power washer sandblaster media
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

power washer sandblaster media

I bought a device that attaches to a power washer so I can sandblast. I chose this because it is cheap compared to dry sandblasting that requires a huge air compressor. The recommendation is to use silica sand. I searched for silica sand and the CDC says its banned for sandblasting use because it causes silicosis and lists the number of people who have died from this.
    So my question is:
    What is a good safe alternative media that would work well in my pressure washer sandblaster? Northern tool sold black beauty, but I did not know if this would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: power washer sandblaster media

You should be able to use silica sand since it will be wet and there should be little or no air born dust for you to breathe in.
    ---Meltedmetal

Ground glass. I use it on my boat deck but was told that fine is better than the coarse I am using. I found the sand difficult to keep dry then it won't flow. No worries with wet sand, wash it off or pick it up wet.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Ground glass or sharp hard coarse sand is for removing hard coatings, paint. Soft like beach sand is for removing pitted rust.

I went through the pressure washer blasting game a couple years ago and will probably never mess with it again. You need a water jet nozzle sized for your pump. In my case that was 4.0gpm @3600psi. It took wide open throttle on the Honda 13hp and max pressure on the regulator to make it happen. I used kiln dried silica sandblasting sand 20/40 grit. I could not get it to draw reliably through the siphon hose. I threw together a pressure pot to force feed it. That worked well. You will use a lot of sand, on the order of 8-10 lbs per minute. It is far less efficient and much slower than regular pressure blasting, with the added drawback that you get soaking wet and have wet sand stuck in every orifice of your being. I wore coveralls and was still shaking sand out of the pants 3 washes later. Since everything is wet after, it will flash rust instantly. You will need to spray everything down with ospho to kill that rust and brighten the metal back up. It did leave a good profile for paint adhesion.

I just skip the water bs now and hook the pot straight to the screw compressor and blast away. With 100cfm, I can almost run a 1/4" nozzle, but keep better pressure with a 3/16" @ 250lbs of media an hour. It's 5x as fast as the pressure washer. There's also a local blasting guy that works for $60/hr and for that small fee, it isn't worth messing with any of this unless I'm in a real pinch.

Eat your heart out safetynazis

Quote Originally Posted by gtermini View Post

Eat your heart out safetynazis
    You'll shoot your eye out with that thing!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    You should be able to use silica sand since it will be wet and there should be little or no air born dust for you to breathe in.
    x10

I use only silica #30 sand when using mine and is perfectly safe when using it wet it does work great but like some have mentioned it is kind of a pain and would be cheaper to take stuff to a pro if you could...

Sandblasting with sand or anything else for that matter is fine as long as you wear any sort of decent respirator . The $16 3M on Amazon are just fine.
    The troubles with wet is that it’s going to want to immediately rust because it’s wet. Dry just makes a bigass mess in your driveway. Pick your poison .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a wet sander setup with a a 4gpm pressure washer. All I have ever used is play sand from HomeDepot here in Canada. It works very well.

I tried HD's play sand and whatever they call their other sand... and all it would do is jam up(too much oversize) maybe they grade your stuff better up there....

I used the cheapo Campbell Hausfeld version of a water sand blaster to prep an antique tractor for paint. I used bagged sandblasting sand from the local redi-mix place. It had some large pebbles which would clog the nozzle, so I used a window screen to filter the large pieces out, and it worked OK. It was a cheap get-me-by, and I haven't had to use it since.

You can by sand from Home Depot
    This what I use for sand blasting. It cheap too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    I bought a device that attaches to a power washer so I can sandblast. I chose this because it is cheap compared to dry sandblasting that requires a huge air compressor. The recommendation is to use silica sand. I searched for silica sand and the CDC says its banned for sandblasting use because it causes silicosis and lists the number of people who have died from this.
    So my question is:
    What is a good safe alternative media that would work well in my pressure washer sandblaster? Northern tool sold black beauty, but I did not know if this would work.

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    You can by sand from Home Depot
    This what I use for sand blasting. It cheap too.

Dave
    I bought the power washer sandblaster from Northern Tool called powerhorse. It was designed for 3500 PSI washer and that is what I used. The media was coal slag. I placed it in a bucket and put a cover on it. The bag said to keep it dry, but we had a lot of rain and humidity and I think that ruined it. I was able to clean rust/millscale from a piece of square tubing, but it took forever. It would blast well then stop. If I went back and stirred the media with the wand and restarted, there was a slight delay and then it would work great but then fade out. I kept stirring the coal slag to finish. I don’t know how to dry my coal slag out. If it was a hot dry Texas summer, it would be easy, but it is a rainy winter right now.
    I want to try sand. So, my question for you is, what sand do you use from home depot and do you filter it through a screen? If so, what filter do you use?

The HD's around here have at least three different types of sand.

#30 silica sand 100 pound sacks : works best - doesn't clog - is graded very good

play sand 40-50 pound sacks : works terrible - not graded very good at all - all kinds of oversized - you would have to rescreen it yourself.

utility sand 40-50 pound sacks : works.... not so good - graded ok - has enough oversize to clog up every minute or so - would probably need to be rescreened.

Now I don't know if the HD's over here are sourcing their sand products the same as around you or not... So things might be a little different.

After I tried the 'cheap' sand from HD I got some silica sand and stuck with it If you have a contained area you can rescreen/reuse it but it needs to be very dry...

Thanks for reply. My first powerwasher blaster was designed for 3500 PSI and mine was 2700, so I tried one designed for 2500 PSI and still no luck with coal slag. It just will not pick enough up. I went to home depot and all they had was play sand and general purpose sand. I will try Lowes. Whenever coal slag is picked up it works, but I would need someone constantly agitating the wand in the bucket while I sprayed. If silica sand does not work, I will have to give up. I am only allowed 3/4 “ water meter connection and my house is 800 feet from the meter. Even though I ran 2” pipe, the pressure and flow are low. It would not do any good to upgrade to a more powerful pressure washer since the inflow is not enough.