+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powcon 250 ac/dc welder questions

Post Thanks / Like

Powcon 250 ac/dc welder questions

I just bought a used Powcon 250 ac/dc tig welder. I have searched the web and have found very little info other than arc products in San Diego is the place with parts, etc. I will be calling them first thing Monday morning. In the mean time, if anyone has any info or assistance, I'd appreciate it!

It has a 17pin connector on the front for a remote. Anyone have a pin-out for it or info on adapting another foot or hand control to this welder?

Manual? Anyone have one? Is this something I have to get from Arc Products?

Thank you,

Steve in Portland

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powcon 250 ac/dc welder questions

Hi Steve
    It might help to post the model number and a photo. I have a few Powcon welders and really love them. I think most but not all Powcon welders with AC were really Kemppi welders. If the welder has a sheet metal cover and not the fiberglass then I would think it's a Kemppi. Powcon Made some of there own stuff and rebadge/painted hobart, Kemppi and others. Kemppi welders are great welders but have bad/little support in the US. I have a few manuals for the Powcons but don't think I have the one you need. Arc Products should have anything you need if it is the true Powcon but may not be able to help with the Kemppi. If it is a sheet metal cover there should be a pin out and other info on the inside cover. I have the info about the 17 and more common 14 pin AMP remote for the Powcon but it might be different for the Kemppi. You should be able to get the foot pedal from Kemppi, Arc Products or SSC? but it might cost more than the welder. CK has hand control that should work also.
    There was a guy on this group that used to be a sales/repair rep. for Powcon that wrote he would help me with one of my welders. That was almost a year ago now so I don't think that offer was real. You could try to search old threads on Powcon for his info.
    let me know if I can help
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like

It has a sheet metal cover and is a transformer unit.

The Part Number is 111001-001. Serial Number is K200268.

Who is CK or SSC?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get the welder to start. There is another thread that says something about the coolant switch. Is the cooling system required to start an arc? I bought an air cooled torch to use with this. How can I trick the cooling system?

Post Thanks / Like

I found some info and am posting it in case someone else needs it down the road.

Arc Products has nothing at all for these machines. Earl Beck in Maryland (800) 296-9353 has a user manual. (I ordered one)

CK makes both of their hand controls to work with the machine. The rotary control is part number raccv-5-2-p17.

SSC makes a foot pedal part number C880-1725 $190.
    Last edited by slodat; 04-30-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Correction, the CK rotary control is part number raccv-5-2-k174

If the Powcon welder has both a 17pin and a 4pin amphenol connector, it requires both on the remote current control. The 17 pin is for amperage control and the 4 pin is to start the contactor.

Post Thanks / Like

Got this back from Kemppi - Corresponding Kemppi model is Kempotig 250 AC/DC

(Adding this in case anyone searches for it, to save the duplicate research effort)

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a Powcon Ac/DC 250 Welding Machine since 1993 exact replica like the one in the picture shown. I am just beginning to experience major problems with the unit itself. I opened the cabinet to discover two blown resistors. it took some time to track down and obtain the resistors. I unsoldered the faulty resistors and replaced them with the identical replacement ones. I turned the machine on and "FRIED" them within seconds. I suspect there may be additional problems. Hopefully there are schematics out there to assist me in troubleshooting and addressing problems I could really use the assistance. I love this piece of equipment.Bar none after a Welding carreer spaning 45 years it has been the best piece of equipment I have yet to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi slodat
    I need to see if you could send me a copy of you User Manual to see how and where the Gas Solenoid is and the type. that I can replace it with. I have a PowCon 250 AC/DC 111001-001 S/N K201062

Thank U Lloyd at lloyd.dodd@calpia.ca.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone, I am new here and needing some experienced help.

I have a powcon 250 ac dc I just purchased the machine and initially, after plugging it in on my 240 it did not respond well.
    On stick DC + mode the machine gave me just little spark but no arc (using 7018 rod)
    on DC - mode it gave me a brighter spark but still not arc (still using 718 rod)

I then figure out the machine was set up for 460
    I changed it to 220/240 and still on DC + it gave me the same spark no arc but
    on DC - it gave me powerful arc

When I try on DC + since I have the digital display of the voltage I am using
    Let's say: if I set it up for 130 when the electrode touches the metal it falls down to almost zero

Does any of yous can brainstorm a solution?
    Hope everyone is safe and healthy

G

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist