Wow!!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Wow!!

Wow!!

And you guys wonder why I spend an inordinate amount of time repairing my old junk. We're a cheeeeezy little cow/calf operation, and most decent stuff is absolutely out of our price range...…...so it's old crap here at the compound.

First off...…...compared to a new one......it's a pretty reasonable price.

Second...….I find it obscene that the thing went to someone who won't even use the dam thing

Third...…...the way the things are made these days, a guy CANNOT work on them. Everything is computerized, and the dealer rapes ya with proprietary software. This is driving the used market thru the roof Little guys, like me, are being priced out of the market.

Re: Wow!!

This is more in our league,, and it's still high. Both my 190xt's were about 3500 each.

Wow Sammm, you're lucky to be able to afford something as new as you got ... my personal stuff is a bit older... but I can still make it run(sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    And you guys wonder why I spend an inordinate amount of time repairing my old junk. We're a cheeeeezy little cow/calf operation, and most decent stuff is absolutely out of our price range...…...so it's old crap here at the compound.

First off...…...compared to a new one......it's a pretty reasonable price.

Second...….I find it obscene that the thing went to someone who won't even use the dam thing

Third...…...the way the things are made these days, a guy CANNOT work on them. Everything is computerized, and the dealer rapes ya with proprietary software. This is driving the used market thru the roof Little guys, like me, are being priced out of the market.
    4440's routinely sell around here for $20 to $30k Cdn. depending on condition (about the same as we payed for ours in the 90's with a third of the hours) but I saw one go at auction here with 10,000 hrs on go for $40k. Sometimes auction prices just get out of line with the real market. I hear you with the electronically controlled computer tractors though... don't have one, don't want one.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I saw a news clip a few days ago that said farmers were going with the older equipment because it could be repaired, unlike some of the new stuff. It sounds like that must be correct.

Totally agree on the computerized crap.

Just had my truck go through this with a check engine light showing trouble codes for a lean fuel problem.

Turned out it was the barometric readings from the mass air flow sensor under-reporting the air volume to the computer. This was after the dealership diagnosed the problem as a failing fuel pump.

Sheesh, how complicated does this stuff have to get ?

My work truck has been running really rich ultra high idle for a little while now, so I finally got a chance to put a code reader on it... didn't see much til I scrolled down at the temp... sensor was telling the motor it's coolant was forty below!!!!

Easy enough to change once I removed the air intake ducting but just shows you how one little POS sensor can mess up a good engine.
    Name:  96f250tempsensor.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  59.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    Totally agree on the computerized crap.

Just had my truck go through this with a check engine light showing trouble codes for a lean fuel problem.

Turned out it was the barometric readings from the mass air flow sensor under-reporting the air volume to the computer. This was after the dealership diagnosed the problem as a failing fuel pump.

Sheesh, how complicated does this stuff have to get ?
    I have the manuals on my trucks, and God are they a life saver. My specs show different readings for different baro's on the MAP. You just match the cycles with the baro to see if you're in tolerance. Mine is pre MAF, and just has MAP. I think both of my motors were **** canned because they couldn't meet EPA standards after the 90's.

I have the manuals on my trucks, and God are they a life saver. My specs show different readings for different baro's on the MAP. You just match the cycles with the baro to see if you're in tolerance. Mine is pre MAF, and just has MAP. I think both of my motors were **** canned because they couldn't meet EPA standards after the 90's.
    It was more then likely that Ford could sell way more parts with the newer Bicycle Chain, and Sprocket engines.

My 5.8 still runs like new..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

A buddy of mine manages several large farms in the Phoenix area, he has a fancy relatively new harvester that recently quit working, wouldn't do ANYTHING! He finally got a field tech out to troubleshoot it and it turned out to be something with the air conditioner or HVAC on the thing, probably has something to do with keeping the cab pressurized for safety reasons, this computer controlled crap can drive ya nuts!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

This is more in our league,, and it's still high. Both my 190xt's were about 3500 each.
    Grew up running a 440 Allis for the neighbor. Triple Nickel! It would shake the AC Compressor off after the first week in the field each year so the rest of the time was spent with the doors open eating dust listening to that motor screaming through straight stacks.
    Please dont mistake my enthusiasm for talent!

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    A buddy of mine manages several large farms in the Phoenix area, he has a fancy relatively new harvester that recently quit working, wouldn't do ANYTHING! He finally got a field tech out to troubleshoot it and it turned out to be something with the air conditioner or HVAC on the thing, probably has something to do with keeping the cab pressurized for safety reasons, this computer controlled crap can drive ya nuts!
    I was cursing my old 4020 with the blade on it for being too small and too cold for pushing snow (it has a noisy cab, but no heat). I pulled into my seed dealer's yard and he had a brand new track tractor with a 12 or 14 ft. blower on it that wouldn't move. Temp senders said the transmission oil was too cold so it was shut down even with extra block heaters and oil heaters. I guess small and old has it's place...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I have JD 4440 with only 3600 hours. It's hooked to a 20' batwing mower and only gets used for clipping pastures and mowing road ditches. I keep it inside and run it for a bit every month in the off season, just to keep things working. After looking at some auctions in RFDTV, there's no telling what it's worth...

I wouldn't have a problem bidding up to $28k Cdn. on it ( current exchange puts us at .765 US). Depending on the day I'd say it would bring $28 to $42k Cdn.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les