Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2529

Thread: Welding Fail! post pics here.

  1. #2501
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.



    This is the front of a home built airplane fuselage. It is my understanding that the rest of the fuselage is ok and the new owner is having this replaced.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2502
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post


    This is the front of a home built airplane fuselage. It is my understanding that the rest of the fuselage is ok and the new owner is having this replaced.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thankfully most homebuilds never actually take flight.

  3. Likes ronsii liked this post
  4. #2503
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    6,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    35 years ago I met a doctor building a plane. It was a mass of black steel pipe. No joints, except square cuts bird pooped together. It seemed to me the tonnage of stick weld would keep it earthbound. His welder was a Lincoln 180 buzz box AC. He was so proud of it I didn't have the heart to suggest he get a welding helmet.

    I hear he lives 50 miles from here now, and has his own private airstrip. I dearly hope it isn't the plane I saw that he flies now!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  5. Likes ronsii liked this post
  6. #2504
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Oh.... come on now... most homebuilt designs have so much overbuilt redundancy in them you could use flextape to hold them together and they'd still fly great

  7. #2505
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,824
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    An A&P friend hired me and my crane to swap an engine in a Piper Pawnee spray plane once, the engine pylon looked much worse than the airframe above, mostly O/A welds and some of what looked to be 6013, and possibly some pigeon deposits. He didn't seem too worried, said it was basically a flying tractor and was well overbuilt to begin with.

    Oh, forgot to mention we were out at some sagebrush strip in the middle of nowhere. He just wanted to get it back to his hangar.

  8. Likes ronsii liked this post
  9. #2506
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    My old copy of "New Lesson's in Arc Welding" circa 1958 describes the use of "E10013" on steel tubular air-frames.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

  10. #2507
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    northeast USA
    Posts
    9,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Oh.... come on now... most homebuilt designs have so much overbuilt redundancy in them you could use flextape to hold them together and they'd still fly great
    just make sure you spend the money saved welding it yourself on a good parachute....

  11. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
  12. #2508
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    6,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Another former customer built his own Styrofoam airplane. It looked like it flew backward. Prop was in rear, big wing was in rear. I'm told it flew fast! The builder admitted he should have factored how long it'd take to build. By the time he finished it he was too old to fly it that fast.

    I don't know anything about aircraft. I observe workmanship. I'm impressed by some, alarmed at others. The Styrofoam plane builder was a master cobber. He considered himself a master of all trades. I can point at nothing he did that was serviceable. Once, he called me on a hot July Friday afternoon, his converted cow barn was TALL! In all, there were four floors after his renovation. Top floor, his window air conditioner wouldn't work. He claimed it always worked before. I followed the wire, 50 feet of 1955 vintage cloth jacketed 'Romex', 75' of #18 lamp cord, a hardware store quick cap plugged into a BX circuit installed in 1938 when Roosevelt had his "Rural Electrification" All connections were twisted only, & gobbered with electrical tape. I'm able to explain no circumstance where this mess worked, EVER! He implied I wasn't competent; "It always worked before!"

    Years later I met a group of engineers, led by a descendant of people you have heard of. They moved from military pilot experience to designing planes. They built several prototypes. None of the prototypes ever found a market in USA. They sold one plane to Israel. As time moved on, these men had wives & children. The wives disapproved of flight testing necessary with new designs. They switched to generating RC drones. Again, Israel proved to be the buyer.

    Now they design/build wind turbines. The original group is down to only two founding members, others have left.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  13. #2509
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Another former customer built his own Styrofoam airplane. It looked like it flew backward. Prop was in rear, big wing was in rear. I'm told it flew fast! The builder admitted he should have factored how long it'd take to build. By the time he finished it he was too old to fly it that fast.

    I don't know anything about aircraft. I observe workmanship. I'm impressed by some, alarmed at others. The Styrofoam plane builder was a master cobber. He considered himself a master of all trades. I can point at nothing he did that was serviceable. Once, he called me on a hot July Friday afternoon, his converted cow barn was TALL! In all, there were four floors after his renovation. Top floor, his window air conditioner wouldn't work. He claimed it always worked before. I followed the wire, 50 feet of 1955 vintage cloth jacketed 'Romex', 75' of #18 lamp cord, a hardware store quick cap plugged into a BX circuit installed in 1938 when Roosevelt had his "Rural Electrification" All connections were twisted only, & gobbered with electrical tape. I'm able to explain no circumstance where this mess worked, EVER! He implied I wasn't competent; "It always worked before!"

    Years later I met a group of engineers, led by a descendant of people you have heard of. They moved from military pilot experience to designing planes. They built several prototypes. None of the prototypes ever found a market in USA. They sold one plane to Israel. As time moved on, these men had wives & children. The wives disapproved of flight testing necessary with new designs. They switched to generating RC drones. Again, Israel proved to be the buyer.

    Now they design/build wind turbines. The original group is down to only two founding members, others have left.
    I remember when Burt Rutan came out with the vari-ez and long-ez canard style aircraft I always wanted to build one ... never enough time or money though there are still a lot of them flying all over the world.. In fact you may remember when he designed a similar composite(styrofoam) craft to circumnavigate the globe??? worked pretty good even with the mishap on takeoff with full fuel just shows you really don't need those little wingtip winglets

  14. Likes DealsGapCobra liked this post
  15. #2510
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Didnt the Rutan group also create the Starship One aircraft that left earth orbit for a short time and experienced zero gravity for a short time period? I think so.

  16. Likes ronsii liked this post
  17. #2511
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    A guy that owns a major off road parts company that's local to me, wants to build a Fokker triplane powered with a Rotax snowmobile engine.
    Obviously to be painted like the Red Baron.

  18. Likes ronsii, Willie B liked this post
  19. #2512
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    I think I start with all new.
    Just think of one weld failed at 10,000 feet it would be a bad day.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post


    This is the front of a home built airplane fuselage. It is my understanding that the rest of the fuselage is ok and the new owner is having this replaced.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #2513
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    PDX PNW
    Posts
    9,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Name:  2BF889B7-649F-4C57-8648-F01E9A33EE3D.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  110.7 KBName:  A739C4AB-03FD-429A-9C67-7B9BF23F1236.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  117.9 KBName:  B952968E-EDB8-4129-8294-E85DA0A617AB.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  76.7 KBmust not be paying the new guy very much. He or she tried welding aluminum to steel. Talk about a pro

  21. Likes Fnord5, ronsii, farmersammm, Munkul liked this post
  22. #2514
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    One of my managers swears it's possible using "snow cap" rod.
    The stuff barely welds aluminum to aluminum. Lol

  23. Likes ronsii liked this post
  24. #2515
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    North Readung, MA
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Love the flashlight attachment

    Name:  1EDA7194-0370-475C-B179-2D399D259BF1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  239.6 KB
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

  25. Likes Mikel_24 liked this post
  26. #2516
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by jay gill View Post
    Love the flashlight attachment

    Name:  1EDA7194-0370-475C-B179-2D399D259BF1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  239.6 KB
    Wow...that looks like a Fred Flintstone mobile waiting to happen.

    Looking through some of these pics makes me feel better and better about my abilities.

  27. #2517
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    This railing was really mangled.... the thing is it will be an easier fix since they used break-away welding procedures
    I know this probably should go under the 'trailer fail' AKA 'driver fail' thread... but it is a welding fail too....
    Name:  cooperrailing1-6nov2020.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  62.8 KB
    Name:  cooperrailing2-6nov2020.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  63.1 KB
    I do like how these types of welds work... it really limits the amount of damage to the rest of the rail system
    Name:  cooperrailing3-6nov2020.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  63.7 KB
    I am pretty impressed by their fit-up too!!! if only I could get cuts this good I'd be quicker on the welding...

  28. Likes farmersammm, motolife313 liked this post
  29. #2518
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,824
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    I had a guy once ask me if I could make a break-a-way weld like that... The only welds I can make that break are tacks that need to hold.

  30. Likes ronsii liked this post
  31. #2519
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I had a guy once ask me if I could make a break-a-way weld like that... The only welds I can make that break are tacks that need to hold.
    LOL!!! Tell me about it... anytime I am freehand fabbing something and my holding hand moves a bit while tacking so's that I need to 'adjust' the piece a tiny bit... the second I get real close to where it needs to be the friggen tack breaks

  32. #2520
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Nothing like a good welding fail pic or video... so here is one I just happened to run across
    the whole thread is here
    For the lazy folks here are the pics.


    He took one bead at a time in a whole new way.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

  33. Likes ronsii liked this post
  34. #2521
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    He took one bead at a time in a whole new way.

    Sincerely,

    William McCormick
    Impressive!!!! funny thing is he's probably got enough 'beads' on there to hold pretty good

  35. #2522
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central CA
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    He took one bead at a time in a whole new way.
    As has been said before in this thread, welding like that makes me feel much better about my welding. What I don't understand is how anyone (ANY reasonable person) could weld like that and not see that something is terribly wrong after only an inch or two of weld.

    Tim

  36. #2523
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by timrb View Post
    As has been said before in this thread, welding like that makes me feel much better about my welding. What I don't understand is how anyone (ANY reasonable person) could weld like that and not see that something is terribly wrong after only an inch or two of weld.

    Tim
    Maybe....
    Name:  rc-weld2.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  55.1 KB

  37. #2524
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    Quote Originally Posted by timrb View Post
    As has been said before in this thread, welding like that makes me feel much better about my welding. What I don't understand is how anyone (ANY reasonable person) could weld like that and not see that something is terribly wrong after only an inch or two of weld.

    Tim

    its only because that welder isn't a member on here!!!!!!
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

  38. #2525
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,824
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Welding Fail! post pics here.

    This is why we flame the noobs that want to build trailers with no experience.

  39. Likes ronsii liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,606,446,291.69578 seconds with 13 queries