.html
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

buy the HF saw and 2 cans of Rustolium paint, 1 black the other navy blue and ya'll have the same saw when your done painting

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The HF saw is pretty good. I gotta few miles on mine, and it's ok for what it is. Only major difference between the two, is the paint.

I found that it likes Morse blades. They're more flexible (14t rake). The HF saw doesn't have a very robust tensioning system, and it really hates any kind of stiff blade.
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    buy the HF saw and 2 cans of Rustolium paint, 1 black the other navy blue and ya'll have the same saw when your done painting
    LOL
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG

My harbor freight is at least 12 years old. $115.00 back then with 30% off coupon. Cuts great but all these are slow. I recently replaced the motor with one from a old craftsman table saw.
    I buy my blades from Farm and Fleet. I would recommend making a your own base, theirs is really low. Make up a material rest stand . Here's one I did utilizing part of a pipe clamp . Got it cheap cheap at garage sale . I have a piece of channel with clips weld on that drops over angle for flatstock. Takes up little space and is handy. The old metal tub is great for catching the filings and cutoffs.

My real saw is a Ellis 1600.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I recently replaced my old ENCO that had nearly stripped the brass gear with a Harbor Freight saw, the new saw cut great out of the box, virtually no adjustment needed.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I agree cuts great out box
    If brass gear ever goes my I just replace with belts.
    This third saw that owned build with same castings. The first two I use as back saw in shop so welders could cut and weld at same time. The only resign I don't is selling other tools and they want the little saw too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I recently replaced my old ENCO that had nearly stripped the brass gear with a Harbor Freight saw, the new saw cut great out of the box, virtually no adjustment needed.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

BD1 that material stand using the pipe clamp is ingenious. I would have never thought of that and it'd be hard to engineer a more bomb proof/fast setup.

I had a HF and they drilled the hole for the hinge crooked so it would never cut square along that axis. Do yourself a favor and get something a little bigger with hydraulic downfeed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For a little more check out the small Baileigh Industrial saw. Has swivel head, Hydraulic down and a great vise.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    BD1 that material stand using the pipe clamp is ingenious. I would have never thought of that and it'd be hard to engineer a more bomb proof/fast setup.
    Thanks . It's been handy and takes up very little space. It's great for lightweight material.

These 4 x 6 saws are all basically the same, I had been using the old enco since about 1980, it was used when I bought it. If you buy any of the chinese 4 x 6 saws check the facebook videos on what to check before going into use with it, apparently some of them have som issues with some gears not being quite right an cousing premature wear, the cure is simple and requires some filing.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by jh1990 View Post
    I had a HF and they drilled the hole for the hinge crooked so it would never cut square along that axis. Do yourself a favor and get something a little bigger with hydraulic downfeed.

That doesn't sound very budget friendly.
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    For a little more check out the small Baileigh Industrial saw. Has swivel head, Hydraulic down and a great vise.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "a little more" but $1,000 vs. $260 doesn't fit my definition.
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the HF one soon. I just wish they had an active coupon for it. I did see they just had one that expired 12/15/19 that would have saved me $60.
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG

fortunately its a rare situation based on the tons of positive feedback for the HF saws... all 3 of mine are the older.. much older green version and ya asked bout the new ones so only thing I can say bout them is to advise ya to do a search for discussion on 4x6 bandsaws and ya'll find a ton of positive owners of the new and older HF saw, my oldest iwas made in 1987 bought it new the other two were used 1 heavily abused and left outside (guy wanted $30 I gave him $10) my youngest was made in 1996 all of em cut perfectly straight and are still running the original motors etc.. I regularly slice off pieces from 1/8" 2x2 tube that are less than blade width thick to verify the saw is tracking good before I start cutting metal for any project... we also have an Ellis 1600 but the old HF saws are easier to move around the shop so everyone tends to use one of them more often.. the key is good quality blades mine all run "Olson" brand blades and like I said... slicing off less than .025 sections of square tube is no issue

edit; BTW with HFs 30 day return policy ya just needa unpack the saw and look it over then do some test cuts with a quality blade (not the one that came with it) a cheap blade usually will not cut straight, do a google search like I said for 4x6 bandsaws and find out what problems to check for within that 30 day window if ya find a problem ya are not comfortable with exchange it for another saw or get a refund... thats pretty budget friendly if ya ask me

bonus is that for the price diff. of a HF vs Eastwood ya can also add a hydraulic down feed and other goddies to the HF saw if ya wish.. (grizzly replacement hyd. downfeed is $125 and easily adapted, but ya'll learn that after ya do the search I suggested) not to mention buy ya plenty of quality blades
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 01-12-2020 at 07:40 PM.

I had a taiwanese 4x6 it was fine, blades made a huge difference, it started cutting crooked and chucking blades on every cut, there's a bunch of how to fix on them, I chose to place at the curb for the scrappers, any, and I mean any 7x12 with 3/4"blade for about double the price would be money well spent, if your dead set on not spending a lot buy a milwaukee or Dewalt portaband

Well I wasted a lot of time on that 4x6.

Spent about $100 more on a used Grizzly with coolant, and hydraulic downfeed. Way nicer saw.

Granted it could take a long time to find a used saw in decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jh1990 View Post
    Well I wasted a lot of time on that 4x6.

Spent about $100 more on a used Grizzly with coolant, and hydraulic downfeed. Way nicer saw.

Granted it could take a long time to find a used saw in decent shape.

I've been looking. Haven't found one yet. The HF saw will have to do until one comes along.
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    Recommendations for blades? A lot of will I will be cutting is .120 wall square tube and flat bar.
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG

The HF saw is a fine saw for the money. I used the hell out of it for 12 plus years. I got my blades at my LWS

I had one of those. the quality was no better than the HF saw. Yes the HF doesn't have the same swivel head or vice, but the bow, wheels and drive train were all the same. In my mind the Baileigh is not worth the money.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster