+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 110 volt migs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110 volt migs + Progress Report

Quote Originally Posted by xoltri View Post
    It seems like a quality machine. People in Europe have good opinions of them, in North America everyone is either Miller/Lincoln but they are expensive in comparison. I bought this one on Ebay new for about $300 including shipping, a similar Lincoln at Home Depot would cost me $450.

I am very much a novice but the welds seem smooth and it is consistent in its welds, and heck if a n00b like me can make a decent weld then it must be OK. I guess we'll see how the longevity of it is over time as I put more hours on it.

The piece in the pic is actually a spindle bracket for a go-kart that I've been slowly plugging away at for almost 2 years now.

So how's the Go-Kart coming along?
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110 volt migs

Cool, defending the 110's almost bought one but the my budget improved. Some people think they're useless but think about it if you're a hobbiest or a mechanic, most of your welding is on the low end of the heat any way. And you never get close to the duty cycle. zap zap done.

Post Thanks / Like

The shop I work at keeps a 110 mig in back for a couple small jobs they get regularly. No point firing up the big machines just to put a dab of filler on small parts. And these parts come in batches of a few thousand, with four welds on each. So 12,000 welds, twice a year. Only problem we've had is the thin wire likes to birdsnest at the feed rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link, that machine Looks pretty & strong from the pics. Is that a gate hinge bracket? i am asking myself that question?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used two different 110 V. machines extensively, both with mixed gas.

Very handy within their capabilities. I used a Lincoln SP-100 and an Italian model (hey!!!) that I can't remember the name of and both worked very well if not pushed too hard. Both with .023" wire on ms.

I stitched 1 1/2"sq. 1/8" wall tubing to a 3/16" ms.pl. for a locking cabinet very successfully and also welded a lot of 18 ga.ms.

Neither welder was my own, but I really intend to get one soon!!!
    Last edited by Marcel Bauer; 01-17-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    [B]Forever learning[B].

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to remember about the majority of 110/115 volt wire feeders is simply that... 110/115 volts. Your only going to get so much power to the machine and that's it. To keep the machine as efficient as possible, I try not to run any extension cord on it but if I must, I keep a 6' heavy Yellow Jacket cord just for that purpose. I don't know if it really helps, but I also immediatly junk the original ground clamp in favor of the big 300 amp job.

I built a couple of trailers with 3/8 angle and 3/8 c-channel and the Lincoln 140 was perfect for that, but I wouldn't really push it beyond that.
    Miller XMT-350
    2 Lincoln Power Mig 140C (One w/ dedicated spoolgun)
    Jackson NexGen / Miller Digital Elite
    Miller S32P Super
    Weldcraft 17fv & 9fv Tig Torch
    Victor & Purox O/A
    Lincoln Ranger 9
    Fairly Cold Beer!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
    I have welded for over 35 years and any 110 machine is a wast of money ,220 is the only way to go ,,,,,,
    There isn't much difference between a 110 unit and a July the 4th sparkler. Except the sparkler burns hotter. Get rid of that junk and get your self a 220 rig with the ability to use cover gases.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both 220 and 110 and they both have their uses. I know I cant toss a Miller Matic 250 in the back of my Mazda with the full size bottle to bring up to the cabin and weld up the mower deck. I also wouldn't try to use my Hobart 140 to weld heavy structural steel.
    HH140

Post Thanks / Like

110V machines are great as long as you recognize their limitations.
    For light gauge material and portability, you can't beat them.
    CWI, CWE, CST for Miller, Lincoln, Thermadyne, Hypertherm & ESAB
    Millermatic 350P
    Lincoln Invertec 205 AC/DC
    Victor combo torch
    ESAB PCM 1125

Post Thanks / Like

My analogy to this debate is:

There are those that want a .410 shotgun and those that only hunt with a 10ga shotgun. Where do YOU lie?

I say, if you can down a duck with a .410, then YOU are THE EXPERT! Likewise, if you can tackle bigger projects successfully with a Lincoln 140 type welder instead of a Power Mig 255x, then YOU again are the EXPERT.

It all depends how someone is capable of utilizing the right sized paint brush. Some can and some just cant.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xoltri View Post
    Hey there,

I bought a 110v mig - well it's using flux core wire - for a project I am working on. There are some brackets that are 1/4 inch bar, 1 inch wide, and this is the thickest metal to weld on this project. Everything else is much smaller. So I've had to stretch the welder to make these pieces.

Here is a test that I ran. This is virtually the first thing that I've ever welded, so I'm sure a pro could do a better job. I beveled the edges a bit to get better penetration. And I welded both sides.

Then I hit it several times with a 5lb sledge hammer.

I bent the parent metal and the weld held strong. I believe this is a successful test of the weld strength. Let me know if you have a different opinion.

Anyway, it's a normal job if with a straight welding machine, does you ever check about this option

Post Thanks / Like

I just started welding and after much research, picked up a Lincoln WedPak 140 and dig it. Sure, I would of loved to have a 220v version but I don't have, and can't I run a 220v line where I live. I also have very little space so the size of the 140 was perfect. I know that I'm not going to be doing any 1/2inch structural welding - I'm a hobbyist and budding artist so a 110v with gas option was a perfect choice. Just because a 110v isn't right for some of you doesn't mean there're a waste of money and useless. A 220v is completely useless to me because I can't plug it in anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't it funny how nobody argues that pipe wrenches are so much better than tweezers, because they're more powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

this is an awesome 110v unit, snap on mm140sl made by systematics in pennsylvania. it's served me well for a few years now and i have no complaints. i do mostly sheet metal on autos and i've never used another welder with such a smooth low amp arc. 100% duty cycle and you can dc tig with it too, but its fairly limited in the tig heat range.

