Thread: Small Welding Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Small Welding Trailer

New to the forum but thought I would post some pictures of a small welding trailer I put together. Got the ranger a little while back and wanted a trailer to go on it. It is my first engine drive and I am liking it. Still got some stuff to add like torch hoses and a few small things. I am also thinking about swapping axles and going with bigger tires. Let me know what yall think.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Welding Trailer

Be careful... those snowbear trailers were not known for their quality or durability. A small one like that is probably around 1000# capacity. Your welder alone weighs over 600. You've probably about maxed out the trailer as it is, not to mention adding O/A tanks and whatever else you're planning. I wouldn't bother upgrading the axle. The frame won't take much more weight anyway. At least not safely.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice little rig!

Do you happen to know the capacity of the trailer? I am sure you could safely beef it up if need be...

Miller Dynasty 300 DX
    Miller CST280
    Miller Maxstar 150 STH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anickode View Post
    Be careful... those snowbear trailers were not known for their quality or durability. A small one like that is probably around 1000# capacity. Your welder alone weighs over 600. You've probably about maxed out the trailer as it is, not to mention adding O/A tanks and whatever else you're planning. I wouldn't bother upgrading the axle. The frame won't take much more weight anyway. At least not safely.
    But he has a self-powered WELDING MACHINE right there on it! If anything on the trailer breaks he can fix it anytime it needs fixin! A couple hunks of jr beam here and some channel there, heftier set of springs and another axel... Load it up!
    (just don't forget the brakes )

Actually I like the re-purposing of the trailer. It looks handy for use around the family compound. I would not be hauling it down the interstate though, keep it local if venturing off the farm. Little trailers tend to bounce and that adds to the severity of the stresses. You don't want to be picking up the pieces that get tossed off at highway speeds or the parts that scatter if an axel, tire, or spring fails. Keep your gear tied down tight before leaving the door yard.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Post Thanks / Like

It is rated at 2000 lbs but I completely agree with yall on the quality of the trailer. But with the trailer being free I could not pass up the offer. It would be very easy to beef up the frame of the trailer and do an axle swap. A little beef up and some bigger wheels will go a long way I believe. I will not be traveling far or traveling a lot with it but the person that I got it from said that he pulled it everywhere with about the same load. I am excited about the mobility of my welding now!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, definitely beef it up. If those are 1 ton springs, and they only have 1/2 ton on them, I'd hate to see what happens when it's "maxed out".

I love the small welding trailer concept. I'm working on one myself. My goal is to have something road-worthy and portable, but compact, and all-terrain capable.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Post Thanks / Like

is that a "riglet".....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mwn006 is that you on the Miller forum? Be careful with the small trailer. Equipment and tools adds up to major weight in a hurry. I am still gonna borrow a few a your design features on the next set of reels I build. You've got a good start to a rig.
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anickode View Post
    You're right about Snowbear trailers - super light duty. They went out of business earlier this year...watched them liquidate and move all the machinery out. I wouldn't be surprised if that axle was a formed channel with two stubs welded in each end
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 210
    1970 Lincoln Redface
    Miller 150 STL
    Still need a Syncrowave and a plasma and a milling machine and a lathe and a bigger shop and a....