+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trailer Winch Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Winch Mount

I picked up a new trailer on Friday.

Nice trailer but still needs a few things, one of those is a winch mount.

I have a Warn 12 series 12K industrial winch. I downloaded the plans, then designed this:

It is a receiver mount and winch plate that will go on the front of the trailer, allowing me to remove the winch to use it on other things as well.

I started cutting the pieces tonight, I need go buy a new drill bit and the piece of reciever tube I am using.

The nice thing about the design is you can still stick a ball holder in it and tow a trailer with the winch in your hitch.

I designed it this way in case I ever have to tow someone else'es trailer and need a winch and it does not have one.

I doubt that will ever be the case however because my trailer is a 20' deck which means I can load a crew cab dually on it with no issue as long as I have enough truck to get the job done.

This trailer is going to get quite the workout here soon, I have to make a run to Corpus the beginning of next month and get my 72, then I am probably going to wind up rolling over to Austin and buying a 3500HD over there I have been looking at building another welding rig out of.

Hopefully in the next few days I can get everything knocked out, I also bought housings and all LED lights for the trailer, but those are not going on it until I have the room to park it inside, which means finishing some welding on the jeep tub. Hopefully I can have that knocked out this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trailer Winch Mount

Nice..keep us posted...i made one a few years ago, but didn't add the receiver tube as u.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I put the hammer down and got the mount plate built and ran the cable out and re-spooled it on the drum properly, I forgot to grab lube for it so I will get to do it all over again, but that is life.

I got this winch about 3 years ago from Someotherguy, I had never hooked it up to see if it worked, it has been sitting since then, I was glad to see that it did, the only thing wrong with it is that the plastic cover on the solenoids is busted, other than that it seemed to run flawlessly and sounded good.

I am going to need to get the last 8 or so feet of cable cut off, it is pretty raggity, but it will work for now.

I also have the bracket for the trailer built, just waiting for the paint to dry so I can install it.

Hopefully going to have it on the trailer tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, lets get some pictures of the mount and the carrier.

Also, how much does that beast weigh?

Are you going to wire the truck and the trailer for a quick connect for the winch? or just drag a battery around and lobster clips?
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

Thats really nice I think I will rebuild mine the same way, I have two one mounted permanently to trailer, one on a receiver, I noticed the batt under the truck I just ran 1 positive lead from battery to front and back of truck with female welding lead connectors then the ground went through the frame. Then mounted a female receiver to front frame rails, now I can use winch front or rear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    ok, lets get some pictures of the mount and the carrier.

Also, how much does that beast weigh?

Are you going to wire the truck and the trailer for a quick connect for the winch? or just drag a battery around and lobster clips?
    I am going to build a custom tongue box for it that will house the battery then hook it up to the hot wire for the ABS, this will keep it charged up while the truck is running down the road.

I am getting a new truck here in the next couple of weeks, when I do that truck will get wired up front and rear and I am going to put a receiver in the front bumper so I can throw the winch in there.

Warn's website says the winch weighs 100 lbs with no cable on the drum. I am running 110 feet of cable, that is about 40 lbs worth, and I figure the mount is another 15-20 lbs.

So the whole package weighs about 160 lbs or so. Enough to make you grunt hard when you pick it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stonagegranite View Post
    Thats really nice I think I will rebuild mine the same way, I have two one mounted permanently to trailer, one on a receiver, I noticed the batt under the truck I just ran 1 positive lead from battery to front and back of truck with female welding lead connectors then the ground went through the frame. Then mounted a female receiver to front frame rails, now I can use winch front or rear.
    You have to be careful doing it that way, it can pop your ignition and your ECM, also as memory serves it is illegal to use welding terminals for power transmission, I know a savy DOT cop will bust you for it, and you know how they love writing those tickets.

When I get my new truck I will be running the kit Warn has which has the plug and the Siamese wire that runs all the way out to the rear. I like it because you can also hook a set of jumper cables up to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the lifting handles like in your design image. Those look it would be a good idea. Did you decide against it or is it I just can't see good?

An excellent idea for the combo winch mount and receiver. I have had to put a tractor with failed hydraulics on a trailer. Little to no transmission and breaks. You can also use a snatch block to one side or the other of the trailer and get a little bit of directional pull for positioning/centering the load.
    Last edited by chuckhole; 03-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    I don't see the lifting handles like in your design image. Those look it would be a good idea. Did you decide against it or is it I just can't see good?

An excellent idea for the combo winch mount and receiver. I have had to put a tractor with failed hydraulics on a trailer. Little to no transmission and breaks. You can also use a snatch block to one side or the other of the trailer and get a little bit of directional pull for positioning/centering the load.
    I decided not to put them on, this thing is so heavy it isn't worth man handling, I hook a strap to the winch and pick it up with the cherry picker.

If I really have to pick it up I can get a hold of it just fine by the bars on the winch. I am trying not to do that though if I can avoid it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well here are some pics of it in the daylight.

I loaded up my Jeep frame late last night so I could drag it over to the carwash today and get it cleaned up, it was so nice just being able to pull it right on with out fighting it or having to use a come along.

Tomorrow I have a guy coming to buy my truck hopefully, if he does I am looking at picking up a 98 I found in Dallas that is also a crew cab dually but it is black and a 4x4.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do for the receiver tube mount ? Kinda looks like angle bolted to the trailer and
    receiver tube welded to it. I like the bolt up mount. Yea, 100 pounds to heavy to manhandle.
    you don't wanna slip movin that . Nice job.
    oh, the sketch didn't show up when I opened the post when I posted.
    Last edited by BD1; 03-18-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    What did you do for the receiver tube mount ? Kinda looks like angle bolted to the trailer and
    receiver tube welded to it. I like the bolt up mount. Yea, 100 pounds to heavy to manhandle.
    you don't wanna slip movin that . Nice job.
    oh, the sketch didn't show up when I opened the post when I posted.
    I took a piece of 3x6" .250 wall box tube and cut it into an L bracket then added a triangular shaped brace to the inside of the "L" and then welded the receiver tube to the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
    I took a piece of 3x6" .250 wall box tube and cut it into an L bracket then added a triangular shaped brace to the inside of the "L" and then welded the receiver tube to the top.
    Thanks, looked like angle . Good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Lil video loading my jeep tub on the trailer with the winch to take it to the car wash.

Worked out really super slick.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, amazing how easy a task is with the right equipment. Money well invested. That winch control has a nice long cable on it, sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a nice trailer. Who's the mfg. and the gvw
    Miller 330 A/BP Bernard SS cooler
    Miller cst 250
    Miller Big Blue 251D
    Century 210 Mig (first welder I bought)
    Hypertherm PowerMax 800
    Victor torch set
    Ru Fong 31 Mil
    Atlas lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, amazing how easy a task is with the right equipment. Money well invested. That winch control has a nice long cable on it, sweet.
    Absolutely although one of my next purchases is going to be a wireless remote for the winch, the cord is a PITA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    Looks like a nice trailer. Who's the mfg. and the gvw
    It is a Kearney 20' All steel car hauler, 7K GVWR

The frame on it is plenty stout, I am going to go ahead and throw a pair of 5 or 6K axles under it.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely although one of my next purchases is going to be a wireless remote for the winch, the cord is a PITA!
    If you want to risk $20--The HF wireless remote will work with most of the WARN winches, save a few of the newest ones. There is a thread on one the the Jeep sites where someone took a chance and others followed. If you cannot find it, I will find it and get it to you.

I am almost through putting two winches on two trailers. I used a pull box to hold my wiring, the solenoid, a permanent external switch, etc. I can carry the wireless remote and the part that plugs in, inside my aluminum locked storage box. Get it out when needed and store away from weather and vandals. The remote is nice for loading by yourself when you need to run the winch and steer.

Good luck and nice result on the trailer winch mount.
    TxDoc's Photos

Lincoln SP175 Plus
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln 250 LX Spool Gun
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Hypertherm 600
    KMG 2x72 Belt Grinder
    Baldor 812RE Grinder

Post Thanks / Like

Could be possible to mount it as showned ? Or is not a good place, some risks?
    Best Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mauricio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio_daniel_62 View Post
    Could be possible to mount it as showned ? Or is not a good place, some risks?
    Best Regards
    I wouldn't want to do it that way because you would have issues clearing the stop bar on the front of the trailer, as well I am putting a tongue box there.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to do it that way because you would have issues clearing the stop bar on the front of the trailer, as well I am putting a tongue box there.
    I understand now, it makes sense what you say
    Mauricio

Post Thanks / Like

mauricio_daniel_62 , Here's another winch mount that may give you another idea.
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...ighlight=winch POST #5

Post Thanks / Like

mauricio_daniel_62 , Here's another winch mount that may give you another idea.
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...ighlight=winch POST #5
    BD1, Thanks for share this post, in the near future I am going to build my own trailer, so now looking all the options posibles.
    Mauricio

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist