+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

This is the start of a new section for Hypertherm plasma cutting equipment. I will monitor these posts daily...and will work to answer any questions / issues or whatever concerning Hypertherm plasma cutting equipment.....mechanized or manual torches.

Hypertherm also has these divisions:

1. Hypertherm Automation....cnc controls for cutting machines, torch height control systems for plasma and oxyfuel
    2. Centricut....consumables for plasma and laser systems
    3. MTC software....advanced nesting software for the plate cutting industry

This site is not a sales site, however we can help you choose your Hypertherm equipment to best suit the application...and we can direct you to the correct fix if you are having problems, direct you to the local distributor of our products,.or we can just answer plasma related questions.

We also would be happy to see and hear what you use your Hypertherm system for!

I'll be lurking!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

Gee a Lurking Jim!! Is that worse than a peeping Tom?

Congrats to Hypertherm for its own section.

I know I have been very satisfied with Hypertherm's HPR 260 and the PowerMax 45

Tom

Add perhaps if we get enough folks coming in here we can get Hypertherm their own forum
    Last edited by specter; 03-25-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add on
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom.....were hoping to have our own section here soon.....there seem to be plenty of Hypertherm posters.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Yep and I see more folks buying Hypertherm equipment everyday.

I know my cnc shop partner and I are talking about dividing or 10' x 40' cnc in two separate areas same table with two HPR 260's. One HPR 260 for each 10'x20' section of the overall 10'x40' table. But he's is still not sure if it can be done.

add say Jim did you finally see those test results? Hypertherm's PowerMax 45 did well
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by specter; 03-25-2009 at 05:22 PM.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Gee I really thought with all the recent Hypertherm interest and folks saying they recenly bought s unit that there would be more folks here.

Does it have to do with the fact this is a Sub Forum sticky to the Other Manufacturers Forum and is not a separate Forum like Miller, Lincoln, Longevity, Everlast ??

What are your thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

well I am here but waiting for my powermax 30 to get here

Jim does the enhanced consumable kit for the 30 resemble the box type kit that is for sale

or just some extras.

oh I found on one site instead of enhanced consumables it had "kit" after it so does that mean the box tooo
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    79 F350 dump eats 4.75 TONS and still turns
    cutters,grinders,
    And a Hypertherm POWERMAX 30

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

To say welcome aboard would seem to be a little out of line. It is good to hear that you will be a regular on the board and available for help when needed. I hope Hypertherm appreciates the knowledge and professionalism you bring on behalf of the company.

A while back we discussed the fine cut nozzle's on the PM 1250 (never used the fine cut consumables on my PM 600). You'd suggested trying the CE Deflector (part #220325) to provide a standoff from the workpiece. I ordered and received a couple of the deflectors. They do not provide a standoff, just a little more side protection for the nozzle. The nozzle is still exposed to contact with the workpiece.

I've been through the owner's manual and been to Hypertherm's site and I still have some questions. I assume (I know that's wrong) that it is OK to place the nozzle directly on the workpiece and cut at the amp rating for those parts. Just seems a little tough on the nozzle. Is this, in fact, how the fine cut parts are designed to be used. Personally, I find it very difficult to maintain a 1/16"-1/8" standoff when moving at the speed the machine clean cuts. Much easier to "lightly drag the tip".

I even considered machining down the standard shield (part # 120929) to achieve a minimal standoff, however that doesn't work at all. Too much junk builds up in the voids between the nozzle and the shield.

Has Hypertherm considered a shielded standoff for the fine cut nozzles, or as discussed, is it perfectly acceptable to drag the nozzle directly on the workpiece?

BTW. The fine cut consumables really do leave a nice kerf.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Sundown,

There actually is a shield for the FineCut consumables that will hold a standoff.....I believe I probably gave you the wrong part number. I am in an airport right now and won't be able to get back to you until later today (from Phoenix...much warmer than NH)....I believe it is the "ohmic" shield.....which is designed to use with height control systems that have the ohmic contact function for initial heigh sensing the surface of the plate. I will look up the part number later....if you haven't found it already!

Best regards, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Jim. I intend to buy a 30 in the near future, so will probably have a few questions then.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Yep sun I am with you!! Somedays trying to maintain thhat standoff distance isn't easy! Especially after all those coffee's, soda, or Engery drinks. Thats what I love about the Powermax it's shielded consumables can be dragged along the surface and still maintain that standoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Do what you want, I always drag the tip. Fine cut or not. The only time I don't is when I gouge. I don't use that much at all. I can do better with a carbon arc.

As long as we are here.

I have a Linde transformer 30 amp plasma cutter. Its gotta weigh 200 or more pounds. It came with the PT31XL torch. I could cut 3/8" better with an oxy torch.

I looked at the PMX? 600. The LWS said "take it and try it". I never brought it back and they expected that. The consumables at the LWS for the linde are twice the cost of the hypertherm. I find some chineese consumables for the linde. They were dirt cheap and work fine.

I have a 72" lawnmower deck that is all rusted out. I am going to replace the rusted out pieces with 1/8" plate..... Stay tuned.....

David

I have nothing to do with Jim Colt or Hypertherm. Just a satisfied customer.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Sundown,

OK.....I finally landed in a warm part of the world....it was 10 degrees in NH yesterday....I'm now near Phonix and its 80.......have to go to an outdoor party in a few minutes and have a few cocktails.....then speak at a conference tomorrow AM (plasma cutting, of course!)

I did give you the wrong part number, totally my mistake. You need the 220404 ohmic deflector for drag cutting with the Fine Cut parts. It is called ohmic because it extends slightly past the nozzle....and for mechanized application with some torch height controls...ohmic contact is used to find the top surface of the plate. This part number can be used with the standard (120928) retaining cap...or with the 220061 retaining cap which has a wire tab for use with torch heigh control systems. This deflectore will keep the nozzle from touching the plate....and will make the nozzle last longer.

A rule of thumb: If you are using unshielded consumables on almost any plasma...at current levels below 40 Amps....you can drag cut.....although there is an effect to nozzle life. If you drag unshielded consumables at current levels above 40 amps....you get double arcing....which is an arc that jumps from the electrode to the inside of the nozzle....then arcs from the face of the nozzle to the plate.....this causes an effect called "stiction".....which is a word some engineer made up to describe the torch sticking to the plate while trying to drag cut.

Hypertherm invented shielded consumables in 1986 to solve this issue.....most of the patents have since expired....so now everyone can manufacture shielded consumables.

Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim,

That was a big help. I'll check to see if Hypermax has it in stock. They didn't have the CE deflector (part # 220325) in stock when I ordered them. Still only took about a week to get them.

My LWS stocks a good line of regular Hypertherm parts, but for items he doesn't stock, it takes forever to get anything in. Don't think he orders that frequently.

Hope you enjoyed the cocktails and that the conference goes well for you. Little warmer today here in VA but we got the rain to go along with it. Oh well, spring is coming.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

say David if you can locate some old fuel oil tanks like the ones they use to use behind houses the steel in those makes excellent mower deck material.

Glad to see you made it safe and sound Jim. Enjoy the conference and your moment in the sun ! Then you'll be back home with the wife and daughters enjoying that spring weather.

Post Thanks / Like

david, jim, i am curious as to how much air cfm is required to gouge with a plasma say using the pm45 unit. i have been using an arc gouge.

i posted on the other thread, but i guess it got overlooked due to all the junk.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading some of Jim's comments and tossing up between a Powermax 45 or 1000, i have just ordered a Powermax 45 with 20amp 3phase plug. They dont have multivoltage units in Australia due to some reg. That why you cant buy an Aust. standard Miller plasma.

Arrives on thursday.................cant wait

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scott if you go to page 513 of the Hypertherm PowerMax 45 (available online at http://www.hypertherm.com) you'll see it gives it gives torch angle 45 or 60 degrees, speed, width, and depth. I did not see the cfm required but I am willing to bet it Jim can give you that if you can't find it in the online manual.

Hi LarryO glad to hear your getting something that will work for you. I know I love my PowerMax 45. I hope that you will also.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

The maximum flow rating is 6 cubic feet per minute at 70 psi. The gouging consumable use a little more flow than the cutting consumables.....so the max flow rating for the system is actually the flow rate for gouging.

What are you planning to gouge?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim

what's the difference between the powermax 30's extra consumables and enhanced consumables. there are no pics of it that I could find. standard and deluxe models show pics of everything except the enhanced consumables.

Thanks, Tony
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tony,

I just copied your question to our product support guy back at the factory (I'm on the road)....I don't know what the difference is between an enhanced consumables kit and a regular consumables kit.....I'm sure we'll be hearing from him soon!

Has the brown truck arrived yet?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Hey Tony,

I just copied your question to our product support guy back at the factory (I'm on the road)....I don't know what the difference is between an enhanced consumables kit and a regular consumables kit.....I'm sure we'll be hearing from him soon!

Has the brown truck arrived yet?

Jim

Nope i'm waiting though can't wait to cut up some of the scrap pile and anything else that gets in the way LOL.

and pics will be taken for sure
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

Post Thanks / Like

Tony,

?? AFAIK, PM30 standard versus deluxe kit difference is what 'extras' you get with the deluxe kit.

The consumables are the same, there is only one nozzle/electrode/cap/swirl-ring model for the PM30.

220478 Electrode
    220479 Swirl ring
    220483 Retaining cap
    220480 Nozzle

220569 Deflector (optional) [included in the Deluxe kit]

There is a Powermax30 consumable kit 850480, which has a bunch of the parts all in one case/kit. 7 electrodes and nozzles, 1 retaining cap, and 1 swirl ring all in a plastic box. Oh, and it says there are two Hypertherm stickers in there too.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    Tony,

?? AFAIK, PM30 standard versus deluxe kit difference is what 'extras' you get with the deluxe kit.

The consumables are the same, there is only one nozzle/electrode/cap/swirl-ring model for the PM30.

220478 Electrode
    220479 Swirl ring
    220483 Retaining cap
    220480 Nozzle

220569 Deflector (optional) [included in the Deluxe kit]

There is a Powermax30 consumable kit 850480, which has a bunch of the parts all in one case/kit. 7 electrodes and nozzles, 1 retaining cap, and 1 swirl ring all in a plastic box. Oh, and it says there are two Hypertherm stickers in there too.

Ok thanks so is the deflector and swirl ring,and retaining cap extras plus an assembled torch?
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

Post Thanks / Like

note: I don't work for Hypertherm

If you buy the 850480 consumables kit, which is for the PowerMax30 plasma cutter, you get the 16 listed parts plus two stickers all in a plastic box.

If you buy a new PM30, you get the machine and the torch and -some- consumables. The Deluxe PM30 kit (Part Number 088004 ) includes more replacement consumables (and some other stuff like a pair of gloves and the plastic case and a cutting guide and a shoulder strap, etc) than the 'regular' kit (Part Number 088003). Those are the part numbers for the CSA (US) version. There are different part numbers for the 'international' kits (which just have a bare power cord instead of an L6-20 plug on the end like the US versions have, everything else is the same AFAIK).

From the catalog:

The deluxe configuration includes Powermax30
    in a rugged carry case, a plasma cutting guide,
    gloves, shoulder strap, 3 nozzles, 3 electrodes,
    3 o-rings, 1 swirl ring, 1 deflector, 1 cap and a
    tube of silicon grease.

A vendor -could- bundle extra/additional things in there as well to 'sweeten' a deal, but that's the vendor putting more stuff in the box and not Hypertherm.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    note: I don't work for Hypertherm

If you buy the 850480 consumables kit, which is for the PowerMax30 plasma cutter, you get the 16 listed parts plus two stickers all in a plastic box.

If you buy a new PM30, you get the machine and the torch and -some- consumables. The Deluxe PM30 kit (Part Number 088004 ) includes more replacement consumables (and some other stuff like a pair of gloves and the plastic case and a cutting guide and a shoulder strap, etc) than the 'regular' kit (Part Number 088003). Those are the part numbers for the CSA (US) version. There are different part numbers for the 'international' kits (which just have a bare power cord instead of an L6-20 plug on the end like the US versions have, everything else is the same AFAIK).

From the catalog:

The deluxe configuration includes Powermax30
    in a rugged carry case, a plasma cutting guide,
    gloves, shoulder strap, 3 nozzles, 3 electrodes,
    3 o-rings, 1 swirl ring, 1 deflector, 1 cap and a
    tube of silicon grease.

A vendor -could- bundle extra/additional things in there as well to 'sweeten' a deal, but that's the vendor putting more stuff in the box and not Hypertherm.

Thanks for helping. I never did look at a online catalog or anything just the page. anyway it's a good deal thanks again
    Last edited by Tony D; 03-27-2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist