+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Recipe Thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Recipe Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by dumb as a stump View Post
    My Potato Pancake Recipe
    Stumpy, now I really want to make some of those spud cakes. You've inspired my appetite.

Post Thanks / Like

Took me a couple days to find them Larry-O, made these myself, you should use as a starter, tweak them for your liking, if you want it a little sweeter, add some brown sugar, or add tomato paste to your liking, dont forget that vinegar and/or liquid smoke is a "major" contributor to the taste of homemade BBQ sauce,

The one with the bourbon, I tweaked it with a little more brown sugar and an extra shot of bourbon and a big dash of ground red pepper, smoked up some baby backs, when they were almost done I basted them heavily, cranked up the heat on my smoker and brought the sauce to light glaze, holy schlitz, that was awesome

Ingredients:

2 cups ketchup
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat. Stirring occasionally and simmer for 20 minutes. Sauce should be thin, but not watery. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate. Sauce is better if allow to sit for a day.

Yield: Makes about 2 cups
    Ingredients:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

Preparation: Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan and let simmer for 10 minutes. I made this one to use on chicken

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
    1/3 cup bourbon
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 In 1-quart saucepan, mix all ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking and stirring until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joshfromsaltlake View Post
    Stumpy, now I really want to make some of those spud cakes. You've inspired my appetite.
    Glad I could help. Ps I'm told you can add a can of like tuna or something like that. When my mom was small they used to have it with salt cod fish added (east coaster). Enjoy.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Apple Drop Cobbler

2 16 oz. cans of Apple pie filling
    1 stick whole butter
    1 box 18 oz. white cake mix
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour the apple pie filling into the pan/pans & level it out, I use my 2 bread pans, or if your pan is big enough you just use one.. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the pie filling. Sprinkle the white cake mix on top of the pie filling & cinnamon. Cut the butter up into thin slices & cover the top of the cake mix. Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 mins. And it's just that easy, Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks drjuan.

I'll let you know how i go.

Post Thanks / Like

Chili

I make this in an 8-qt non-stick pot, but a dutch oven would work fine. Feeds 8-10 hungry people (with rice and maybe bread).

1 lb ground beef
    1 lb ground pork (you can just use more beef but this really makes a difference)
    1 med/large onion diced
    3 large cloves garlic minced
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 TBsp cumin
    1 TBsp oregano
    3 TBsp chili powder
    2 cans diced tomato (14 oz)
    3 cans tomato sauce (14 oz)
    1/2 tsp salt
    Black pepper to taste
    I usually also add a whole chipotle pepper

Brown meat and set aside
    Saute onions in meat fat till translucent
    Add garlic and saute another 3-4 mins (if garlic goes in at the same time as the onion it tends to burn before onions are done)
    put back meat and all remaining ingredients.
    bring to a low simmer and cook covered for at least 2 hours. more is better.
    Toward the end, if the chili looks too watery, remove top to let more steam escape.

I like to serve over rice....

Enjoy
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

Steak and potatoes with vegtibale and or salad and starch (another potatoe or corn) and Black Angus fed with high altitude grain (more protien) beef doesnt get better but the boys in Montana beg to differ. Boiring routine. My Norewigian Girlfriend makes ausome potetoes but tonight its micro.

Post Thanks / Like

Istilts HMMM that sounds good and all those apples in the kitchen right now. I see a variation on the horizon. thanks for the idea.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Post Thanks / Like

We've got to keep this moooving along.
    My Everyday Rice

Ingrediants:
    1 14 oz Can Peas
    1 10 oz Can Mushrooms
    Chicken soup base powder (about 2 tablespoons)
    1 teaspoon grated ginger root (keep this once peeled of skin keep in a ziplock bag in the freezer)
    Minute rice (about 1.5 cups)
    Pre-cooked chicken optional (1/2 inch cubes or shredded)

Instruction:
    Open and pour into a pot Both the peas and the mushrooms with the water. Turn on the heat and while heating grate the ginger into the water bring to a boil. Add the Chicken soup base powder and if you want, the precooked chicken. When the water boils add the rice (about 1.5 cups). Now basically you are putting the same amount of rice as the 2 cans. (I don't really measure it anymore or at least notice what the measuring cup says). I let the pot boil about 1 minute (while I stir it) cover remove from the heat and let sit for about 4 or 5 minutes, uncover and serve.
    Note: Be aware that this can be kept in the fridge and microwaved on high for about 1.5 minutes or until hot. Good with a little butter or margarine (your preference).

