In the market for new MIG machine
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

In the market for new MIG machine

My Miller 175 MIG is 20 + years old and I am ready to upgrade.

I build and modify drag race cars using mild steel tubing in the range of .065 to .140 tubing and mild steel plate up to 3/16 range. Which new MIG machine is a good fit for my needs. This will be for my personal shop, hobby usage, not everyday production usage.

Re: In the market for new MIG machine

Any of them will work including the one you have. The 210 class have a pinch more poop,,, if I wanted a full size chassis/roll machine the Hobart IM230 would be on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Any of them will work including the one you have. The 210 class have a pinch more poop,,, if I wanted a full size chassis/roll machine the Hobart IM230 would be on my short list.
    I agree, with 20+ years building/modifying drag cars, I'm sure you could show MIG machines new things. Them fancy new ones are more for the kids like me, who just like bells, whistels, dials, and screens.

Oh, and welcome from South Texas. Hopefully the weather didn't hit too hard up there.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

SBerry, at your recomendation I reserched the Hobart Ironman 230.

That welder has so many positive reviews I decided to buy one. I am satisfied it will be a nice upgrade from my high milage 175 Miller

Your 175 is a nice rig, I agree with strawberry the hobart 230 is nice, htp 240 looks good also in the 1500 range little more the lincoln 256 1900 local price, my money on a "not everyday welder" the hobart wins, tapped, simple quality