Post Thanks / Like

cst 280/ wire feeder?

Can I run a 12VS feeder with a CST 280?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cst 280/ wire feeder?

bump.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sort of... You can run a VS feeder from any CC power source with enough amps to run large FC wire in spray mode. Small solid wire in short arc ( which is what most people think of when they think of mig) will not run well at all. The feeder simply can not make the wire speed adjustments fast enough to mimic CV running that type of wire. Large wire FC is a hot process and will lay down a ton of material in a hurry, but vertical and overhead will be a PITA to run. It's probably not what you want to run. If you have heavy steel that needs big welds, fine, but if you need to do less than 3/8" it's probably not worth the hassle.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DSW thats what I thought but wasn't sure. Looks like I might need to start looking for a mig machine. Again Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

If you already have the 12VS you don't necessarily need a dedicated MIG machine, just a CV power source. An XMT would work, among others.