Chicken Option:
    So my wife doesn't like “old dried out chicken breast” and that's all I will eat so this is what I do with chicken for this recipe and she loves it. I put a couple boneless skinless (bones and skin is icky) in a pan (like a bakeing dish). I put about 3/4 cup of water in a measuring cup with some of the chicken soup powder in the microwave so it starts to get hot and will mix well. Pour the water mixture into baking dish and cover with tin foil. Put that in the oven at around 325 F for about 15 or 20 min (check with thermometer). This will not be browned BUT moist OMG and “super chickeny”.

Note: The chicken soup powder makes a chicken broth but allows you to also use the flavoured water from the peas and mushrooms etc. If you are not familiar with this stuff, you will find lots of uses once you start to play with it. I buy it for about 3 bucks for a 400 gram bag and it makes about 3 or 4 gallons of broth. It also has longer expiry times (although mine never expires) and also comes in beef. The beef gets a bit chunky with age but is still really useful. It adds a lot of flavour to gravy’s too. HMMM. Both of these are like OXO cubes (on steroids) for 1/10 of the price.

Done from memory (I don't use recipes for alot of my regular stuff but I think it's right)
    Pete Edmonds June 2012
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

Post Thanks / Like

..............Supper From A Tin Foil POUCH...Not HAT!!...........

This could not be any easier either..
    You will need..

(1) 3 LB boneless beef chuck roast..
    2 onions peeled and cut into quarters..
    6 Medium Red Potatoes cleaned and quartered..
    4 Carrots peeled and cut into 1 1/2" pieces..
    4 Celery stalks cut into 3 pieces..
    2 Bay Leaves..
    3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce..

RUB.
    3 Tablespoons Corn Starch..
    4 Teaspoons Onion Powder..
    2 Teaspoons Light Brown Sugar..
    2 Teaspoons Salt..
    2 Teaspoons Fresh Ground Pepper..
    1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder..
    1 Teaspoon Dry Thyme..
    1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed..

Pre heat oven with rack in center to 275 degrees..

Mix all the rub stuff together in a small bowl..
    Separate the roast into 2 pieces along the natural seam..You'll see it.
    Trim off most of the fat..
    Tie kitchen twine around both roasts in 1 inch intervals putting them back together..

Crisscross 2 LARGE pieces of tin foil in a BIG baking sheet..
    Mix up the veggies and place in the foil with the 2 Bay Leaves..
    Splash the soy over the veggies..
    Season with fresh pepper..

Rub the roasts down with the rub and don't be shy..
    Place roasts on top of veggies

Seal up the tinfoil and place in oven and cook about 5-6 Hrs...DON'T OPEN THE FOIL UNTIL DONE!!!

When done discard bay leaves..
    Place veggies and roast on a platter and drizzle the pan juices over the top..
    Who needs a knife?
    This is fall apart good all by itself!

ENJOY!!

Name:  Roast 001.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  Roast 002.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  64.9 KB

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

ok whose got a good recipe for blue gills..aka sunnies or whatever you call em from your area....I have a ton of them in my pond..I hear they are great eating ..but would like a recipe that someone has beent time tested..thanxs..

Post Thanks / Like

I had them as a kid, but not since. They are so good, but so little!

Like Sand Dabs, the size obstacle is the only challenge.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Roadkill, we just scale em, fillet em, shake em in a grocery bag with 1 cup of cornmeal & as much lemon pepper as suits your taste, then pan, or deep fry em in olive oil & eat em. Or just bake the fillets, sealed in foil with butter & lemon pepper I would like for someone to post a good hush puppie recipe, if you have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lstilts View Post
    Roadkill, we just scale em, fillet em, shake em in a grocery bag with 1 cup of cornmeal & as much lemon pepper as suits your taste, then pan, or deep fry em in olive oil & eat em. Or just bake the fillets, sealed in foil with butter & lemon pepper I would like for someone to post a good hush puppie recipe, if you have one.
    thankyou..so you leave the skin on?..and do you eat the skin too?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Apple Drop Cobbler

2 16 oz. cans of Apple pie filling
    1 stick whole butter
    1 box 18 oz. white cake mix
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour the apple pie filling into the pan/pans & level it out, I use my 2 bread pans, or if your pan is big enough you just use one.. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the pie filling. Sprinkle the white cake mix on top of the pie filling & cinnamon. Cut the butter up into thin slices & cover the top of the cake mix. Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 mins. And it's just that easy, Enjoy!
    This works really good with a can of crushed pineapple and a can of cherry pie filling substituted for the Apple and cinnamon. You can also use chocolate cake mix. I usually use a 9x13 pan. It can also be done in a dutch oven out at the camp. My kids love it.
    "Liberalism is a mental disorder" Dr. Savage

Post Thanks / Like

Zap that roast looks awfull.. I'll be right over. Dont eat it it looks like it will make you sick..Where do live again.. I copied it and will put it into the rotation some day soon. Thanks
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillbobb View Post
    ok whose got a good recipe for blue gills..aka sunnies or whatever you call em from your area....I have a ton of them in my pond..I hear they are great eating ..but would like a recipe that someone has beent time tested..thanxs..
    Well any kind of boned and fileted fish is great with butter and dill baked in the oven on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil (for the mess cleanup) Top rack 400 check with thermometer.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

Post Thanks / Like

English Muffin w/Tomato, Mozzarella & Parmesan Cheese

Split & toast an english muffin , cover both half's with mozzarella cheese, put it back in the oven & melt the cheese, sprinkle both half's with parmesan cheese, cut a 1/2 to 3/4 inch slice of fresh tomato, put the tomato between the two half's of the english muffin, & eat up!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: English Muffin w/Tomato, Mozzarella & Parmesan Cheese

Split & toast an english muffin , cover both half's with mozzarella cheese, put it back in the oven & melt the cheese, sprinkle both half's with parmesan cheese, cut a 1/2 to 3/4 inch slice of fresh tomato, put the tomato between the two half's of the english muffin, & eat up!
    That sounds good and also seems to be good portion control (I sometimes have a problem with that) thanks for the idea.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

Post Thanks / Like

What happened does no one eat food ??? Just welding rod?
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

Post Thanks / Like

Preetty simple this:

BBQ Corn:

First I am not a fan of BBQ corn, but I was turned on to this and its about the only version I like:

Peel and clean sweet corn. Dry after washing, once dry, liberally ( needs a lot as it cooks off) with Mayonaise, really goober it on.

Then shake it down with garlic salt, don't get crazy but it will need more than you think, as dash is not enough, but don't get so crazy it gets salty.

Wrap in tin foil, I actually goober the mayonaise on the corn when sitting on the tin foil so its less messy.

After wrapping put it on the BBQ and cook just like you would buttered corn, again don't overdo it you want it to be juicy.

Simple easy addition to your next BBQ

Post Thanks / Like

Another solution to corn on the cob..

Leave it in the husk and place in a 400 degree oven on the rack for 20 mins.
    Perfect every time.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Another solution to corn on the cob..

Leave it in the husk and place in a 400 degree oven on the rack for 20 mins.
    Perfect every time.

...zap!
    That works on the BBQ too
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

Post Thanks / Like

Bob's Famous New York Style Cheese Cake:
    Cheesecake mix
    2 lbs creame cheese (4 packs) (Philadelphia is the best) (warm to room temp)
    1 to 1 1/3 cups sugar
    6 or 7 eggs (large)
    2 tablespoons flour
    juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons if using the bottle type)
    1 pint heavy cream (NOT WHIPPING CREAM)
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Crust:
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2/3 of a 1/4lb bar of butter (approx 5 - 6 tablespoons) melted

Line the bottom of a 10" springform pan with parchment paper. Butter the sides. Make the crust first. Mix the crust ingredients and press into the 10" pan. Go up the sides a little bit with the crumb mixture to seal the bottom. Refrigerate for approx 20 minutes while making the cheesecake filling.

For cheesecake filling, mix all ingredients as stated in order:
    Cream the cheese and sugar - 4 minutes
    Add 3 eggs and beat in well - 2 minutes
    Add remaining eggs and beat in well - 2 minutes
    (scrape sides of mixing bowl occasionally)
    Add flour - beat in well -1 minute
    Add heavy cream - beat in well - 1 minute
    Add the vanilla - beat in well -1 minute

Preheat oven to 350 degree's
    Pour cheesecake mixture into pan and bake at 350 degree's for 65 minutes if using a conventional oven, or 35 minutes if using a convection oven. When timer goes off, shut oven off but leave in oven with door closed for 30 minutes. Then open oven door and leave cake in for an additional 30 minutes. After that, take the cake out of oven, run a sharp thin knife around the edge of the pan to separate the cake from the ring/pan. (this makes it easier to release the ring after the cake has cooled off and won't break the edge).
    Refrigerate for approx 24 hours before eating.

A couple of notes about this recipe:
    As this cake is baking, it will rise above the top of the pan by as much as 3/4 of an inch, do not be alarmed.
    I have been experimenting /improving on this recipe for well over 35 years and have tried all kinds of variations. If you follow this recipe, it will turn out very well.
    This cake tastes it's best when served COLD! ENJOY
    Best Bob

Post Thanks / Like

clean shucked corn Im gonna try this next time
    http://www.wimp.com/shuckcorn/
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist