0.030" Wire for Welding 3/8" Plate?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

0.030" Wire for Welding 3/8" Plate?

Hi Guys,

I've been welding a lot with my Miller 211 and I'm stepping up to 3/8" plate. I noticed my machine has settings for running 0.030" wire on 3/8" plate, but Hobart's spool only suggests welding up to 1/8" with 0.030" wire. I'm using 3/8" plate because I need the strength so my question is if I can get a good reliable weld with 0.030" on 3/8" plate or do I need to step up to 0.035"? I will be doing multiple passes in either case and likely pre-heat with oxy acetylene. Thanks!

Re: 0.030" Wire for Welding 3/8" Plate?

You can do that.

Pre heating I would use propane torch AKA weed burner it is cheaper.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've been welding a lot with my Miller 211 and I'm stepping up to 3/8" plate. I noticed my machine has settings for running 0.030" wire on 3/8" plate, but Hobart's spool only suggests welding up to 1/8" with 0.030" wire. I'm using 3/8" plate because I need the strength so my question is if I can get a good reliable weld with 0.030" on 3/8" plate or do I need to step up to 0.035"? I will be doing multiple passes in either case and likely pre-heat with oxy acetylene. Thanks!
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

It will do it, but you can also set up 030 ER70S-6 for spray-transfer on 92/8 Ar/CO₂, or 95/5 to 98/2 Ar/O₂, as someone here did it on the 211 Inverter (you didn't say which one you had, so I'm just guessing). Have to watch the duty cycle though.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

I think weldcrazy has the old transformer model, remember seeing his weld cart thread.

I agree with Oscar

In pass I did not worry about duty cycle.
    The new small welds have duty cycle 20% to 40% exciting will burn electronics. Weld from 2 minutes to 4 minutes out of 10 minutes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It will do it, but you can also set up 030 ER70S-6 for spray-transfer on 92/8 Ar/CO₂, or 95/5 to 98/2 Ar/O₂, as someone here did it on the 211 Inverter (you didn't say which one you had, so I'm just guessing). Have to watch the duty cycle though.

I do have the old transformer model 211. i'm glad to hear it sounds like I can handle 3/8" plate with 0.030" wire although I did just notice I have some 0.035 wire on hand as well. However, if there's no need to swap out for a stronger weld it makes my life easier.

If you are maxing out the machine settings you will get a bigger weld puddle by using the .035 wire vs. the .030 as there is more metal being deposited from the machine while running the wire at the max wire feed speed “not familiar with how hot the 211 is capable of running” but that does not mean the machine will run the crispiest puddle with maxed out wfs. You have to play around with both wires to see which one gives you the best bead profile “wets in” at close to max settings. The hotter you can run it the better providing you keep up on the travel speed and not build up too much metal. Too hot and too fast of travel speed and you can end up with undercut although it’s not likely with your machine on that thickness of plate.

Another option for getting max penetration is to use flux core but dual shield flux core. It is available in .035 wire thickness. Lincoln and ESAB both make a pretty decent dual shield flux core wire. Fair warning Dual Shield Flux Core is a a very hot process. Once again I’m not familiar with the 211 so I’m not sure but I’m thinking it might/should have enough voltage and wfs to run .035 dual shield flux core.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-15-2020 at 01:13 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Yup, "dual shield" aka FCAW-G will run "spray-like" (tip starts to "needle") using C25 when you get into the 190A range on 035, with lower voltage requirement than spray on solid wire.

There is also metal-core E70C-6M H4 in 035 that can go into spray as low as ~140A, but then you have to use C10 up to C5 for that. But it can also run in C25, but the transition-current is likely much higher as well.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

The real question is position and application ? I run 030 on 3/8 but wouldn't gusset a backhoe boom with it.
    I've built presses and stuff like that with 3 passes of 030 on 3/8 lap and horizontal or 3/8 to a lighter bracket like a 1/4" ear to a 3/8 plate.
    Done it with a 211 transformer on CO2. If I had to do 20-30 pieces I'd install a roll of 035 or just reach for a 7018 and be done with it

A ton of the hobby shop buzz boxes cap out at 225 amps. Just grabbing a stick doesn't necessarily guarantee magical success.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    A ton of the hobby shop buzz boxes cap out at 225 amps. Just grabbing a stick doesn't necessarily guarantee magical success.
    Then you aren't a real welder. 3/8 and a buzzer on 7018 x 1/8 get along fine with 135 amps or so.
    225 Lincolns have built more "schtuff' than most anything on this spinning ball of dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Then you aren't a real welder. 3/8 and a buzzer on 7018 x 1/8 get along fine with 135 amps or so.
    225 Lincolns have built more "schtuff' than most anything on this spinning ball of dirt
    And you are?? I used to own a lil lincoln buzz box for quite a few years untill it was stolen. I've knocked enough of you wonder boys 6011 chit apart with a sledge hammer and chisel to know half the crap you know it alls schtuff isn't everything you think it is.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Whatya building ?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I got a couple projects for heavy plate. The easier project I'm starting off with is a hitch receiver for my truck with a D-ring welded to it. This would allow me to pull stuff out until I build a heavy duty steel bumper. D-ring welded to small plate welded to 3/8" plate welded to a 3/16" 2x2 tube. Should be fairly straight forward but obviously don't want the welds to break when yanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    And you are?? I used to own a lil lincoln buzz box for quite a few years untill it was stolen. I've knocked enough of you wonder boys 6011 chit apart with a sledge hammer and chisel to know half the crap you know it alls schtuff isn't everything you think it is.
    Naw. I'm just a hobby trainee. Watch out tho !
    PS Can I get a link to the best chisel you use ?

Naw. I'm just a hobby trainee. Watch out tho !
    PS Can I get a link to the best chisel you use ?
    Sears and Roebuck, circa 1971-to-73ish. I threw that catalogue away .. Best chisel I have and ever had.

WeldCrazyDude

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Whatya building ?
    The real question is position and application . . .

What you are doing [first] - establishes the parameters [second] . . .

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Hi Guys,
    . . . stepping up to 3/8" plate . . . can get a good reliable weld with .030 . . .
    or do I need to step up to .035 . . . I will be doing multiple passes in either
    case and likely pre-heat with oxy acetylene . . .

Your machine has a top limit: of 'heat thru the wire' = wetting - aka fusion . . .

The bigger the wire: the less fusion heat - and further diminished by increased
    thickness of your weldment . . .

This is why 'MIG like TIG' weld technique comes into play - and may historically
    be grounded - in thick weld applications with underpowered machines . . .

Ox-Acet preheat - with ambient/A 36 - highlights your confusion . . .

hth

Opus

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post
    WeldCrazyDude

What you are doing [first] - establishes the parameters [second] . . .

Your machine has a top limit: of 'heat thru the wire' = wetting - aka fusion . . .

The bigger the wire: the less fusion heat - and further diminished by increased
    thickness of your weldment . . .

This is why 'MIG like TIG' weld technique comes into play - and may historically
    be grounded - in thick weld applications with underpowered machines . . .

Ox-Acet preheat - with ambient/A 36 - highlights your confusion . . .

hth

Opus
    I'm not sure I understand this comment. It sounds like you're saying thicker welding wire (0.035") causes less heat of fusion and therefore a weaker weld versus 0.030. Most comments up to this point suggest welding with 0.035 is better as it fills in the puddle. Also, I don't believe the Miller 211 is under powered for this application as it shows proper settings for either type of wire. Furthermore, why am I confused by pre-heating with oxy acetylene? My understanding is pre-heating aids in penetration? If I'm mistaken, I'd like to why and the "right" way to proceed as that's why I'm posting on the forum! Thanks!

What limited experience I have with wire tells me a coupla things.

The higher current needed to weld thicker material, because that material is a heat sink, doesn't like thin wire. Push a lot of current through .030 wire (flux core), and you start to get porosity, and a spattery mess. .035 wire will handle the current necessary to provide enough heat for thicker material. So, I believe wire thickness is about more than deposition rate.

I think electricians refer to this as ampacity.

Far as stick welding goes...…..I truly believe it's a better choice for those of us with limited means. Thicker material likes stick welding.

AC vs. DC stick welding on small transformer machines...… On the little buzzbox, which I almost exclusively use, the AC side gives me up to 225 amps......enough to successfully run 5/32 7018AC...….lotta punch in those thicker rods......excellent for thick material. In the AC mode, these machines will run 1/8 7018AC all day long at 135amps. On the DC side, wide open at 125amps, the machine will run 1/8 7018DC like a champ, but ya need to take a break every so often.

When I say "like a champ", it's relative. A nicer welder will have a cleaner arc, and a smoother puddle when running DC. But, I'd do a contest with anybody when it comes to AC 7018 rod on these machines...…….nothing will lay a prettier bead....which, in reality, is a function of the rod itself, in the way it's formulated.