Thread: 1st project

Post Thanks / Like

1st project

Knowing I am likely biting off much more than I can chew, my very first project for my "new" TIG welder is a stainless luggage rack for my Sportster.

The original 2-up seat has been replaced with a solo seat that I've modified to accommodate the 4.5-gallon fuel tank.

The rack will normally support a fiberglass vintage tour-pak which I've modified for a low profile fit.

1/8" side plates and 1/2" square bar spacer are polished and ready to assemble. And the 1/2"-square bar frame components have been bent to shape and polished but are not yet cut to length. Bending was done on a client's brake to fit my pattern. To the left of these pieces is a standard Harley sissy bar side plate, for comparison. The side plates mount between the fender and the frame fender struts.

The small scraps have been saved for me to practice on.

All comments welcome.

Intro and equipment here:
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...81#post2548881

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st project

Wow! does that trunk look horrible.

I think you will do just fine on the welding bit. Most stuff like that has a sticker on it that says do not load more than 5lbs max anyway.

Did you make the pieces? They look pretty nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st project

I made the pieces, first making a plywood form for the frame, and a cardboard template for the sides. Had the help of a brake operator for the bending. The (2) frame halves I made by taping 2 pieces of 1/2" stainless bar together and marking 1/8" increments for aligning the brake to make the long curve to fit my pattern. Then the 70 degree open corner bends were made using a 1/2" radius brake die. Lastly I trimmed the short ends to length.