+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 110 volt migs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110 volt migs

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    spoken like someone who's been on the bad end of a litigation. i hope i'm wrong.
    Fortunately, I have not been taken for that ride, but there are plenty of horror stories out there . . . which piss me off! Take the fool who spilled coffee on themself, sued and won . . . how dumb do you have to be to not know coffee is made with boiling water? Instead of a win, it should have been laughter and 'you didn't know coffee was hot? Dumba$$! Here's your sign . . .

- Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old post but I must say that the Millermatic 211 is nice little machine. It runs on either 220v or 110v simply by switching out the quick disconnect plug. Works great in the field running off a generator or a customers 110v outlet and I use it in my shop to do stainless or aluminum with the Spoolmate 100 spoolgun. I do all my shop steel work with the Millermatic 252. Between my 211, 252, Bobcat 250, and Syncrowave 350 LX, I think I'm pretty well covered!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    Fortunately, I have not been taken for that ride, but there are plenty of horror stories out there . . . which piss me off! Take the fool who spilled coffee on themself, sued and won . . . how dumb do you have to be to not know coffee is made with boiling water? Instead of a win, it should have been laughter and 'you didn't know coffee was hot? Dumba$$! Here's your sign . . .

- Tim
    One case involved a four-year-old girl, Lynn Abdelal, who was given a cup of blisteringly hot coffee to give to her grandma, and suffered a second-degree burn when its lid fell off.

umm... now what? laugh?

there's a lot more to the Micky D case than the 79-years-old "fool" who spilled coffee on her.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

A tragic event, but still an act of stupid that should not have been rewarded.

- Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    One case involved a four-year-old girl, Lynn Abdelal, who was given a cup of blisteringly hot coffee to give to her grandma, and suffered a second-degree burn when its lid fell off.
    who was stupid enough to give a 4 yr old that hot of a liquid?

Anyhow,,,i have used a hobart 140 for about 8-10 years around our place. It has been a fantastic welder that I was bragging about last week to a friend. My sons have welded uncounted exhaust systems with it. I even fixed a bobcat bucket with it one day.

The duty cycle does suck on a 15 amp circuit. I put a 20 amp plug on a 15 amp circuit once just to use it for a repair at a friends house. I could blow that breaker fast!

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Lincoln Power Mig 256 and love it. But I still own my Lincoln HD 140 and plan to keep both around. Both machines have their uses and I don't think the 110v machine is bad at all. It sure it a whole lot more portable. I can take it over to my bother's house and run it there which I would never consider doing with my 240 lb PM 256.
    johnnyP
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln 140 HD
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

Post Thanks / Like

My Miller 130XP has a lot of hours on it and a lot of use, I've used bigger and still its really easy to grab the little 110 box and a generator and go. I don't put up buildings and I might be trading 50 feet of a seam weld / grind on automotive sheet metal for a new 200 amp house panel install and a 150 amp sub to the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I know you guys are talking about mig and flux core welders but what does anybody know about the habor freight 225 amp 220v stick welder.....good or not will it do the job...thanks for your help.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dm101 View Post
    Hi I know you guys are talking about mig and flux core welders but what does anybody know about the habor freight 225 amp 220v stick welder.....good or not will it do the job...thanks for your help.....
    I've bought two (used) one was functional & the other required a new switch. It was cheap just time consuming. I sold both since I have 5-6 different stick welders already that are old and work every time.

That said;

They do work ,BUT... You ought to be able to find a good name brand AC welder for $75-$150 thru Craigs List easily. One of the older standard welders will work forever and be functional for years to come... They are almost bulletproof

Good Luck !

Post Thanks / Like

thanks I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

here is a pic of my 110v mig/fluxcoreName:  100_2359.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  94.8 KB I can get it to work a little but my gf son can make that thing sing, maybe someday I will be able to make it sing too. just need to work with it more now that I have some good stick experience

Post Thanks / Like

I use my 110 for field tacks all the time. I only run fluxcore though. Hardwire will not stick to anything unless its really thin wall tubing.
    http://www.bellinghamrailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamlit View Post
    110 are not a waste of money if that is what you want and need.
    idk how long you been welding has to do with anything but 220 is the way to go if you have 220. my 110 mig comes in real handy on occasion.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

use gas only on this welder...use 10 pound rolls only...

Name:  SP 85 Mig.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  35.4 KB

happy holidays...Charl

Post Thanks / Like

i have the lincoln sp125 plus for home/light fab work. with the proper breaker and wire (innershield) and some common sense it has paid for itself several times over.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I have a HH 140 and I feel the same on the 110 welders, with proper prep on your metal and the right wire, things should fall in to place for great welds on any giving job around the Home or small farm..

Post Thanks / Like

if you need a 110 mig there the handiest things but you gotta love a 220 welder
    i have a 50 ft 220 extension cord so when I need to reach outside my shop i can
    sometimes i miss my little lincoln pro mig 135

Post Thanks / Like

I am another here that agree's: I have no use for a 110 or 120v machine, they serve not much use other than a toy in welding anything but sheet metal.

Post Thanks / Like

You did a perfect job of preparing this weldment and welding this thick metal with the 110V MIG welder.
    You got complete joint penetration.

If you want more evidence of that ,cut through it transversely with the appropiate tool and you can see the penetration by using some dye. I would not try this unless you have a secure way to hold it so you do not get hurt.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Post Thanks / Like

i bet julia child could make some amazing food with a broken down george foreman grill. could it be that this concept is beyond the 110v naysayers?
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkustomz View Post
    I am another here that agree's: I have no use for a 110 or 120v machine, they serve not much use other than a toy in welding anything but sheet metal.
    Mine burns up sheet metal.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna give my opinion a 120v welders. U can agree or not agree I dolt care Its jut a opinion.

"quality" 110v or what ever machines are good. U gonna mount it to a truck and do a pipeline? or open a fab shop with one? No!

U can however do ALOT with a good small machine when U have a grasp of what your doing. Most hobbiest and home owner welders dont need to weld 1/2 steel ever.

I had EVERYONE tell me I couldnt weld a motormount perch on a chevy pickup cause My HH140 didnt have enough power to do it and I HAD to have a stick welder on high amps to do it. BS! the motor mount perches are fricken sheet metal with a rolled edge. I literally only had it on voltage tap 3. I did do a multipass. Did I need to? NO! I just like to do multipass on anything that important. The weld to this day have had zero probs even with heavy offroad use. I have built a bumper with my lil HH140 for a buddies Ford Ranger and its still intact and un cracked or broken or demounted to this day even after he has used that same bumper to yank out tree stumps, backing up into a tree. pulling loads of quickcrete and lumber with his trailor hooked with it. jacking up thhe rear with a hi lift on it. and no structure damage. Only thing we had to do was make new bumper mounts cause we tried cuting and using the stock ones and there pretty much sheet metal and not up to the task of a heavy peice of still. Ranger brackets and frames are pretty thin and only part boxed in at all is the front end.

We also have made doors with it. welding angle iron for a frame with 2x6 as the body of it with round stock going through it at 4 places welded to the angle iron frame. Doors help up fin but they weight a grip and even barn door hinges sag. I have made jewelry anvils on a stand with a ring sizer for silver work and even though the little snvil is over a inch thick and the small welder wont even get close to enough penetration for structual integrity its plenty for silver work since your not smacking it witha sledge or alot of weight to break it. I have done quite a bit of exhaust work without a prob running .030 flux core with it too. I will sayy I have not used it for bodywork cause that does take some skills. very very easy to burn holes or cut thin metal witha little wire feeder too. I have done artsy crap too with it making coat hangers with horseshoes where I only welded the backside of the horseshoes so it looked like they were not welded and that they just float and weld is not seen and and ground down so it mounts flush to a wall and weld is plenty strong still for the application.

I have also noticed that there are 220v machine owners that have never even tried a 110v unit who hate on them cause they somehow feel there of higher status because they own a 300amp+ machine and anything less capable is junk. Reality is how often do you really run 300amps? most people even on SMAW only run 90-120amp and sometime 150+amp.

I have "real" buddies not just internet peeps who have used cheap POS units who were not able to weld diddly with it and didnt respect the HH140 because of past experience with crappy machine but then tried a "quality" 110v machine and fell in love with it.

Cause in point is there are tons of POS bargain bin units that give quality built machines a bad name but to call all 110v machines useless or junk is narrow minded. A good quality 110v machine can be just as usefull and great as a $6K dollar 220v or gen set as a 110v depending on project or application. There nor need to drag ur 300lbs+ machine plus bottles and crap out to weld 10guage metal if u got a good 110v machine right? u aint gonna run any more voltage/amps to weld it on a small machine vs a big machine right.
    HH140

---------------------------
    https://www.facebook.com/brandon.pike.9

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I kinda lean toward the 1 amp per .001 "rile" when it comes to MIG.Stick---not so much.
    That being said I've certainly seen people do some amazingly ingnunt chit !
    Sometimes the oucome aint so dandy.
    Name:  shuttle-tile-install.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  article-2113206-001FD8C100000258-298_634x724.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  23.4 KB
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Post Thanks / Like

I never realized how sketchy 110v migs can be till this past year.
    I was spoiled with machines like my lincoln and the hh140.
    Someone can just as easily get the impression that all 110v migs are junk from seeing some of the made in china garbage out there. Where you have fcaw only, hot all the time wire guns and ac only power output.

Post Thanks / Like

I have owned, used and loved 110 wirefeed (Hobart Handler) Currently own and use Hobart Ironman. Love it. Sometimes I need a tack hammer, sometimes I need a 12# sledge hammer, sometimes a splitting maul, sometimes a 32oz ball pein. They all have their use if you know the limitations of them and yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist