Welding table. Where to purchase
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding table. Where to purchase

I'm a fairly new welder just doing little projects in my garage. I acquired a table from my neighbor who passed but found out it wasn't close to flat, mainly due to the multiple piece top.

Where's a good place to purchase a new top or even a new table reasonably? I would like a smaller table, about 2x4 or 2x3. I live in s/e Michigan if theres a local place. I also looked at Certiflat tables online. I have an Alro metals outlet nearby but thought that a table with holes would be convenient for clamping??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Re: Welding table. Where to purchase

I would call local suppliers and see what they have. You may find odd size drops say 32x46 or whatever for less money than a 36x48.
    You could check craigslist and facebook marketplace too for tables or plate.
    Flat top no holes or holes ? Depends on what you are doing, I prefer no holes. Holes are great IF your projects require lots of clamping like roll cages or frames. For basic welding projects or repairs no holes works.
    I say buy at least a 1/2'' thick plate for the top. Many say 1/4'' is fine too. Depends on how much you want to spend and how the frame is built.
    There is a welding table thead here if you want ideas. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...picture-thread

This is one I built with one of my female students. She did well and learned a lot. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ble&highlight=

I wouldn't know about holes.....that kind anyhoo .Get a chunk of 1/2 from a local welding shop. A good shop will have drops around and sell it to you for about what it costs per pound and a lil $$$ to cut it to your specs

I built my from scraps
    Low cost and it was a welding project too.

https://weldingweb.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1520703077

https://weldingweb.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1520703134

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Table

See post 9

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike E. View Post
    I'm a fairly new welder just doing little projects in my garage. I acquired a table from my neighbor who passed but found out it wasn't close to flat, mainly due to the multiple piece top.

Where's a good place to purchase a new top or even a new table reasonably? I would like a smaller table, about 2x4 or 2x3. I live in s/e Michigan if theres a local place. I also looked at Certiflat tables online. I have an Alro metals outlet nearby but thought that a table with holes would be convenient for clamping??

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Try at steel suppliers or weld shops as mentioned above ask for drops but sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole plate, I got a real nice flat plate a odd size 33"x58"x5/8" for 45 or 50 bucks wish I would have bought more

Some times you can get a deal at a scrap yard recycling center. Not all will sell to the public. I found a nice 1/2" piece of plate 24" x 41" for about $80 " $0.50 per lbs " then built the frame out of a couple of different weight lifting machines I got for free. I used the plate on top of some aluminum saw horses I have for the longest time. It does not have to cost a small fortune if you are frugal.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-16-2020 at 01:42 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Do not buy one. A decently thick top of 1/2” will be expensive. Affordable 12 gauge tops are not worth owning. Do not cut the top with a torch or plasma cutter. You will warp it. I wanted a 36” x 48” top but could not find one so I picked up 48 x48” and was glad I did. You will definitely use that extra space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would modify the one you have. Instructive and a lot less $. I made mine out of square tubes. Only wish it were heavier (until I have to move it)

I cut the top off already, now I'm looking for a good deal on a top at least 1/2" thick.