+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA 211i or Miller Multimatic 200

Post Thanks / Like

TA 211i or Miller Multimatic 200

Any one have any experience with the two of these machines. Pros or cons of either one. Looking for a portable machine and thinking the multi function might be a nice option. Any thoughts? Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TA 211i or Miller Multimatic 200

bump any input is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the Multimatic at Millers Under the Hood and it ran real nice in MIG mode.....if I could finaggle one for a weekend it would be nice to try it out in all three modes.The Multimatic uses the Passport MIG tech and the Maxstar tech for tig and stick.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a couple of maxstars over the years they run tig and stick nice. I would like to get some input on the Thermal Arc 211i. I have been considering the 2 the TA is much cheaper then the Miller, but everything I have is blue.

Post Thanks / Like

The TA 211i is also a lot heavier. I was considering the 211 until I found out how much it weighs.

I would also like to hear more about the Multimatic, particularly as regards stick-welding performance.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I saw the weight difference 29lbs compared to 58lbs. Don't really want to lug the extra weight around but if it is a better machine so be it. The duty cycle on the TA 211 looks a little better. The TA also holds a 33lb spool.

Post Thanks / Like

And it appears that on the TA211i there is No carrying handle! An optional 'cage' is available that looks like it would allow you to carry it, but it is an extra cost option. If a Hobart 210MVP that weighs 89# can have a handle why not a 56# 211i?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my Multimatic 200 setup. It arrived the day before I went on vacation. Ran the first beads tonight.

I only had 90/10 CO/Ar. My C25 is in the shed in the back yard and didn't feel like grabing a flashlight and walking it back.

Steel I had was on the thick side of 3/16. I used 110V plug and it was in a standard 15 Amp outlet (backed by a 20 Amp breaker and its 12 gauge wire).

I cleaned the steel with a flap wheel. One side.
    Setup was using the autoset. Which if I remember was 19V and 275 with .030 wire size.
    It welded very smooth but the start of the welds were cold. Almost TIG like. Hardly any spatter. The start of the weld was very cold. Like a caterpiller. Definite lines/bends on the edges. About 1/2 inch into the weld it flattened out a bit. Definitly blended in to the sides but I wouldn't call it wetting out. I don't have enough experience to tell if its the gas or not. I added .4 volts and about 25 ipm and not much difference (you can 'tweak' the autoset). After a minute or two, I could hear the cooling fan come on. Cooling fan is a bit whiney compared to the fans on bigger welders. Comparable to the fan on my Hypertherm (but louder) and Maxstar. Fan shut off after about a minute of cooling.
    I switched to 1/4" settings and quite frankly the bead still didn't flatten out.

The beads were incredibly smooth for out of the box setting. Overall, I really really like this machine and for 1/8" and on the car type projects I suspect it will be great even on 110V.

Things to be aware of:
    It is the only one of these mult-use machines that run on 110V and 220V. On thinner material it runs identically on either voltage (well, at least I can't tell the difference).
    The autoset is really done right. Gets you in the ballpark and lets you tweak from there.
    The Twelco connectors are mini size, so your accessories for something like a Maxstar or Dynasty will not work. Also for TIG, the pedal is a 4 pin one. Miller makes an adapter fo the pedal. Not sure what is available for Twelcos. Kind of a shame since I have so much cable/wire with the bigger Twelco. I'm thinking when the warranty is up, I might change the connectors.
    One thing, I haven't figured out how to setup the post flow timer (if there is even such an option). The gas cuts off very quickly at the end but the beads themselves look good (no porosity). Maybe I'm just too much of a TIG welder - kinda expect the gas to flow until the metal stops glowing red. I can definitely here the gas flow when I start.
    The 'run-in' speed seems to be a bit on the slow side. Like 75ipm. Seems to work well though. Starts are very smooth, not the 'putt-putt-putt-putt-buzzzzzz' that I had with the Miller 251 and too slow of a run in. It seems to jump to full speed rather quickly.

One thing I notice and I saw it when I demoed the unit (Miller road show) is that when you release the trigger, the wire keeps going for a sec. So you get about 1" wire sticking out past the gun. I trim it anyway, but I also get lazy and sometime like to just keep going. I don't know, it might get annoying if I'm stiching a panel on the car.

As for being portable. Yes its light weight, but the weight is without a spool and without the torch attached. The cables and spool add significantly to the weight.

Overall, I'm happy. I paid about 1800 at the LWS - so I did have to pay local sales tax. Normally they only discount 15% but this was show pricing. Bottom line, with the free arc station table it was comparable in price to a passport.

I've never used a passport but everyone says it welds the same.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Miller Multimatic 200
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Maxstar 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

From what I see, the TA 211 looks to be priced $500-$700 less than the Miller multimatic.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

One big difference between the Multimatic 200 and TA 211i is the TIG/Stick Amperage ratings and duty cycles.

While the Multimatic is a 200 Amp MIG Machine, the TIG/Stick side is only capable of 150 Amp and that is at 30% Duty Cycle. MIG is only rated at 150A at 20% duty cycle on 230V. Multimatic 200 Brochure

The TA 211i is a 210 Amp MIG Machine and is rated at 200 Amp @ 25% Duty Cycle for TIG/Stick welding. The MIG is also much improved over the Multimatic with a rating of 210A at 20% Duty Cycle. Fabricator 211i Brochure

The Multimatic has the advantage of having a more portable case, lighter weight and is made in the USA. The auto-set elite has received a lot of praise as well.

The 211i is about $600 cheaper, can handle 33 lb spools and has higher MIG/TIG/Stick Amperage ratings.

It really depends on the intended application for each customer.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the machine at the under the hood event and ran it on mig and ran good
    i think it was made for a hobby welder but it's kinda pricey for them

But the set up makes it easy for anybody to do and it running an 8 in spool of wire should not be an issue i don't think many pros burn a whole 8 in spool in a day

I have heard a lot of good things about the ESAB machines but i have never run one my self but it might be worth looking into
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRupp View Post
    One big difference between the Multimatic 200 and TA 211i is the TIG/Stick Amperage ratings and duty cycles.

While the Multimatic is a 200 Amp MIG Machine, the TIG/Stick side is only capable of 150 Amp and that is at 30% Duty Cycle. MIG is only rated at 150A at 20% duty cycle on 230V. Multimatic 200 Brochure

The TA 211i is a 210 Amp MIG Machine and is rated at 200 Amp @ 25% Duty Cycle for TIG/Stick welding. The MIG is also much improved over the Multimatic with a rating of 210A at 20% Duty Cycle. Fabricator 211i Brochure

The Multimatic has the advantage of having a more portable case, lighter weight and is made in the USA. The auto-set elite has received a lot of praise as well.

The 211i is about $600 cheaper, can handle 33 lb spools and has higher MIG/TIG/Stick Amperage ratings.

It really depends on the intended application for each customer.
    With what I see here, I would buy the Thermal Arc machine, without question.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

What are you going to use this for? Work, hobby, mobile work, shop?
    Miller Pro 300 SS w/ cat
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller 211
    Miller Xtreme 375
    Miller 12vs
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Passport Plus w/ Spool Gun
    Miller 30a spoolmatic
    Lincoln AC225 Buzz Box
    Victor
    Mathey Dearman - H&M

Post Thanks / Like

some small mobile jobs and weekend home shop projects.

Post Thanks / Like

I will say i have a 211 that I drag around its a 90# machine it gets heavy dragging it out on jobs. It gets extra wear because of that. If your mobile go with light and protective case. And with the blue one you know they will stand behind it.
    Miller Pro 300 SS w/ cat
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller 211
    Miller Xtreme 375
    Miller 12vs
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller 30a spoolmatic
    Lincoln AC225 Buzz Box
    Victor
    Mathey Dearman - H&M

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry i meant the TA 211i machine that i heard good things about

Not ESAB ( i'm not getting senile ) i was busy talking on the phone about welding rod and typing at the same time
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Only a little worried about the weight, won't be something i pick up and carry around all the time. Put it in a gangbox and take to the job and move it around a little. Worried more about the low duty cycle of the miller. Never owned a Thermal Arc welder, did have a TA plasma machine years ago, it seemed like a decent machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I kept mine in one of my gang boxes its rough on the back getting them out and putting them on a cart. Give it a try.. if u put a big spool in any machine its gets to heavy, I don't think I will ever put a large spool on my 12vs. Just to much to drag around. Get what ur budget allows. If your worried about duty cycle that's different. What type of work will you do with it?
    Miller Pro 300 SS w/ cat
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller 211
    Miller Xtreme 375
    Miller 12vs
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller 30a spoolmatic
    Lincoln AC225 Buzz Box
    Victor
    Mathey Dearman - H&M

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just not liking either of them, to be honest. The T/A 211i is too heavy, and the Miller seems a bit light-duty considering the price. I like the idea of a machine that can do both stick and MIG, but I have a Maxstar 150 so I could live without the stick part.

I have heard good things about ESAB's 200A MIG, but it's 240V only. If someone would make a machine like the ESAB or Kemppi 200A MIGs that would run on 120 and 240, I would buy it in a New York minute.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon-based View Post
    I'm just not liking either of them, to be honest. The T/A 211i is too heavy, and the Miller seems a bit light-duty considering the price. I like the idea of a machine that can do both stick and MIG, but I have a Maxstar 150 so I could live without the stick part.

I have heard good things about ESAB's 200A MIG, but it's 240V only. If someone would make a machine like the ESAB or Kemppi 200A MIGs that would run on 120 and 240, I would buy it in a New York minute.

John
    Well, just put a long day on the 200. 6 hrs with probably 1 hr of arc (maybe a little more). Ran the whole thing on 3/16" settings. It is a smoooooth welder. No other way to describe it. C25 at 25cfh, 18.5V .030 wire at 275ipm and on clean metal hardly any spatter. Used nozzle spray and the nozzle looks great (Its a smaller Bernard centerfire - uses the same tips as the 300 series I think its a different nozzle (looks smaller)). Did everything on 110V input.

At the end of the day we switch to 220V to "see what it can do". First - absolutely zero difference in performance. It welded just as smooth - no discernible differences. I tried both 110 and 220 with the 1/4" settings and again, no differences - except duty cycle. At 1/4" settings I did not run a really tight arc. I did not push it.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Miller Multimatic 200
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Maxstar 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    Well, just put a long day on the 200. 6 hrs with probably 1 hr of arc (maybe a little more). Ran the whole thing on 3/16" settings. It is a smoooooth welder. No other way to describe it. C25 at 25cfh, 18.5V .030 wire at 275ipm and on clean metal hardly any spatter. Used nozzle spray and the nozzle looks great (Its a smaller Bernard centerfire - uses the same tips as the 300 series I think its a different nozzle (looks smaller)). Did everything on 110V input.

At the end of the day we switch to 220V to "see what it can do". First - absolutely zero difference in performance. It welded just as smooth - no discernible differences. I tried both 110 and 220 with the 1/4" settings and again, no differences - except duty cycle. At 1/4" settings I did not run a really tight arc. I did not push it.
    Thanks for the real-world review.

How were the duty-cycle limits? I'm interested to see if Miller underrates or overrates the Multimatic 200.

From my earlier post for reference:
    The TIG/Stick side is only capable of 150 Amp and that is at 30% Duty Cycle. MIG is only rated at 150A at 20% duty cycle on 230V. Multimatic 200 Brochure

Post Thanks / Like

would you replace a TA185 with the TA211i to gain mig capability?

I think I might. I like my 185 a lot, but occasionally want a few extra amps, and a mig.
    but 15 more amps is not much. and I could get a decent seperate mig and not be switching sheild gas and such back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsergison View Post
    would you replace a TA185 with the TA211i to gain mig capability?

I think I might. I like my 185 a lot, but occasionally want a few extra amps, and a mig.
    but 15 more amps is not much. and I could get a decent seperate mig and not be switching sheild gas and such back and forth.
    I haven't used the TA185 (or know the specs of it) but something to keep in mind is that TIG on the 211i (I have one) is a lift tig, there is no HF start on it. Also there is no gas solenoid, gas is manually controlled. But with that said, the gas you use for tig is NOT connected to the machine, it is connected directly to the tig torch. So assuming you have two regulators, the gas you use for mig can stay attached to the machine and the gas you use for TIG can stay attached to the tig torch, you wouldn't have to change them back and forth. I haven't bought the tig torch or the pedal yet (plus my tig skills are a bit eh) so I can't comment on how good the tig works.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the 211i use a gas solenoid for the mig? If so, I wonder how hard it would be to tap into that vircuit for tig
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 250D
    Miller Millermatic 200
    Bunch of old blue dinosaurs....

Post Thanks / Like

the 211i does have a gas solenoid for mig. Elsewhere on this forum someone else was trying to get the solenoid to work on tig, i think they ended up saying that there wasn't enough room to route the lines or something. Do a search on the 211i or maybe it was on the 181i.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist