+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Tin Cans...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Tin Cans...

Damn... Did notice the different color where the end is crimped. Never thought about it.

I rest on that for a really good excuse for why my attempt turned into rat sh^t.

Do you think the gasses generated would seriously affect the shielding gasses from the rod coating? Serious, no BS. Cool stuff
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Old Iron...

Gee... it was difficult enough without worrying about coatings and stuff ! Only Denrep and Magnetic Mechanic managed to get fair jobs done on their cans. I did manage to get mine to hold together though.

Good thinking though ! The way I figure, my can opener scrapped enough of any coatings off the rims of my cans. It doesn't appear that the entire rim burned off on my tack welds that I can see; so I don't know if any coating under the rims would have effected the welds.

FARMERSAMM... As for those Lil 25 year olds... Heck, I couldn't even THINK of catching them, not to mention support their "Material Girl" desires. I'll stick with the 55 to 65 year olds. They're easier to catch, and as the song says... "They all get better looking at closing time"; or the older I get. He-he

Have a Great Day !

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, let,s level the playing field. Different cans have different coatings depending what's in them (from modern marvels) Don no whats in them dog food cans Farmer Sam. The ones i used had tomato paste in them. Maybe it's your base metal not your filler causing you problems.
    If you don't use tomato paste, try a better brand of dog food.
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, let,s level the playing field. Different cans have different coatings depending what's in them (from modern marvels) Don no whats in them dog food cans Farmer Sam. The ones i used had tomato paste in them. Maybe it's your base metal not your filler causing you problems.
    If you don't use tomato paste, try a better brand of dog food.
    Maybe the regulation can should be Spam; we all know what hard times these are!

When I was younger and beer/soft drink cans were steel, I could tell when I hit them, even from a 150 yards, with a .22. Now it requires being able to actually see the hole 'cause thay don't move....

Those old cans would have been ideal for the test----but the new 'luminum' ones would be even more of a challenge, just finding some 'luminum' rod for the trials.....[No TIG allowed]

Post Thanks / Like

I just read the whole thread. NOW I gotta get some cans and give it a shot. First try will be 1/16 6013 DCEN downhill. Its what the rod was made for.

I welded some exhaust pipe with the same rod, it wasn't pretty....

Sam, 1 lb of 1/16 7018 at tractor supply is only $9.00!

I like that little rod, you don't have to weave it, in my hands it shakes by its self!

David
    Last edited by David R; 01-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee Dave I see you have the optional self weaving hands on your body.
    Tom
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

The inside of the cans are coated with, plastic/galvenized/ ect. it's no wonder we are all dieing of cancer!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    [No TIG allowed]

What!!! Wait-a-minit!!! Whatsamatterwit TIG?? I happen to think this is TIG's strong point, weldin' an' fixin' anyting'. An yew know it, that's why you outlawed it. Nothin' like outlawin' the favorite. An to make sure everyone unnnerstands, it doesn't matter to me; jus felt like typin'. Ed defined in the OP that it's stick weldin' and M & M's and Denrep made it happen.

Spam cans would eliminate the competition, nobody eats that crap.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

On SPAM... they don't make enough Mayonnaise, Hot Sause, and Mustard to make SPAM taste good. On my budget, I'll soon have the choice between SPAM & Cat Food. The cats looks as if HE'll be the one losing because I can't stand that stuff ! He-he

OLDIRON-2... I remember those steel cans, tomato paste, etc; but 150 yards with a 22 ??? I don't know if even Carlos Hathcock could do that reliably ! I don't doubt you; but that's a pretty amazing shot !

Nowadays, my eyes can hardly see that far ! Besides that, the "Auto Shake" in my hands make it even more difficult ! He-he I did manage to kill my first buck at 400 yards with a 30-06 back when I was 14 or so. My Dad couldn't even see him until I pointed him out !

TIG ?!?!?!... I can't spell it much less afford it ! He-he

Have a Great Day Guys !

Ed VA

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Craig in Denver;244808]What!!! Wait-a-minit!!! Whatsamatterwit TIG??

Well when all you have is an AC buzz box tig is pretty much out of the question.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

I think the easiest cans to weld on are coffee cans!
    No plastic coating to deal with.

150 yards with a 22 wouldn't be to hard on tin cans, but of course I cheat, I have a 3-12x44mm Simmons 44 magnum scope on my Ruger 1022!
    My son and I used to have competitions, from the time he was about 14 and had a couple years of shooting behind him, we would set up a row of empty 12 Gauge shells, and at 75 yards, see who could knock the most over without hitting the 2x4 board that they sat on!

I told him this was good practice for hitting squirrels dead in the head when we went hunting.

He is now a Gunny Sargent in the Marines.

Ken.
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Post Thanks / Like

Needed to fix a purple martin house and it warmed up here today, so i hooked up the miller 251.
    then i thought about those tin cans and decided to try it with mig.
    The result:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait till put em in my positioner!

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule 11-7, section C

Automatic disqualification when dudes/dudettes use any other process than SMAW.

Bonus points awarded for 6010/6011

I'll go buy some 1/16 when I get my truck problems under control, and my new cow problems. Not gettin' crap done around here

Post Thanks / Like

PS..... I will still mess it up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dennis View Post
    My son and I used to have competitions, from the time he was about 14 and had a couple years of shooting behind him, we would set up a row of empty 12 Gauge shells, and at 75 yards, see who could knock the most over without hitting the 2x4 board that they sat on!

I told him this was good practice for hitting squirrels dead in the head when we went hunting.

He is now a Gunny Sargent in the Marines.

Ken.
    Ken:
    Be sure to tell your Son thanks: From Craig in Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    What!!! Wait-a-minit!!! Whatsamatterwit TIG??
    Well when all you have is an AC buzz box tig is pretty much out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    Needed to fix a purple martin house and it warmed up here today, so i hooked up the miller 251.
    then i thought about those tin cans and decided to try it with mig.
    The result:
    So says the guy hookin' up his 251.

M & M's:
    Gas shielded I'm guessing? What wire size? Did you clamp, weld, rotate, weld? How far can you get on each position, 25%, 33%??

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Rule 11-7, section C

Automatic disqualification when dudes/dudettes use any other process than SMAW.

Bonus points awarded for 6010/6011

I'll go buy some 1/16 when I get my truck problems under control, and my new cow problems. Not gettin' crap done around here
    Damit, I missed section C. Did you just call me a dudette?? Good luck with your truck and cows. If they p!ss you off too bad, send me a steak.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

Craig!

I am sure my son will appreciate that!
    He has already done a term over in Iraq, sometime soon, he might be going back to train the Iraqi soldiers to take over, at least this time, he won't be in the line of fire, but just as before, I probably won't sleep the best till he's back home again!

Ken.
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Post Thanks / Like

Craig in Denver: I thought originally that tig was the way to go,but my tig machine is fubar. Never considered mig as applicable for this. Imagine my suprise today when i gave it a shot on a whim.

Ken Dennis: ditto on what Craig in Denver said about your boy.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Hi To All Again ...

KEN DENNIS... I take my hat off to your son; and wish him the best. I too appreciate his sacrifice ! It always seemed to me that lots of folks forget about us when we're out there; but there are always a few real patriots that appreciate we can do pretty much what we want to do only due to the sacrifices of a few.

By the way... 'Scopes aren't fair ! I had a Lyman Peep Sight on my 10/22, and could make head-shots on squirrels about 75 yards away. Maybe a little farther; but 150 YARDS ??? I'm amazed !

MAGNETIC MECHANIC... Beautiful Job There ! I don't know crap about MIG or TIG; but I'm already kind of jealous of not having one. Oh well...

I'm also curious as Craig In Denver. Do you "Stroke" the wire/gun/whatever as you do with electrodes ? It looks as if you had lots of Starts & Stops, (100 or so), if I judge by the little high bumps around the rim that I'm guessing were the deposits. We'd all like DETAILS on how to do such a good job as yours.

FARMERSAMM... I'll take one of those steaks too if you get too frustrated with your cows. I had to help deliver one once upon a time, and hamburgers haven't tasted the same since !!! He-he

PLEASE don't say anything about "Truck Problems". If mine hears you, she'll probably start acting up too ! She's 31 years and still going strong; but you know how "Females" are !

EVERYONE... Can anyone explain to me why/if weld spatter isn't supposed to be able to stick to copper ? I made some shields for my vises so I wouldn't have to grind the spatter off. I don't really know if this will work; but read that it should work. I made the shields out of some old copper tubing I found lying around. I split it lenghtwise, then flattened it out, then formed it around the vises with a hammer and my grinder.

If this Copper thing doesn't really work, at least the vises look prettier, and somewhat impressive or "High Tech" even if I do say so myself. He-he

Have a Great Day Everyone !

Regards,

Ed VA
    Last edited by edv7028; 01-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed!

We finally got us a day thats above the single digits or below 0, I will get out to the garage today and dig those brushes out for your grinder, its been to cold to stay out there for very long till now!

Ken.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed!

With that 10/22, if you can find them where you live, try CCI Mini mag cartridges, you would be amazed at how much more accurate they are in the 10/22, compared to any other brands standard 22 shells!
    They have more punch, a flatter trajectory and are more consistent shell to shell.

Sorry for getting way off topic here folks!
    Ken.

Post Thanks / Like

"MAGNETIC MECHANIC... Beautiful Job There ! I don't know crap about MIG or TIG; but I'm already kind of jealous of not having one. Oh well...

I'm also curious as Craig In Denver. Do you "Stroke" the wire/gun/whatever as you do with electrodes ? It looks as if you had lots of Starts & Stops, (100 or so), if I judge by the little high bumps around the rim that I'm guessing were the deposits. We'd all like DETAILS on how to do such a good job as yours."

You Are correct. Using stick or tig its the same. Strike an arc deposit metal, stop , when the cherry red turns to orange. strike another arc etc. etc. etc. etc. etc ad infinitim.
    Last edited by Magnetic Mechanic; 01-22-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    is just an ugly bug

Post Thanks / Like

Round two, still 6013.

The settings:
    Attachment 27736

Result # 1
    Attachment 27737

Result # 2
    Attachment 27738

Out of cans again.
    Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Edv7028:
    The reasons that spatter doesn't easily stick to copper are 1). In order to bond, it has to melt the copper surface; copper is a very good conductor of heat so any hot metal touching it has to be large and very hot or the heat gets away too fast, 2). The copper has an oxide layer on its surface (which requires a fluxing agent to remove) that prevents bonding and may also insulate a bit if it gets thick.

In my younger shooting days, I could hardly afford ammunition, let alone a scope.My first rifle was a clip-fed bolt .22 with open sights; with it, I nailed those cans which I couldn't even see today. 'Life ain't fair' but I can't complain as I has more freedoms than most kids today, even with all the electronics and such. They call it progress.

I really want to try this can-welding test, but my workbench is just too full of stuff which I have nowhere to stash, so I'll just have to wait a while.......

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All...

KEN DENNIS... Thanks for even making me that offer on those brushes Ken. I could really use that grinder again. It's a real pain to keep changing from grinding to cutting wheels. Thank You !

Unless it's something I reload myself, I always use CCI cartridges unless I find something cheap to use just for the noise. I gave my son most of my guns anyway. I just have a couple of pistols, 22's, and shotguns for varmints. Four legged and "Others".

MAGNETIC MECHANIC... Thanks for the info there. At least I learned something about TIG.

DENREP... Looks as if you're really getting into this "Art" Denrep. I hope you're managing to keep your frustration level down along with your blood pressure ! He-he

OLDIRON2... Thank You Too for the info on copper. I think I read somewhere in Lincoln Literature about using Copper as "Backing" for welding projects. I figured that anything near the arc would get welded together along with the "Target". You should get a look at my Vise Grips ! He-he

One of my major worries is that my kids and grandkids won't have the freedoms I/We enjoyed before the government decided to run our lives for us. I played with Mercury all the time when I was a kid. I chewed shotgun pellets every Dove Season. We actually drank Clorox mixed in our water as purification; and ate beans cooked in Lead-Based Crockery almost on a daily basis. Heck... I'm STILL ALIVE, and doing fairly well for my age. Now, everything is all of a sudden poisonous, hazardous, or detrimental to our health in one way or another. I can't light the fire in my forge due to the drought; and I can understand, and agree with this; but they're almost to the point that I can't even use my BBQ pit.

Sorry folks; but even though we live in the greatest country on earth, the government agencies, starting with the Homeland Security group, FDA, and EPA just make me grit my teeth ! I won't even mention the IRS !!!

Have a Great Day anyway Everyone !

Ed VA

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist