+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On-Site Welding Billing/Invoicing Computer Advise.

Post Thanks / Like

On-Site Welding Billing/Invoicing Computer Advise.

I am just about ready to start taking on work for "On-Site Welding Services".

From past experience, I know organization is a must. Having all customers, material lists and payment info, together and correct is huge.

The nature of an "On-Site" service puts me out in the field much of the time and my truck becomes the main office.

I am thinking an iPad and portable printer will aid tremendously in account management and billing. It would also make the ordering and use of materials much easier. Through the iPad's ability to use a plug in credit card reader, payment and invoicing could be all done within minutes.

I am curious if any of you do this sort of thing?

What have you found to be the most convienient way to track the customers past activity, material use, outstanding accounts, etc...?

Would a laptop be better suited to this type of thing? The iPad allows Internet access anywhere which will come in handy for any design questions, settings, ideas and such.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: On-Site Welding Billing/Invoicing Computer Advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Acetylene View Post
    I am just about ready to start taking on work for "On-Site Welding Services".

From past experience, I know organization is a must. Having all customers, material lists and payment info, together and correct is huge.

The nature of an "On-Site" service puts me out in the field much of the time and my truck becomes the main office.

I am thinking an iPad and portable printer will aid tremendously in account management and billing. It would also make the ordering and use of materials much easier. Through the iPad's ability to use a plug in credit card reader, payment and invoicing could be all done within minutes.

I am curious if any of you do this sort of thing?

What have you found to be the most convienient way to track the customers past activity, material use, outstanding accounts, etc...?

Would a laptop be better suited to this type of thing? The iPad allows Internet access anywhere which will come in handy for any design questions, settings, ideas and such.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    I myself have better use of a laptop just because I would never buy an ipad since my last iphone 3g (sorry apple, I dig android). I use quickbooks for invoices, I don't if it's available for ipad. I also use square reader for credit cards. Other programs I use microsoft excel, word, outlook, and occasionally Auto cad which is not necessary but I do a lot of custom stuff and it comes in handy. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what it looks like your puttinjg the cart before the horse, outfit your service veh to handle the jobs you might get, have a good watch and log your work. At your office log the info and track it with excel. Buy everything now and hope you make enoght to pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with the i-pad, as I've mainly used Windows stuff. Quickbooks is a good program, but as Asolis said, not sure if it can be run on the Apple platform. Sure, there are other programs out there, but Quickbooks will track everything you're after, and more. You can e-mail purchase orders, invoices, run reports, etc. Save you the hassle of hauling a printer around too. For billing purposes, you can run credit cards, etc via Quickbooks, and also sign up for their ACH (bank to bank funds transfer) with Quickbooks (made by Intuit) as well. The program also has a function to log time spent on jobs.
    -Aaron
    Jet 17.5" Drill Press
    1942 South Bend 16x84 Lathe
    1980s Miller 320A / BP --- 2013 Power Mig 256
    2012 Jet 7x12 Horizontal Bandsaw
    Victor O/A Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Most cellular providers have cellular modems available for the laptop. I think for business, I would go for the laptop. Nothing against the Apple products, I have an iPhone 4s and an iPad, but I don't like having the keyboard on the screen for the application stated.
    Millermatic 200
    Hobart Handler 120
    Victor O/A & Ramco Bandsaw
    Lincoln 225 AC
    SnapOn AD Hood
    Miller XMT304/22A
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650 G3
    Lincoln Idealarc DC600 w/Extreme 12 VS
    Miller Digital Elite "Joker"

Post Thanks / Like

I still keep a pad of 2 part invoices in the truck for new customers, everyone else gets a bill mailed to them after I get home. I do take credit cards through my phone if the customer wants to pay then and there. I also take cash, guns, gold, or anything else of value.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

for on the spot invoices i still use carbon tags. Cheep reliable, and effective. Never needs batteries, dont care if they are dropped and very rugged for the Mobil environment
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

What about getting payed on the spot??????

I have a friend using this thing called Square-up

https://squareup.com

money is in the account next business day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randall_H View Post

That's what I use, I've had no problems what so ever. It's a big benefit for me since my bank is about 15 miles away from our shop.
    Last edited by Asolis; 11-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldbay View Post
    You know what it looks like your puttinjg the cart before the horse, outfit your service veh to handle the jobs you might get, have a good watch and log your work.
    Please dont take this the wrong way but I'm not a 17 year old kid borrowing my dads buzzbox to fix a neighbors mower deck. I have owned and operated a heavy truck and equipment repair business for years. I'm just branching out into other areas.

Why some guys feel the need to completely ignore the question asked, immediately assume whoever they are responding to is completely unprepared and then offer some useless comment which is almost always dead wrong or 180 degrees out from reality. Do you honestly believe I would buy an iPad or laptop or whatever, for a mobile service, before having the equipment to do mobile welding service in the first place?

I may be over reacting but I see this type of "I'm so damn smart" crap all over this forum. Annoying as hell. But thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randall_H View Post

I have this too. Although I haven't used it yet.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like the thought of a iPad, it doesn't seem to do business stuff very well. The last time I checked, it didn't even work with the standard MS Office applications. I think I'd go with a regular laptop in the truck and add a cellular modem onto your cell phone account. The average laptop is relatively inexpensive now ($400) and you have the keyboard and true 'multitasking/multi-window' capability.

I've seen folks use the card reader for their remote business and seems to work well. Perhaps the bank where you have your business account has some ideas or preferences for remote bill pay.
    Kevin / Machine_Punk from The Aerodrome Studio

- Lincoln PowerMIG 210 MP
    - Meco N Midget w/custom welding station
    - Vintage Victor 100

Current Projects: The Aerodrome Studio

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist