+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What welding helmet are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What welding helmet are you using?

I'm using the Speedglas 9100x and I'm happy with it. When I first got it the tensioner knobs were defective and wouldn't keep the hood up but once and the screw would back out enough that the second time you'd lift it you have to tighten it back down. A quick phone call to 3m and they sent me new gear. I'd give it a 8 out of 10 now, deducting a little only because the clear lenses are proprietary and kinda expensive compared to others when you replace them. Other than that, no problemo.
    Powcon 400SM
    2-PD60 wire feeders
    Miller XR control
    Alumapro push/pull gun
    Speedglas 9100x
    BFH

Post Thanks / Like

What welding helmet are you using?

Mine.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I got the ratchet headgear with mine. I didn't find any feedback on the rubber band. Please tell, and post pics.
    i'll try to get some pictures this weeknd for you, stick. i was a little concerned with the rubber band at first, but is basically infinite adjustment. i've always had ratchet head gear (jackson 370, which i like) but it was sometimes right between notches. no longer an issue with the rubber band. i suspect teh rubber band will wear out sooner than the ratchet, but should be cheap to replace.short term evaluation is great, long term is still unknown. if you get the opportunity to try one give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Two Miller Elite's, 1 for tig and the other for stick/mig ... However, I have an itch to go old school... I'm thinking about a Huntsman 451P with a gold lens....
    Lincoln pro mig 180
    Lincoln Square Wave Tig 300/wp 20/home built water cooler
    Victor, Purox, Harris, O/A welding/cutting setups
    Vintage Craftsman drill press
    Vintage Craftsman/Atlas 12"x 36'' lathe
    7''x 12'' w/c band saw
    Everlast 140 st

Post Thanks / Like

An ugly old reliable Huntsman 411p with a leather sweat band and a shade 11 Phillips lens. It does the jorb!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Miller Titanium 9400i, I love it! It has shock absorbing so if I drop it it won't bust, weld. cut, grind and X-mode, has an integrated grinding shield, 4 arc sensors, it has a 9.22 inch viewing area, silver shell to reflect a little heat ( I can feel the difference ) I also have a few cheap $40 fixed shade Lincoln, one with a standard fixed shade lens and one with a Shade 11 gold lens. I never use the standard lens, I use my Miller 9400i the most but when it's just something like a quick tack, I use my gold lens.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's Liberty, Teeth, and Keystone under Independence." - George Washington

Post Thanks / Like

3M Speedglas 100.

Good helmet. Never had any problems. Replacement lenses are cheap. Don't see myself buying a new helmet anytime soon unless it's free.

Post Thanks / Like

speedglas 9000 - love it, but would even more love a solar unit, as the batteries die every now and then and when a forklift with flashing lights drives by (the lens flashes to let you know that the batteries are going)

Tried a friend's Optrel the other day, and really liked it alot - very very comfy hood - going to pull the trigger on one soon - reviews to follow...

Post Thanks / Like

i have a cheep fiber one for nasty jobs and a speedglas 9100x for the other jobs

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a Miller Digital Elite, make sure it's the newest model. A few months ago, Miller added auto on as a feature. Before that it was manual on/ auto off. Some places still could have the older model in stock.
    Millermatic 200
    Hobart Handler 120
    Victor O/A & Ramco Bandsaw
    Lincoln 225 AC
    SnapOn AD Hood
    Miller XMT304/22A
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650 G3
    Lincoln Idealarc DC600 w/Extreme 12 VS
    Miller Digital Elite "Joker"

Post Thanks / Like

I just pulled the trigger on Jackson Truesight a few days ago and used it at work for the first time today , i have been using just a fixed shade Jackson with the 370 headgear that the company furnished for me and i figured if i like the 370 headgear i would just go with the Truesight instead of the Miller Elite since the soft touch buttons are so much bigger and looked to me to be more user friendly with gloves on . i am here to tell you i am impressed i have never used an Auto Dark helmet before and now i know why everybody has one or wants one ! if any of you guys are debating on getting an Auto Dark i recommend the Truesight .Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I run the plain old sarges pipeline pancake, thinkin about buying a Wendy's though

Post Thanks / Like

A Huntsman 990P because we aren't allowed to use anything else in welding class. With a gold #10 lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Performance black with new miller headgear and just pulled the trigger on a Miller Digital Elite in the Vintage USA print. I also keep my eye out for a non a/d, either for when someone is watching me or if im doing SMAW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 225 View Post
    To have 2 peckers
    Lol. One has gotten me in enough trouble already!