Last edited by diy570; 10-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

noob or not, welds look good to me!
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Weldordie;421991]Ain't it funny how nobody argues that pipe wrenches are so much better than tweezers, because they're more powerful.[/QUOTE

+1 ill agree on that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldordie View Post
    Ain't it funny how nobody argues that pipe wrenches are so much better than tweezers, because they're more powerful.
    +1 ill agree on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamlit View Post
    110 are not a waste of money if that is what you want and need.
    I have to agree on this point. There are lots of folks out there who simply cannot get to 220V. Lots of folks just want to do hobby stuff, small repairs around the house and such and are not going to invest in the more expensive 220V welders nor the cost of getting 220V strung to use it.
    I am getting quite a bit of email through my new metal site on precisely this subject and am getting a Hobart 110V machine in the shop today (I think) for a review and to see just what it can do in terms of a home shop. I don't hold a 110V machine up to 220V standards as that is not fair to either machine but there are lots of folks out there who are interested in 110V welders.
    Tom Hintz, publisher
    www.newmetalworker.com
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC 255
    Determination

Post Thanks / Like

Auto body shops have MANY 110V MIGs. They are the right size and price.

You can never have too many welding machines (unlike wives, girlfriends and livestock, welders don't get jealous of each other), so buy what will pay for itself. If something bigger will make a profit, get that too.

Post Thanks / Like

HOBART handler 140. If you work with sheet steel and 1/8" metals it makes the job easier and cleaner.(nice finish product)
    Thermal arc raider 10,000 pro
    ESAB multimaster 260
    300 amp ac/dc heliweld
    hobart handler 140
    lincoln LN 25 wirefeeder
    miller spoolmate 200
    profax sp 200
    ramsond cut 50dy plasma cutter
    campbell hausfield 30 gallon air compressor

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering . can I use my 110 volt wire feed welder with a large inverter to use it away from the power grid and do portable welding out in the field using the batteries off my truck or is there a problem with that?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a Hobart 135 for the past 8 years with no issues whatsoever it gets used quite a bit in the shop and @ times in the field . I use Co2 with it and find it last longer and cost less . If it ever died I would get another one but one step bigger .

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with 110 volt migs. I had one and it was stolen. I miss it but I got over it when I got a Hobart Handler 210.

I read everywhere that the #2 reason why they bought a 110 volt welder is that 220 is not available. The number 1 reason of course is cost.

For places without 220 volt power....try the GoWelder. I had a ReadyWelder and I liked it a lot but someone mentioned the GoWelder. So I tried the GoWelder and liked it better so I sold the ReadyWelder. They both are battery powered welders using pure DC from the batteries.

With the GoWelder and 3 -12 volt batteries and one 6 volt battery, I can weld up to 1 inch plate with no problems. You can adjust the speed and voltage just like on the plug in units and can weld some pretty impressive welds even with MIG as they have the ability to use gas. I have the ability to go in the field and weld anywhere with the GoWelder using gas or flux core. I have a heavy duty battery charger that I hook up to the batteries to recharge them. I can weld up to 30 minutes (a long time) before the GoWelder tells me that the batteries are low. I has the capacity to weld at 24 volts all the way up to 42 volts for some extra punch using different combinations of batteries...(2-12 volt, 2-12 and 1- 6 volt, 3 -12 volt, 3-12 volt and 1-6 volt). And it weld aluminum with the argon gas. I have about the same amount of money wrapped up in the GoWelder that I do in my other mig machine.

So if you don't have 220 volts available, try battery power. You may love it.
    BTW...I don't sell GoWelders or ReadyWelders and do not work for or own stock in either company or any of their suppliers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njmm313 View Post
    have a liitle 110v Campbell/Hausefield wire feed (flux core) for smaller stuff. Great for exhaust, small brackets, anything 1/8" and under. Even used it in the field on railings. Got it for 70.00 from Home Depot, it was their display unit, and they were getting rid of them, and not selling anymore.
    Has 5 year warranty, and ive had no problems with it. Very smooth
    I've had a Weldpac100 for a lot of years. It's not junk. It's a good machine and I haven't had one problem with it. But, like any other tool it is only capable of doing the job it was designed for. For light material and staying in it's duty cycle it does an excellent job. For a little heavier material or laying down metal for long periods, get a bigger machine.

Post Thanks / Like

in trade school we had a lincon 140 i think in our machine shop, it was grate for what we needed for. (thats what got me started on welding) when i went to work at a welding company he had everything from a mm180 all the way up to a trailblazer 55g. we used the mm 180 when the cables wouldnt reach or was just impractical to drag 400 ft of weld cable up to the second floor of an office biulding to weld a hand rail toghther and the cable was 2/0
    WELD TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE

A bad welder blames his equipment, a good weldor can lay a perfect bead on any thing

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist