Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

Tony,

You said you had a Powermax30 on order...just waiting for UPS to deliver it. Whatever happened to that one? The T-D Cutmaster 81 is an 80 Amp plasma that is twice the price of a Powermax30. Have you really decided what you want? That's a little bit of overkill for roofing!

Jim
    Last edited by jimcolt; 03-30-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

jim, that gouge is impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

was ordered but it was a liquidation item that ran out the 81 is a 60 amp and I may even get a better deal or I can,t afford it at..... ya overkill for roofing for sure. 1300.00 (excellent deal Though even at that price)

Tomorrow I hope they can get their hands on that PMX 30 for me if they don't and refuse to slash that 81 a few hundred more I'll just go to local Air gas and get the PMX 30

I'll just have to do without the goodies and go to town tomorrow and get one could of already had it
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    79 F350 dump eats 4.75 TONS and still turns
    cutters,grinders,
    And a Hypertherm POWERMAX 30

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Ordered my powermax 1250 and taking ownership tomorrow. Any recommendations on what air filters to use. I was looking at the motor guard m-26 or the hypertherm HYP128647. Any pros or cons over each one.

Thanks
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a Powermax 30 today. I was considering the Everlast or Longevity etc. but after the recent threads I decided it was to risky. Hopefully this weekend I can get set up and start cutting stuff!
    Rotavia

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ya ec12348 I use 128647 Hypertherm Air Filter on my PowerMax 45 but it will work just as well on any Hypertherm product.

Hi Ya rotavia congrats on the PowerMax 30 you'll find its one rugged unit and light enoght to take most anywhere.

Hi Tony did you finally decide what you were going to purchase?
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi... Specter ya I want the Power max 30 but if they give away that TD 81, I'd have to take it but I don't think they will.

I'll know tomorrow what's the deal with them.
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

Post Thanks / Like

Well good luck on whatever you finally end up with.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Jim (or anyone else),
    I purchased a Powermax380 new in 2005 from a welding outfit in Montana. What little I have used the machine, it has performed flawlessly. At best, I might have used it once a month.
    Saturday, while using the machine, I heard a loud crack sound and then smelled an all too familiar smell associated with electronic component failure. Naturally, when I heard the sound I released the trigger on the cutter. I noticed the AC light on the display was no longer lit, but the fan was still blowing. Sure enough, when I pulled the trigger again nothing happened.
    I unplugged the machine and proceeded to remove the cover to locate the source of the smell. After careful inspection, I found a resistor near the top edge of the Power Control Board, that had cooked.
    There is a 1/2" diameter capacitor about two thirds of the way back that is along the top edge of the board, well this resistor is directly below it. It is labeled R88.

Anyone familiar with electronics knows that most resistors have multiple bands of colors on them that denotes the value of the resistor. Well, the middle two bands on mine are destroyed. I can see Black as the first band, and gold as the last.

I called Hypertherm today to see if someone could give me the value of the resistor, but was told they only replace the whole board. My cost to replace the board is $845. I only paid $1029 for the whole machine. That's crazy.

Needless to say, I would like to replace the resistor and see if I can bring my 380 back to life. If it does not, well at least I tried.

Does anyone have a Power Control board that they can look at and tell me the color code for the resistor R88 please?

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizrad999 View Post
    Jim (or anyone else),
    I purchased a Powermax380 new in 2005 from a welding outfit in Montana. What little I have used the machine, it has performed flawlessly. At best, I might have used it once a month.
    Saturday, while using the machine, I heard a loud crack sound and then smelled an all too familiar smell associated with electronic component failure. Naturally, when I heard the sound I released the trigger on the cutter. I noticed the AC light on the display was no longer lit, but the fan was still blowing. Sure enough, when I pulled the trigger again nothing happened.
    I unplugged the machine and proceeded to remove the cover to locate the source of the smell. After careful inspection, I found a resistor near the top edge of the Power Control Board, that had cooked.
    There is a 1/2" diameter capacitor about two thirds of the way back that is along the top edge of the board, well this resistor is directly below it. It is labeled R88.

Anyone familiar with electronics knows that most resistors have multiple bands of colors on them that denotes the value of the resistor. Well, the middle two bands on mine are destroyed. I can see Black as the first band, and gold as the last.

I called Hypertherm today to see if someone could give me the value of the resistor, but was told they only replace the whole board. My cost to replace the board is $845. I only paid $1029 for the whole machine. That's crazy.

Needless to say, I would like to replace the resistor and see if I can bring my 380 back to life. If it does not, well at least I tried.

Does anyone have a Power Control board that they can look at and tell me the color code for the resistor R88 please?

Thank you in advance!

If you heard a loud crack noise I doubt that it will be just the resistor.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Jim Colt will be along.

I agree, its probably not just a resistor, but a cap too.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

lizrad,

I am checking into the possible failure mode with our tech service group....I'm sure they will get back to me this morning.

It is our policy to not provide schematics to board level for these units....and that policy is the same for pretty much every company that produces equipment like this. Usually components that fail on a board like this are an indication of a much larger issue..I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from them.

Sorry for the problem....we'll try to help you get it resolved.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Lizrad,

Ok....I was able to find you the value of those board components...the resistor, R88 is 220 ohm, and the blue capacitor, C63...is 1000 uF, 50 volts.

The Powermax380 was produced by Miller for Hypertherm....so we do not have as much control over board components as we would with our in house built units. I would suggest replacing those parts...and looking carefully at the rest of the board for burned traces, etc.

Often small component failures are an indication of something more major...buts it's worth a try.

This reminds me of an old Lincoln Mig welder I had years ago....the wire feed motor would occasionally stop working, so i traced it back to a power transistor on the main board....I called Lincoln...and they would not give me the component info. I guessed on the the transistor type...found one at Radio Shack, replaced it and it worked, but within a few weeks it failed again. I suspect something else was the problem....eventually I sold the unit and bought a Blue welder!

Keep me posted on this....I'll help any way I can!

Best regards, Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Mower Deck

One rusty Mower Deck
    One Hypertherm 600
    One sheet 1/8"

Some time and a grinder.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  58.3 KB

I didn't know how to draw it out, so I put the deck on the sheet and traced it by reaching in through the holes I cut out.
    Name:  021.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  45.9 KB
    Real world weldin.

Post Thanks / Like

It fits! Just a little more trimming.

Name:  034.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  55.8 KB
    Real world weldin.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow david that's one of the worse looking decks I have ever seen brought back to life. Looks like you had to perform a miracle to save it.

I just did a brush hog deck for a guy and used an heating oil fuel storage tank that we flattened with my backhoe.

Post Thanks / Like

If you find that you need to replace the PCB make sure that you get someone to do it for you as there will be various other things to check before you bung in a new board, it may blow up as well. You cant just replace a board and power it up and "bang" test it.

Cheers

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

I had a brief chance to use my new Powermax30 for the first time last night.....WOW!!! Fantastic little machine. I only tried it on thin ga. so far and I could hardly move fast enough. This weekend I'll give it a healthier diet!
    Rotavia

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be cutting all your stock up into little pieces just for the fun of it....you may need it for a project someday!

Have fun with it!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ya rotavia I am glad to hear that you got the PowerMax 30. How do you like all the info in that manual, consumable guide, and that cd? I wish all manufacturer's had an owner's package like that! It makes setting it up and running the unit a snap.

I have the PowerMax 45 and it still amazes me what this unit is capable of compared to many higher powered units.

Yeah like Jim said save some of your best metal for your projects! Best Metal I have found yet is old metal bed frames!! They are excellent for making welding carts and heavy duty storage racks.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Tony,

You said you had a Powermax30 on order...just waiting for UPS to deliver it. Whatever happened to that one? The T-D Cutmaster 81 is an 80 Amp plasma that is twice the price of a Powermax30. Have you really decided what you want? That's a little bit of overkill for roofing!

Jim

Jim Hi

Finnally after all that with air gas there is a powermax shipped out today for me so I'll be posting pics as soon as It comes of some cuts.

no case or goodies but it wont be in the case much so i'll be happy when it's in my hands
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear your finally going to get what you originally wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Specter ya it's about time and I really wanted the best there is so I'm waiting
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    cutters,grinders,

Post Thanks / Like

well Tony congrats on the new baby

Post Thanks / Like

New tool getting set up in my shop. I bought a new PlasmaCam 4 x 4 cnc cutting machine over a year ago to replace my old one that I sold. This machine has some really nice features such as fully functional torch height control and servo drives...as well as a very easy to learn CAD drawing package. I will be putting my Hypertherm Powermax45 plasma on this machine with a machine torch...I'll show the progress over the next few days....and show the first part cut! Here's a few pics so far....First pic....open the crate....then a few shots of assembly phase.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images