Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm Manufacturer Section

Happy Holiday to all.

Just a couple of questions that I would like to get help on.
    1st one is I just purchased the 1250 have it the shop. wired outlet with a 100amp service. The outlet was run with 2/3 romex cable. The power cable I will be using is 45 feet of 6/3. Single phase shop. The manual says that 6/3 is fine for 50 feet and under. Does the 6/3 seem okay or should I move to the 4/3 cable on the power cord install.
    2nd questions is what consumables will I be going through the most. I am new to this and don't know if I should purchase the 1250 kit or just buy the consumables that I would need the most.

Thanks
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ya ec12348. Hope you had a Happy Easter.

If the manual says 6/3 is fine for 50' and under then your fine at 45'.

You find that you'll most likely go through the shield and electrode the most, followed by the nozzle.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Well everything must be fine out there since no one is posting. Anyone have any good picture of their lastest project or work?
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Still on my frist set of consumables

I would have about 1 hour af actual arc time on them and they look like the will almost go another hour.
    Some of the stuff was piercing holes and i did not angle the torch much so ive been a bit hard on the tip.
    Going to try some gouging soon.

Everything is great with my PM45 so nothing realy to report

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ya Larry. Gee you must be rough on those consumables. I had over 100hrs on my original set of consumables when starting that test and evaluation.

Almost all my time with the machine was spent doing http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...hlight=t-poles but I also did a couple of RV frames, one A-Frame repair, one semi truck roof cut-off.

If you have a brass brush try cleaning off the shield after through for the day. Getting any residual dross off the consumables helps them last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more pictures of plasma cuts done with a Powermax 45 and a PlasmaCam cnc cutting machine. I was using my homebuilt wood splitter the other day (built about 5 years ago) and I ended up bending the ram....so I had to cut some reinforcing gussets out of some 1/2"steel and weld them on after straightening the ram. I was trying to figure out how to straightem the 1" ram plate.....when I realized the log splitter is actually a hydraulic press....I used the cylinder to pull the ram back straight by wrapping a heavy logging chain around it...worked well!

Also....I added a shelf on each side of the splitter to help support biug pieces of firewood...realizing I'm not getting any younger!

First pic: The bent ram plate...this is 1" steel.

Second and third pics: New gussets for the ram plate and 1/4" thick "personalized"log shelfves.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Jim shouldn't bend or break now. Unless splitting something hard like black walnut and the ram blows some o' rings.

Post Thanks / Like

Your right Specter. After looking at it this morning, it just seems to be staying at a constant. Interesting to see how long i get out of it. I have 6 of everything so it should last a while before i need to get anymore.
    Looking at the PlasmaCam and talking to the a engineer friend of mine to see what i might be able to do for him and help pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Larry you may want to talk to Jim about his plasma cam. He has that 4'x4' table

Post Thanks / Like

Its Jims posts that has promted me to this macine. Done a little research over on the PlasmaCam site. They have some good video of software and things it will do. I will e-mail them soon to find their Australian distributer and get AU$ price. I have a laptop to drive it, but do you need the fume extraction unit? Does it damage the drive motors or something?
    Last edited by LarryO; 04-17-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it in a well vented area you should be ok. I might look into getting one of those table for my farm welding shop. Our cnc shop uses a Torchmate X

Post Thanks / Like

Ventilation is good. I have a roller door on the front and back of my garage so i can drive through.

I looked at the small Torchmate and seemed a little more expensive and you have to build your own table with instructions supplied. They recon 40 hr put together time with build. There is no info on the software they use that i can find. The PlasmaCam software looks so simle to use, i sure Tourchmate would have something similar.
    Last edited by LarryO; 04-17-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has questions about the PlasmaCam machines....I'd be happy to answer them....heck, I'll even do a cut sample if you need specifics!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

What are the available axis's on this table two for two dimension, or can it do three or more axis to shape cutting? Did you go with the torit because of lack of shop ventilation?

Post Thanks / Like

Specter,

The PlasmaCam DHC2 machine that I have has a 48" x 48" (x an y)travel and about 3" of travel on the z axis......the z is just for controlling torch to work distance (automatically by arc voltage feedback) for warped plate. It is a two axis machine with the third (z) axis for torch to work distance.

The Torit unit allows me to clean the cutting smoke....yet keep the air in the shop during winter months for more efficient heating. It has air blast cleaning for the filters....so when they get clogged...push the blast button and the dust and particles fall into a pan for disposal.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

So it's three axis but the third is primarily height control only. I thought in one picture you had the torch angled to cut the log splitter piece?? I guess that's what lead me to think it shape or dimensional cutting. Either way it still looks like a great machine.

Well that aspect of the torit keeping the heat in the shop will be nice. I have a Lincoln Fume extractor in my farm shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else out there have a small cnc table in use for their Hypertherm? Jim has the PlasmaCam any one have the Torchmate 4x4 table?

Post Thanks / Like

Gee Jim I am still on my original shield for this PowerMax 45. Only consumables I have replaced on the torch are the Electrode and Nozzle which I replaced toward the end of the Evaluation and Test. I still have to say the fine cut kerf on this torch is amazing even when I pushed the PowerMax 45, 50% above the recommended max severance cut of 1"

Post Thanks / Like

New project

I have to move some piles of lumber near the barn tomorrow...and the guy I usually borrow some clamp on bucket forks from has moved away! Had a pile of scrap steel...and a garage full of equipment.....heres a couple of pics of my new forks....the second one is all cut and I'll finish welding it in the morning. Every piece was either cut on a PlasmaCam machine with a Powermax45...or hand cut with a Powermax1000. Welding was done with my Hobart Handler 210.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work and easy functional design. I made a set using forklift forks that replace the front bucket on my tractor. They'll left 2 tons.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a CAT 14G grader cutting edge i cut today with my PM45. I cut off the most worn bit. Hand held/no guide.
    Will need to cut section and cut new holes when i get my friends JCB backhoe bucket to suit.
    He wants it fitted to his old 600mm bucket.

There is also a pic of a template i made to cut some new chassis tabs for the car im building. Would be a lot easier with PlasmaCam! I will still need to clean them up a little after hand cutting.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you get e-mail confirmation from Hypertherm when you register a new machine via their web site?
    Its been nearly 2 weeks since registered.

thanks Jim for reply in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Larry. I do alot of bucket work for farmers that go out any buy used buckets at auctions then need the bucket modified to fit either their tractor, skid loader, and backhoe. I just bought another 18" bucket for my Ford 555E Extend A Hoe Backhoe. I have 24" & 36" buckets but I wanted a smaller trench bucket.

As for notification from Hypertherm after registration!! I have never seen a thing from them but I did mine my mail and checked off I did not want to receive offers . I see Jim here all the time and he is the best when it comes to providing Hypertherm interface. But over the years of owning Hypertherm Industrial cutters and equipment I have always had exceptional service from Hypertherm's customer service dept.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey JIMCOLT, where can I get a view of the owners manual for my Powermax 900? On the Hypertherm website it only has manuals for the newer machines. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Slim

Post Thanks / Like

Slim,

All of our manuals are available on the www.hypertherm.com site. On the home page...look up top, you will see a library tab. Click on it.....choose the product....even products that have not been manufactured for over 10 years are there! Here is a link that should get you right to the operators manual .pdf file for downloading.

https://www.hypertherm.com/library/f...)/803080r1.pdf

Best regards, Jim