+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acetylene - As requested

Post Thanks / Like

Acetylene - As requested

Acetylene is filled into a cylinder that is filled with a very porus material and filled with Acetone, which absorbs 25 times its volume , with acetylene, which is formed by adding water to calcium carbide and pumped into the cylinder very slowly. Acetylene = 14.7 cuft per Lb. The weight of the cylinder, with acetone added is stamped into the cylinder as TW 125#(example), then filled to 250# at 68 Degrees F. After filling, the cylinder is weighed again (150#) 25 lbs. of gas = 367.5 cuft., which is stamped on the outside of the cylinder or a tag with the amount of gas inside the cylinder is attached. You as the customer, not knowing this will except a large cylinder at a given amount (400 cuft). The LWS will be shocked if you ask them to weigh the cylinder and charge you for exactly what is in the cylinder. I hope this will answer some of the questions ask in other threads. Remember that 15#'s is the max. psi, which should be withdrawn from the cylinder and the 1/7 rule applies. Example: 400 cuft = 57 cuft that can be removed from the cylinder, without the gas becoming unstable and a #15 MFA heating head requires a min. of 90 cfh to operate correctly, so 1 large acetylene is not enough to run that rosebud, manifold 2 together, otherwise live with the backfire from not having enough volume of gas supplying the tip. More information, upon request. John Gault ( everything about me is posted).

SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acetylene - As requested

Just to ensure clarity

Quote Originally Posted by weldgault
    ...Remember that 15#'s is the max. psi, which should be withdrawn from the cylinder
    15 psig should be the highest outlet pressure allowed from the acetylene regulator.

...Remember...and the 1/7 rule applies. Example: 400 cuft = 57 cuft that can be removed from the cylinder, without the gas becoming unstable and a #15 MFA heating head requires a min. of 90 cfh to operate correctly, so 1 large acetylene is not enough to run that rosebud, manifold 2 together...
    You should not use more than 1/7 of the volume of the full cylinder per hour. So with a 400 cf. ft cylinder you can not safely use more than 57 cu ft per hour, assuming that the cylinder is at normal room temperature. Cold cylinders will be less.

A 120 cu. ft cylinder will supply only 17 cu. ft. per hour.

If you withdrawl more than that volume you chould aspirate acetone and have a flame thrower on you hands, this in not a safe operation and an uncontrollable fire could result.
    Ron

ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, M-25, M-40 guns
    Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
    Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
    30A spoolgun
    Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
    Just to ensure clarity

15 psig should be the highest outlet pressure allowed from the acetylene regulator.

You should not use more than 1/7 of the volume of the full cylinder per hour. So with a 400 cf. ft cylinder you can not safely use more than 57 cu ft per hour, assuming that the cylinder is at normal room temperature. Cold cylinders will be less.

A 120 cu. ft cylinder will supply only 17 cu. ft. per hour.

If you withdrawl more than that volume you chould aspirate acetone and have a flame thrower on you hands, this in not a safe operation and an uncontrollable fire could result.

All true, except you can withdraw more than 15 psi. It can be done with a two staqge regulator but then you would not get enough volume to run anything. Only thing I can say is STAY at 15#, or in the red zone. John

:

Post Thanks / Like

I read this post today and because I was never formally schooled on welding, I was unaware of the dangers and reason for using any higher pressures. I don't believe I've ever turned my tank up that high (I usually just weld or braze small stuff and no cutting), but decided to put a label on my tank to serve as a reminder.

"DO NOT EXCEED 15 PSI"

Thanks for the tip.
    Hobart 140 Handler w/ gas
    HyperTherm Powermax 380 Plasma
    oxy/acetylene

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses fellas. I am becoming enlightened. Very informative.
    How much does the one seventh rule change with cold temps? Say around 25 deg. F.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff

Thanks
    David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

I second that - great stuff, thanks for the post John.

Post Thanks / Like

John, and Ron, I have a question for you. If the acetone in the tank is aspirated, or say the bottle is run dry is the correct way to ask this- if the bottle is run dry, and left open, will the acetone inside evaporate quickly enough to need special accomodation when the bottle is refilled? Or is the acetone and acetalyne mixed at the time of filling, and the acetone is part of the product you burn through the torch? Great post guys, thanks for putting it up. I have never heard an answer to this, my welding teacher a zillion years ago just said" There's acetone in it."
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rojodiablo
    John, and Ron, I have a question for you. If the acetone in the tank is aspirated, or say the bottle is run dry is the correct way to ask this- if the bottle is run dry, and left open, will the acetone inside evaporate quickly enough to need special accomodation when the bottle is refilled? Or is the acetone and acetalyne mixed at the time of filling, and the acetone is part of the product you burn through the torch? Great post guys, thanks for putting it up. I have never heard an answer to this, my welding teacher a zillion years ago just said" There's acetone in it."

Acetone will not leave its home unless it is forced out by pressure or the tank is left lying down. It is not part of the burning process, it only releases the acetylene gas that is stored, in the cells of the filler in the cylinder, When the cylinder is to be refilled it is weighed and acetone is added until the cylinder weighs what is stamped on the cylinder (TW)
    I hope it is somewhat clearer now, or I will try another avenue. John

:

Post Thanks / Like

rojo
    when the bottle is empty of acetylene and you return it to be filled, it is filled according to weight. read over the first post again it explains it good.
    at the time of filling the acetone is already inside of the bottle and the acetylene gas is introduced into the bottle under pressure and the acetone soaks it up or is disolved into it. much like co2 in pop. the filling rate can only take place at 1/7 the capacity (it takes some time for the acetylene gas to disolve into the liquid acetone. thats why there is the 1/7 rule, it can only be discharged at the same rate, it takes time for the gas to come out of the liquid.
    that is why acetylene bottles need to be stood up so that the acetone is not siphoned out of the bottle. that is why if an acetylene bottle is transported laying down they should be stood up for a little while before using to let the acetone settle to the bottom of the bottle (come off of the porous filler up close to the valve). although there is a certain degree that a bottle can be tipped and still be used, cant find that info though.

clear as mud????

hope this helps

G3
    miller... 225g, s32p, 250x, 304, 12vs, MSW41
    victor o/a
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 50
    lenco panel spotter
    hobart hf-box

G3 Farms.....raising cattle, hay, kids and hell, ...oh yeah I'm a fire sprinkler contractor by trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Acetone will not leave its home unless it is forced out by pressure or the tank is left lying down. It is not part of the burning process, it only releases the acetylene gas that is stored, in the cells of the filler in the cylinder, When the cylinder is to be refilled it is weighed and acetone is added until the cylinder weighs what is stamped on the cylinder (TW)
    I hope it is somewhat clearer now, or I will try another avenue. John
    Okay, I think I understand it. If the bottle comes in bone dry, too light, etc. they fill the bottle with X amount of acetone, as specified, then they would add the acetalyne- correct?? Thanks John and G3!! That was the scenario they played out in welding shop a zillion years ago- a cutting torch was on its' side, valve open. A Q&A training thing. But I never got the answer on the acetone inside, just the fact there was acetone, so the gas on the ground might be wet.
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been dealing with acetylene for almost 40 years and I don't know the angle you can have the cylinder, just as streight up as possible. You are making the mud a little clearer. John

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rojodiablo
    I will also add that the acetylene tank should never be run dry, 0 PSIG on the gauge. You should leave ~5 psi in the tank.
    Ron

ShopFloorTalk

Millermatic 350P, M-25, M-40 guns
    Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
    Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
    30A spoolgun
    Spectrum 2050

Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

Post Thanks / Like

Any more questions, before it goes to sleep. John

:

Post Thanks / Like

Not a question, just a little more acetylene procedure: Oxygen cylinder valves should be either closed or all the way open. Not so for acetylene...only open the valve 1\2 to 1 turn.
    WeldingWeb forum--now more sophomoric banter than anything else!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't know we had to go that far into the basics. John

:

Post Thanks / Like

And people wonder why I run LP/MAPP gas
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

The way I was taught, open an O2 valve all the way, it's a back seating valve. Was told they'll leak around the stem if not all the way open. Acetylene, only open 1/4 to 1/2 turn, just in case there's a problem, it can be snapped shut in a jiffy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist