Thread: 210MVP issue possible gas issue

Post Thanks / Like

210MVP issue possible gas issue

Hey guys, got a problem. Picked up a 210 MVP and a tank of shielding gas today. Asked for 75/25 and the guy gave me a tank of 86/14 (Argon/CO2). Figured I'd give it a try anyways as he assured me there would be no issue. Had some scrap 1/4 laying around so I figured I'd try running a few beads as I have only welded with flux core in the past (on another machine) I'm running the MVP on DCEP with 0.30 Hobart wire and about 20CFH on the gas. Started at the recommended settings of 6/60. seemed to 'pop' a lot to me so I tried turning the wire feed down to no avail, eventually it was so low it welded to the tip. Tried turning it up still loud pops. Welds don't look bad but seem a little low and wide to me so I tried turning the voltage down to tap 5. Still loud, is this common with the higher Argon mixes? Could it be something with the machine? Could it just be me (I don't have much welding experience).
    Hobart 210 MVP
    Everlast Power Pro 256
    Best money I ever spent was on a welding class MTEC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 210MVP issue possible gas issue

Try setting your gas flow at about 14 with the trigger pulled then start increasing gas flow in steps until it starts sounding/looking better. Every machine is a bit different. Stick with recommended settings or maybe even slightly faster wire speed till the gas is dialed in. Also, check for leaks in the lines. Real common point is the reg connection to the valve (at least for me anyways). After gas flow probs are sorted, work on the machine settings. Will almost never match the chart. I'm assuming the metal is reasonably clean.
    Last edited by Snuffy; 11-02-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wvuredneck09 View Post
    Hey guys, got a problem. Picked up a 210 MVP and a tank of shielding gas today. Asked for 75/25 and the guy gave me a tank of 86/14 (Argon/CO2). Figured I'd give it a try anyways as he assured me there would be no issue. Had some scrap 1/4 laying around so I figured I'd try running a few beads as I have only welded with flux core in the past (on another machine) I'm running the MVP on DCEP with 0.30 Hobart wire and about 20CFH on the gas. Started at the recommended settings of 6/60. seemed to 'pop' a lot to me so I tried turning the wire feed down to no avail, eventually it was so low it welded to the tip. Tried turning it up still loud pops. Welds don't look bad but seem a little low and wide to me so I tried turning the voltage down to tap 5. Still loud, is this common with the higher Argon mixes? Could it be something with the machine? Could it just be me (I don't have much welding experience).
    The lower level of COČ in your shielding gas can definitely effect arc quality, especially when the 210 MVP is engineer around running C-25 shielding gas. Understand too though, that as you increase the voltage, the arc does become more agressive. The lower level of COČ in your shielding gas, compared to C25, also decreases depth of penetration. C14/15 also doesn't wet the weld puddle out as well as C25.

In my experience, for the same voltage setting, as the COČ content in the shielding gas decreases the wire speed required increases.

Do you have the power pin end of the gun lead fully seated in the aluminum power block?

My attached weld bead pic was produced with a Handler 210 MVP running and .030 wire and C25 on 1/4". I was playing around with tap #7. My input voltage is around 245 VAC, so tap #7 produces some serious arc energy for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Post Thanks / Like

Dan pretty much nailed it as far as the effects of different CO2 levels in the shielding gas. However, lower CO2 should not cause the popping you are experiencing. 20CFH is OK in still air, but you may want to increase flow to 25 or 30CFH if your shop is drafty or if you're working outdoors.

The main cause of unstable arc IMO is dirty or oxidized metal. Make sure the weld area is clean and free of mill scale, and that you have a good ground connection.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked everything and no leaks, metal was clean where welded but I'll have to try cleaning where I'm grounding as well. The ground clamp that came on the welder is a POS so I'll have to get a better one also. Might have to record a short video while welding to see what you all think, been busy and really haven't had time to put down any welds. Maybe tomorrow evening, after voting.
    Hobart 210 MVP
    Everlast Power Pro 256
    Best money I ever spent was on a welding class MTEC