+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My chinese experience so far

Post Thanks / Like

My chinese experience so far

Well, after quite a bit of research i finally decided to bite the bullet and try one of the chinese multi-machines. Specifically the CT416D 40 amp plasma/ tig/ arc. I knew what i was getting into so no need for telling me i got what i paid for, i've already read that a million times.

I purchased mine from Longevity.

It took about a week to arrive and the boxes were in okay shape.

This thing came with a lot of pieces.

The first thing i did was remove the sides and started tightening stuff that had been missed at the factory. The screw hole where the ground wire was fastened to the frame had been striped out so it wasn't very tight, so i removed it and swapped it to the equal and opposite side. The board with all the caps at the bottom was missing one nut and one screw on opposite corners. None of these were tightened at the factory. Also one of the multi-wire connectors was not completely seated. So i pushed that down. I reassembled the machine. None of the holes in the case seemed to line up too good, so i can see why most were put in at kind of an angle. I then assembled all the parts for the plasma cutter filter/regulator. The hose to go from the regulator to the machine was too short, so i swapped the side the gauge was on with the plug, and put it back on the machine with just enough hose. I paid attention to the little stamped arrow on the regulator to make sure air flow was in the right directions. Wired up the 220 plug and i was ready to try this thing out.

I started with arc welding. It seemed to work well like this. Starts with it were not as easy as they are with my miller XMT 304 cc/cv, understandable for the price difference, but it still ran a good hot bead. The 304 really spoiled me.

Then i switched to the plasma attachment (i've got no argon, so no tig'n for me. Nothin. Zilch! I tried different pressures everything but all i was getting was jack.

So i gave Simon a call. He was very easy to get a hold of and immediately started helping me trouble shoot the machine. At one point he told me to take the hose off the machine at the front connector. In hindsight, i think i misunderstood him, i think he meant to take the plasma conector off but i took off the hose inside the machine at the front. Mine was an orange hard plastic line and a bit tricky to get off. As a tip, if you ever need to get this line off, turn the connector the opposite direction then you would naturally. This allows the connector to move forward, allowing the hose to slide off over the barb.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/100_0065.jpg

In my struggles to get it off, two wires puled out of their connector on one of the lower boards. They were apparently not crimped before they were put into the connector. I called Simon and he asked me to send him some pictures of the wires and he would assist me.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/100_0064.jpg

Here are the wires

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/100_0061.jpg
    They come from here

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/100_0063.jpg
    And go to there

While waiting for his response, i decide to do a little peaking around. I took the end off of the plug on the end of the plasma cutter that plugs into the machine. DOH!!!! One of the wires had come off from the poorly soldered connector!!! Wish i had found that many steps earlier. Hopefully this is the only problem with the plasma cutter.

So i called Simon back and told him what i had found and wanted to know if he had a chance to review my pictures i had sent him. He had not. He told me he would try to get to them before he went home.

As of this morning i had not heard from him, I waited until 10:30 his time and contacted him. He said he was trying to get it to his tech to look at his pictures and to give him a few hours. I called him back 4 hours and 15 min later and he said they had been really busy with other tech questions and filling orders, but he would personally take pictures of a machine before he left tonight and email them to me before he left.

So as of this point, my feelings on the machine are about what i expected. Some delight, with some frustration. Arc welding went well, but it sucks being just two wires away from being able to utilize this machine. Hopefully by tomorrow morning i will have some picture in my mailbox showing where these go, but unfortunately, i am ultra busy and wont have a chance to work with the machine for a while.

So close.

I'll keep you all posted to let you know how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My chinese experience so far

Wow,

Just what I always wanted. A Heathkit welder.

PS. That comment was for the old timers who remember Heathkit and their kits for building your own ham radios.

Personally, I'd rather spend a little more and get a welder and not a kit. Got to give the Longivitity guy credit though. He seems good at multitasking--order taker, tech, and receptionist.

Good luck with your new machine.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope when you are thru you get a certificate stating that you are now a certified repair center for the units.

Personally if I had bought one it would have been poured back in the box and shipped back with a note to credit my card. But then again, theres a reason I don't buy that sort of machine. Good thing you weren't counting on it to make money.

Good luck and I hope you don't find more "loose" parts the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I remember heathkits and if they had a tig/ multipurpose welder kit I would consider giving it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

John,

Sorry for the late reply. We were able to get the pictures uploaded. Those wires must have come apart after our testing of the machine. This sometimes happens in shipping especially with wires that connect on two different base boards.

Anyway, please let us know if everything is ok once you get the wires plugged in.http://longevity-inc.com/files/DSC00632.JPG

Here is another look:

http://longevity-inc.com/files/DSC00633.JPG

Thank You for your patience. If this does not work out, we will replace your unit right away and cover all costs involved.

Longevity
    LONGEVITY
    Phone: 877-566-4462

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the heath kits of the late 80's. Hero the robot, and amber screen IBM compatible computer kits you could put together. They always came with Dr. Dos instead of MSdos. I loved looking at those catalogs though!

For the price difference and the convenience, i don't really mind tightening a few screws.

Now for the rest of the story.

Simon, thank you very much!! Just the picture i needed!! You guys really pulled through and i know you are putting in extra hours just trying to keep up. I completely understand, as we are going through some pretty hectic times at work as well.

After your call this evening, i drove back to the office to put the machine back together and give it a try. I put the two wires back in the connector and put everything back together again. Plugged it up and put the air hose on it. Hooked up the ground pulled the trigger and heard the air rush through!!! Already a vast improvement!. Then for the real moment of truth. I put the torch down by the metal and pulled the trigger. The air came on and just some light sparks. I tried rubbing the torch around on the metal. Still the same result. Looked at my machine and flipped the switch from pedal to machine, and tried again. Success!!!!!

I haven't done much yet but after working the small bugs out i am very impressed by the machine. I am also impressed with Simon's support! Thank you very much!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/100_0068.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rotten View Post
    I remember the heath kits of the late 80's. Hero the robot, and amber screen IBM compatible computer kits you could put together. They always came with Dr. Dos instead of MSdos. I loved looking at those catalogs though!

For the price difference and the convenience, i don't really mind tightening a few screws.

Now for the rest of the story.

Simon, thank you very much!! Just the picture i needed!! You guys really pulled through and i know you are putting in extra hours just trying to keep up. I completely understand, as we are going through some pretty hectic times at work as well.

After your call this evening, i drove back to the office to put the machine back together and give it a try. I put the two wires back in the connector and put everything back together again. Plugged it up and put the air hose on it. Hooked up the ground pulled the trigger and heard the air rush through!!! Already a vast improvement!. Then for the real moment of truth. I put the torch down by the metal and pulled the trigger. The air came on and just some light sparks. I tried rubbing the torch around on the metal. Still the same result. Looked at my machine and flipped the switch from pedal to machine, and tried again. Success!!!!!

I haven't done much yet but after working the small bugs out i am very impressed by the machine. I am also impressed with Simon's support! Thank you very much!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...g/100_0068.jpg
    My pleasure John. I can't thank you enough for your patience. Please let us know know if there is anything else we can do in the future.

Thank You
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

What supports the upper PCB?

From a service point of view those units look very "repair friendly", but they also look had assembled and soldered witch can bring on a world of quality control problems.
    Me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me! View Post
    What supports the upper PCB?

Me,

From a service point of view those units look very "repair friendly", but they also look had assembled and soldered witch can bring on a world of quality control problems.
    There are four separate mounts on that machine. However, in the past when the package was mishandled by ups or dhl (especially them), some mounts came loose causing plus or mounts to brake.

So for the last 3 months, we have supplied all customers with improved mounts and it has worked! The service on these units is snap a board on and snap one off! They are very easy to repair hence the cost to produce is low and the hour changes to repair or warrant is also low.

Thanks Me!
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah right they survived the boat ride from China but domestic messed them up. What is your real name anyway, I bet it is not "Simon".
    Should sink the boat before it gets here.
    Last edited by longevity-inc.com; 07-15-2008 at 03:39 AM.
    Tim Beeker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    Yeah right they survived the boat ride from China but domestic messed them up. What is your real name anyway, I bet it is not "Simon".
    I am tired of CHEAP IMPORTED PIECES OF CRAP, it all sucks......
    I can't believe I am about to say this:
    I agree with Simon, UPS and DHL can beat the hell out of things. Have you ever worked in a depot? The boat ride in a container would look like a luxury cruse compared to the trip to your door.

However, a PCB sould have no problem making the ride. That is where a quality design and high glass content PCB comes in.
    Last edited by Me!; 07-14-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    Me!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Simon, UPS and DHL can beat the hell out of things. Have you ever worked in a depot? The boat ride in a container would look like a luxury cruse compared to the trip to your door.

However, a PCB sould have no problem making the ride. That is where a quality design and high glass content PCB comes in.
    I don't have a dog in this hunt---BUT---
    Anyone that doesn't believe the shippers in this country resemble the old Samsonite commercials from the 60's--(The Gorilla baggage handler) when it comes to delivering stuff to your door,well they need to come look at what "Brown"(the worst of the bunch) did to two wire welders as well as loads of other items I bought. It really seems the more delicate the item the more they tossed it around.

Everyone knows these units are prone to damage if mishandled....this is obvious from all discussions about them being DOA. I got a used HH125 that literally did not have to be opened...I just reached into the torn-up box and pulled it out. It was badly bent up,but like a Timax...It took the lickin' and kept on tickin'..."Pure Luck I'm sure" I had to dismantle it and hammer it back into shape,but it's still going strong. The Campbell/Hausfeld was DOA(NIB) & bent. There is absolutly no excuse for the kinds of damage almost everything I've ordered has had to sustain --- almost everything has been damaged--- something over $2000 worth of assorted equipment!!!! I doubt there was the first Chinaman anywhere in the chain of custody.

My point is.... If any electronic piece of equipment is handled like a stick of firewood the chances it will function correctly are greatly reduced...this factor seems to be brought up by almost everyone that discusses these pieces of equipment..."How fragile they are"--- I don't toss any of my high dollar machines around and would expect them to not work if I did so.

While everyone has their take on the discussed equipment...From my own dealings with shippers...at least a fair amount of blame for poor functionality from this equipment has to be laid on the shippers. The machines may not be the best,but they work when they are not destroyed by mishandling.

--- If the shippers delivered for free--OK--but they charged me dearly for tearing my toys up....then argue..they get no sympathy from me.....Do your assigned job correctly or get a different job or business you can handle.....

Can you tell I'm still PO'd about the last delivery? Sorry..Rant over...

Post Thanks / Like

UPS sucks. They took a transmission off a pallet, stole the ratchet straps and rolled it.Broke it all to pieces. Lazy people!
    Drag Racing is for Fast Cars. Time Attack is for Fast Drivers!
    Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
    Weld Tec WatercoolerSOLD
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
    Everlast 325 EXT w/300 Water Cooler
    www.felixperformance.com

Post Thanks / Like

My real name is Simon and you have no idea what you on earth you are talking about. Yeah if boats full of products sank every time coming from overseas, this country's economy would fall even worse not to mention there would not be much to sell (consumer goods lowering our GDP drastically). But i am sure people in japan or other countries are on some forum and are complaining about America exporting too much rice or other agricultural goods. (Give me a break!)

and PS: Goods that come in a sealed container are untouched - never damaged as the container is fully sealed and paper cannot even be inserted between boxes. Its only when these small sellers receive these shipments in small bundles or loose cargo is when customs or even the people in china assemble and disassemble the pallets causing damage prior to a shipping company damaging it here with negligence on both sides during transit.

And yeah, have you ever checked the damage claim rate with any leading carrier? Its high! As I had former fed ex employees work with this company, i understood that they dont really care for your product at 12-8AM shifts when they are sorting all this out tired as hell and they toss it around. Their motto: "Its not my problem the package can't handle it!"

So next time you post in our forums, dont call our products anything other than what you experienced with them or your post will be deleted. You dont have to support us if you dont want to, but if you dont take your negativity elsewhere!

Simon K. owner of Longevity
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Me!,

I agree about the boat ride being a ride in the park compared to some worker, who is 17 throwing it in and out of a truck at 3am, and the PCBs have been improved. Every time a suggestion comes in from a customer or engineer, we relay it back to improve product. I also wanted everyone to know, we heavily repack the units and make sure we limit the amount of room inside the box so the main unit cannot bounce around.

We will actually be doing a lot of improvements with our newly acquired partners who switched from another company.

So stay tuned!

Simon
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StillBoostin View Post
    UPS sucks. They took a transmission off a pallet, stole the ratchet straps and rolled it.Broke it all to pieces. Lazy people!
    In my experience it has been DHL that is worse than UPS, but i guess its up to the person who is delivering. Reminds me of that milk commercial when the post office guy kicks the box of milk around and the kid drinks it(not having to shake it as suggested)when he signs for the package.

Last edited by longevity-inc.com; 07-15-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Simon, I did not realize this was Longevity's sight. I just hit "new posts" button. No need to bash you on your own sight. I got alittle carried away.
    Tim Beeker.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I was going to have a problem with my DHL shipment when it stayed at the same location for four days according to the tracking info. Sure enough it arrived in a different box and was just kind of thrown all together. Of course the unit failed to do anything and Simon quickly handled all claim processes with DHL and shipped me a new unit.
    I am very happy with my unit and Simon's excellent customer service.
    Gadget

Post Thanks / Like

Simon, I did not realize this was Longevity's sight. I just hit "new posts" button. No need to bash you on your own sight. I got alittle carried away.
    Tim... no problem. Have a good day.

Simon
    LONGEVITY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I knew I was going to have a problem with my DHL shipment when it stayed at the same location for four days according to the tracking info. Sure enough it arrived in a different box and was just kind of thrown all together. Of course the unit failed to do anything and Simon quickly handled all claim processes with DHL and shipped me a new unit.
    I am very happy with my unit and Simon's excellent customer service.
    Gadget
    That sucks on the shipment, but I am glad to here Simon got your problem taken care of quickly.

The last thing I ordered that came DHL was delivered to 65 miles from me. It was due in on a Friday, 5pm came and no yellow van. So I went in and punched in the tracking number, DELIVERED.
    Hu?
    I went out and looked at all the doors (we have a lot) nothing...
    Went back in and called them,
    "yes you package in at the depot for pick up"
    where in the depot?
    "Road Island"
    Why is my package in RI, I paid for it to be shipped to my door in MA, by 5pm TODAY?
    "do you need us to ship it out to you"
    ah, YES!
    "We can put it on the truck for Saturday delivery, but there will be an extra fee"
    This is the point were I almost lost it on the phone with the person, they wanted to charge me an extra fee to deliver my package late!

Its not just you.

At least UPS will do what they can to help you. DHL just sucks. I have always been happy with FedEx (air NOT ground)
    Me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rotten View Post
    I knew what i was getting into so no need for telling me i got what i paid for, i've already read that a million times.
    well you get what you pa...

oh sorry

but in all serousness i hope that it all works out for you. when you buy a product you are under the assumption that it will work with no or very few problems.. if this machine continues to give you problem after problem dont waste time in sending it back.
    Best Wishes

matt

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks on the shipment, but I am glad to here Simon got your problem taken care of quickly.

The last thing I ordered that came DHL was delivered to 65 miles from me. It was due in on a Friday, 5pm came and no yellow van. So I went in and punched in the tracking number, DELIVERED.
    Hu?
    I went out and looked at all the doors (we have a lot) nothing...
    Went back in and called them,
    "yes you package in at the depot for pick up"
    where in the depot?
    "Road Island"
    Why is my package in RI, I paid for it to be shipped to my door in MA, by 5pm TODAY?
    "do you need us to ship it out to you"
    ah, YES!
    "We can put it on the truck for Saturday delivery, but there will be an extra fee"
    This is the point were I almost lost it on the phone with the person, they wanted to charge me an extra fee to deliver my package late!

Its not just you.

At least UPS will do what they can to help you. DHL just sucks. I have always been happy with FedEx (air NOT ground)
    Me!

You know whats funny, is DHL drivers get in trouble for not delivering or being late to a delivery because DHL loses money. So what do they do? They state an item is delivered and later drop of the package or they state they were at your house at so so time.

All in all, i love the support we get from our local driver, but the 800 support can be better, but i give them credit for competing with UPS and FedEx in such a short time.

Im sorry for your situation - i guess you just gotta stay on top of them.

Simon
    LONGEVITY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist