+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up a rig for the field - Help?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Setting up a rig for the field - Help?

Compressor output max 31 CFM @ 160 PSI @ 100% Duty Cycle...NO Tank...No Waiting for the Pressure in the tank to build it delivers that at all times
    and you really don't need over 100 PSI for most any air tool i run 1/2" to 1 " impact guns off of it and my sand blaster

Forget CAC plasma gouging is what i went to... much better not near the mess and the needed output for carbons i was using a Miller 625 Extreme plasma cutter but it got ripped off ...Little bastards

Going to replace it with either the HyperTherm PM 45 or the PM 65 i really like the 65 and the new torches for it

I took a lot of bull from everybody including my brother and others over spending the money for the AirPak but i have yet to have a day that i feel bad about it

If i have it in the Tundra there's not any room to spare for a separate compressor
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coaltrain View Post
    Try rigwelder.com ... They love newbies over there... Lol
    you are trying to get him raped !! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah head over to that site and you'll hear the same thing I told you.
    I'm just being straight honest not being a "troll". If somehow you think your ready to build a rig and go out on the mainlines or stations you should already know what you need and what equipment is better by now with having this "experience you have". Working in a plant of fab shop is nothing like rig welding.
    Sorry to be harsh just don't want to see anyone spending 40k building up a nice truck and not know how to probably set-up and weld a 12/12 etc

Post Thanks / Like

First, you need thick skin. As with most trades newbies get ribbed alot.

I work on on Farm Equipment/Repair

1. Welder, I have a SA 200 , Miller 301g and a Hobart champion 16. My ideal choice would be Lincoln Vantage 400

Sa 200 great welder , it will not power lights for night work
    miller 301 g, good welder , can run lights while welding, can run suit case welder
    Hobart champion 16 more of a generator than welder.

2. Air compressor have a 5 hp/twin cyl 8 gallon tank with 20 gallon volume bottle . It will run and impact wrench and and Arc air for short periods and it takes some time to fill large tractor tires. need larger air compressor.

3.Several welding hoods. Auto darking, Pipe liner hood and a pancke hood.

4. Leather gloves several different types
    5. Welding jacket, welding Apron
    6.Faceshield one dark one clear
    7.Knee Pads
    8.Welding cable with quick connects
    9.Oxy/ Ace rig. two sets of bottles and two sets of torch handles with quick connects,
    hose reel . tip cleaner. different size tips, torch ligher with extra flint
    10. Grinders 3- 41/2 grindersAc/dc , 9" grinder ac/dc grinding disc several different ones, Wire brushesfor grinders,Hand held wire brushes, Ear plugs,Safety glasses, Hard Hat, Paper for making parts patterens, joint compound tape, Pipe fitters hand book, Clamps several different styles and sizes, Fire Ext, Electric drill and bits, Extension cords,

11.Then hand Tools different size cresent wrenches 8,10,12.15, pipe wrenches several sizes, chipping hammers wood handle and spring handle, Files several sizes Flat and round triangle.Hammers several different ones from ball pen to sledge, Steel wedges several different sizes, Measuring tapes several different sizes (they always get lost), Squares several different ones tri square, framing square , Levels 4-torpedeo level.2ft level,4 ft level,

12. Wrenches Std and metric, sockets Std and metric, Pry bars , chisels/punch set, pliers set, Vise grips several different sizes and styles, Assortment of bolts , Nuts and washers, Allen wrenches, Screw Drivers flat and phillups,

and the list goes on. it just depends on what you do or get asked to do.

Wrap-a-round several different sizes, soap stone round and flat,

Post Thanks / Like

3/8" drill, 1/2" drill, drillbits ranging from 1/16" to 1", 2' Square, (and the step down and the next down), combination square set, speed square, bevel gauge, angle finder, SAE/Metric tap and die set and pipe tap set, impact wrench (1/2" electric or air for most needs...sometimes bigger), Small ball pien Hammer, Bigger hammer (ball pein and cross pien) , 4lb and sledge...prybars, wrecking bars...A big job box...A portable toolbox....Beam clamp, Beam trolley, chainfall, come alongs (various sizes are nice), screw drivers, basic rigging goodies, Bessey clamps ranging from small to large...a small grinder, a 5 inch grinder and a 7" grinder (possibly two of each), Cutting torch, tips, cylinders, welder, tape measures, soapstones, perminent marker's, silver streak's, headlamp, work lights, hard hat, welding helmet, faceshield, cutting shield, high viz, center punch, pin punches, ratchets (minimum 1/2" drive), wrenches (and belches), allen keys (metric and SAE), At least one die grinder (electric widowmakers are great for removing material, IMO!) and carbide bits, easy outs, a striker, a tip cleaner, burning bar, straight edge, fire extinguisher, "P*ss pack", torpedo level (at least two), 2 foot level, 4 foot level, 100 foot tape, pipe wrap, job contacts, gumption, tenacity, human relation skills...

I'M AWAKE!

It really depends on the type of work you are looking to do in the field. Best advice would be to get on with a company that does field work and go from there. Cheers!
    Last edited by mb_welder; 08-09-2012 at 06:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist