Want to learn to weld - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Want to learn to weld

Quote Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
    The nearest big store to me is 2 hours away. It is hard to buy local if it means 4 hours round trip of driving. I have a tractor supply about an hour away that sells Hobart.
    Some tractor stuff do have tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    honestly.. my bet is your going to run into a project that the 120 volt machine will fall flat on its face and next we will see the inevitable post "what am I doing wrong" which always results from folks trying to learn with a 120 volt machine usually its related to not enough duty cycle or trying to weld that 1/4" bracket on the trailer with a machine that is struggling to weld 1/8" material... at least trade up to a 220 volt machine with at least 200 amps available as ya have a 50 amp circuit
    ↑ This ↑ exactly. Please spare us from the "what am I doing wrong" thread!

Oh and get a respirator.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

If you can step up to something in the 200 amp range you will be much better. There are a lot of option of multiprocess welders going in the 500-700 dollar range out there. Consider if you also want to learn to tig or weld aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
    Just to clarify. I wired my own house, just pulled a 125 amp subpanel to my shed to run a sauna and who knows what else. My garage has multiple 20A 120v circuits, as well as multiple 240v circuits in 20, 30, and 50 amperages. So power is not a problem. From what i have read this welder which is use an inverter does not usually have a problem blowing a 20a circuit breaker.

I will likely be self taught so am leaning towards MIG to start so learning goes easier. I have been told by more than one person MIG is the easiest to learn. If I need to learn Stick or TIG down the line, I will buy those machines if I have the space to store them. I brew my own beer so i have hired a sanitary welder in the past to create brewing equipment for me. If I need to have something done sanitary or weld 2" plate I will hire someone with the right equipment and skills.

What I want is to be able to do some hobbyist welding fix and patch things. For now my immediate needs I would like to be able to alter things on my trailer or roof rack. Nothing structural or critical. I have 3 boat trailers and would like to be able to create some lash points so I could tie a step stool onto the trailer or add some metal to my roof rack to be able to put a bike rack on it.

My welder is still in the box in the back of my truck so if I should start off with a 240v unit, I can do that.
    If getting 240 to your garage isnt an issue, suggest getting a dual voltage setup. The 125A flux core is OK...but it WILL limit what you can do.

If you can save up for the Titanium 170, the Titanium Unlimited 200, or similar 120/240 welders, it will open up the options (flux core, gas shielded, stick, DC TIG).

I started with a Miller dual voltage MIG and recently added a 2nd machine for TIG and Stick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

Anybody have any suggestions concerning welding in a woodworking shop? I avoid welding in my old wood garage bc of sawdust etc. maybe it goes without saying?.?

You should consider the Lincoln 210 mp it is 1100 right now and is a great machine 120/240 stick mig Tig DC. Easy to use with a user friendly menu that walks you thru it.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    Trailblazer 325 excel efi
    Lincoln c300
    Esab Caddy Tig 2200i E34
    Fronius Transpocket 150
    Fronius transsteel 2200
    Hypertherm 45 xp
    Miller x-treme 375
    Other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by armand55 View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions concerning welding in a woodworking shop? I avoid welding in my old wood garage bc of sawdust etc. maybe it goes without saying?.?
    yea,,, DON'T until ya clean up the saw dust... TIG is so precise ya might get away with it but its if ya don't have a real dust collection system it would be like useing a bic lighter to find a gas leak

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    yea,,, DON'T until ya clean up the saw dust...
    +1. Sawdust and sparks don't mix.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

I have a dust collection system. Except when it is really cold and nasty I tend to do all my major sawdust work outside. My plan is when i finish my shed/storage is to move out some of my equipment and stuff into it and devote a corner to welding which I will put up fireproofing to protect the surrouding area. Now that i think of it the welding shops I have been it are all metal. I have a lot of wood in my shop and other flamables. I need to figure out how to create a safe corner for welding.

I run my Lincoln 180 HD off 30 amps and it handles everything i throw at it. As and off road fabricator, I deal in 1/8", 3/16th", .90 wall, .120 wall, mild, 4130 and DOM, hot roll and cold roll...
    Welds last longer than Love...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
    +1. Sawdust and sparks don't mix.
    Well actually they DO mix quite well.....
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Well actually they DO mix quite well.....
    downright symbiotic relationship in fact... the sparks allow the saw dust to release its stored energy and in return the saw dust gives the spark a larger life

Photobug; easier/safer to setup area to "park" welding equipment in a corner and setup an area outside the garage for welding... fiberglass blankets make handy flame proof screens screens if ya mount em to even wooden frames to support the blankets so that they store easily outa the way when not in use but setup quickly to shield walls or pets / spectators from arc flash or flame etc.. block wind as needed 3 "panels" either of sheet metal or fiberglass blankets on frames that can be connected to form a cubicle to work in while welding.. keeps all the sparks outside away from saw dust etc.. add in 2 water type 2.5 gallon fire extinguishers ya can set near at hand while welding and your all set, when ya want to weld fold out your screens against an outside garage wall so the building acts as primary wind break use 1 of the screens to protect the wall from heat and the other 2 on each side of ya and weld away..

when I started at 12 I had no "garage could only store my welder in there as it was occupied by my mom's Pontiac Firebird which took up the whole thing and there were all kinds of flammables in it not to mention the garage itself was wood so.. I used 3 sheets of 4x8x 1/2" plywood with holes drilled in the ends so I could tie em together with nylon rope my welding area was the closed garage door and the cement driveway AFTER I pulled all the weeds and grass outa it.... sometimes I worked against its back wall in the back yard but as there was grass in the yard (Albany oregon) I was always havin to stop welding to put out fires and hide the damage from mom so the cement driveway was my main welding area... I ended up adding a 4th sheet of plywood after a neighbor across the street complained that if I welded in the evening the arc light strobed his front window so I shielded all 4 sides if evening approached and no more complaints
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; Today at 08:25 PM.