Thread: pipe fence prices

Post Thanks / Like

pipe fence prices

Hello, I plan on building pipe fences in the future but I don't know how to set prices for my work any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pipe fence prices

Materials x 1.25 plus hourly rate to install, plus overhead and profit. There is likely a prevailing rate for three bar pipe fence in your area, call some people that put it in and ask for a per foot price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Materials x 1.25 plus hourly rate to install, plus overhead and profit. There is likely a prevailing rate for three bar pipe fence in your area, call some people that put it in and ask for a per foot price.
    Alright I can get steel for roughly 47 cents a pound. 3,000 lbs of 2" schedule 40 pipe that is about 1000ft wich is about $1500.00 so I would multiply the cost of material? ($1500.00 x $1.20) what are some prices of fence u have heard of in the past? Ik I have heard of $12ft

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the way to do it was to survey what the competition is doing and what they are charging, then run your own numbers and see if there is any profit left over. As a newb, I just added up my materials cost, subtracted it from the total, and divided by the hours. Simple.

Part of the difficulty is figuring out your cost for everything - even each jobs percentage of overhead, utilities and insurance. But that can be done later, after you start turning cash.

Got any customers yet? Prospects? My business started when just a couple of my clients swooped in and grabbed me before I got a chance to visit the unemployment line. It was easier that way! Repeat clients and referrals kept it going for over 20 years!

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to consider the fact that traditional, conventional pipe corral is typically 1-7/8" and 1-5/8" OD. Not only would 2" pipe corral not look right against conventional panel stock, it wouldn't fit well either. Hardware is made to fit conventional stock tubing. There is 2" but not usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlames View Post
    You might want to consider the fact that traditional, conventional pipe corral is typically 1-7/8" and 1-5/8" OD. Not only would 2" pipe corral not look right against conventional panel stock, it wouldn't fit well either. Hardware is made to fit conventional stock tubing. There is 2" but not usual.
    i was gonna mention that but thought hey maybe they do it different around there.... but the pipe work that comes through my shop is mostly 1-1/4 sced 40 PIPE with an o.d. of 1.660"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlames View Post
    I think that is rather subjective, most of the pipe fence I've seen in ND and around here is 2 3/8" OD, 2" ID. I'm also not sure what kind of size specific "hardware" you're referring to. The issues you're discussing sound more regional, or maybe you're talking about horse corral.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's regional but I know out herein California, most all the horse corral and cattle pens are 1-7/8" as they are in Texas. Our Priefert roping arena is all 1-7/8" and it came out of Texas; powderer coated roughstock, not galv . They're a national company that does most of the rodeos and did all our loading and handling panels as well as our chutes. (www.priefert.com) They do make some 1-5/8" but not for cattle. As for anything over 2", it's usually in-ground. Our permanent, steel fencing is all 3" in-ground. Never been to North Dakota but we have spent quite a bit of time in Colorado and Wyoming and they're typically 1-7/8" and almost always Priefert. And as to the hardware, I'll attach a pict of what all we use. It has some over-2" and some cross-cuts of the pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I went back and re-read his post and it does say "pipe fences". I'm just so used to pipe corral and ranch fencing, my brain went to that because it's such a big business and if done right, profitable. My apologies but I hope my posting helped a little bit.