Speedglax 9100x for Tig mostly,

Cheapy black HF AD for everything else, especially vertical and overheard Stick / Mig.
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 and WP17. 75A AC is for pipe thawing!
    HH 140 - new addtion 9/2012.

I didn't agree, but hoped for Hope and Change.
    I got change for myself and my family: for the worse.
    This is the reality of: Barackalypse Now. Again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtcnj View Post
    Lol. One has gotten me in enough trouble already!

Speedglax 9100x for Tig mostly,

Cheapy black HF AD for everything else, especially vertical and overheard Stick / Mig.
    Lol, I'm quoting myself. I couldn't edit for some reason.

I have been giving it some thought and I agree with and am concerned about the statement regarding going cheap on safety equipment, especially the eyes.

Just now finished a 3 hour-ish session stick welding between 55 and 75A with the HF at around 11 1/2 shade. My eyes definitely feel fatigued. I never feel that way after a Tig session with the Speedglas, but thats usually at 35 to up around 65A.

No way I can spend big bucks on another hood, so I guess I'm going to have to get over keeping the Speedglas pretty. I'm still not doing overhead stick with it though.

Might be a good sell to the wife for a replacement for the HF.....
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 and WP17. 75A AC is for pipe thawing!
    HH 140 - new addtion 9/2012.

I didn't agree, but hoped for Hope and Change.
    I got change for myself and my family: for the worse.
    This is the reality of: Barackalypse Now. Again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a digital elite. I've had for about a year now. I love it

Post Thanks / Like

Huntsman with #10 Lincoln supervisibility and a Jackson helmet with same lens. The Jackson is super light and durable. The headgear is held together with electrical tape. The filbert helmet doesn't do well outdoors in wet weather. Even though the lincoln lenses aren't the fancy auto lenses they provide me with the best view of all lenses ive tried. I used to have a spedglas helmet. Nice but heavy and expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtcnj View Post
    Lol, I'm quoting myself. I couldn't edit for some reason.

I have been giving it some thought and I agree with and am concerned about the statement regarding going cheap on safety equipment, especially the eyes.

Just now finished a 3 hour-ish session stick welding between 55 and 75A with the HF at around 11 1/2 shade. My eyes definitely feel fatigued. I never feel that way after a Tig session with the Speedglas, but thats usually at 35 to up around 65A.

No way I can spend big bucks on another hood, so I guess I'm going to have to get over keeping the Speedglas pretty. I'm still not doing overhead stick with it though.

Might be a good sell to the wife for a replacement for the HF.....
    Outer replacement lenses are only $2.50 each and last about 200 hours. Everything else is not going to affect what you see while you have it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOBART View Post
    i'll try to get some pictures this weeknd for you, stick. i was a little concerned with the rubber band at first, but is basically infinite adjustment. i've always had ratchet head gear (jackson 370, which i like) but it was sometimes right between notches. no longer an issue with the rubber band. i suspect teh rubber band will wear out sooner than the ratchet, but should be cheap to replace.short term evaluation is great, long term is still unknown. if you get the opportunity to try one give it a shot.
    Her is where I found the best price on replacement parts, head gear, and rubber bands. Keep the link for future reference.

http://stumpfweldingsupplies.com/Fibre-Metal.html
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Used a cheap Northern tool 50 dollar helmet for years, Just bought a speed glass 9100X what sold me was the head band system and the side windows. Cant believe i used a cheapo for so many years the speedglas is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use s $36 Miller Titanium series helmet with a passive shade 11 for dual shield and a shade 9 for TIG. For what i do, this is the best helmet i have ever had.

seabee78

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln pipeliner, with an "old Lincoln #10"supervisibilty lens, and a pancake shield with a #10 quickchange lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson True Sight! Love it! Way nicer than the HF helmet I had!

RG
    RG

Hobart 187
    Northern Tool Plasma 375
    Harris 85 O/A Rig (Ireland)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist