+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best helmet for old eyes

Post Thanks / Like

Best helmet for old eyes

Last time I did any welding was over 15 years ago and I had an auto darkening hat. Now I'm 60 and wear progressive lenses. Any thoughts on helmets I was looking at the local store today at the Miller Titanium. Big lens area that looked like it would work well. Not stuck on it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best helmet for old eyes

I use a run-of-the-mill Lincoln AD and have been struggling with seeing the puddle. For months, friends here have been urging me to get a cheater lens; a 2'1/"X4" polycarbonate, correcting lens that integrates into the AD unit/helmet, but I kept on using my regular reading glasses under my hood. Last week I was at the LWS in town and picked up a 2.0 diopter cheater and snapped it into place. What a difference! I should have taken the time to do this when the guys here told me about it but I didn't. My Bad as my grandkids say. Everyone has their own preferences when it come to AD/non-AD helmets and my suggestion is that you try a few out. We throw Weld-o-Ramas occasionally here for that exact purpose; to try different equipment and machines out and there may be similar get-togethers in your area. Then, see which one you prefer. They all have their pluses and minuses BUT the cheater lenses, for me at least, in a variety of strengths in .5 diopter strength increments rather like drugstore reading glasses, are a must-have for older eyes like mine at 56. I think it was about $8.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what you are working you might want different options at times ie: 1.25 for general welding and say a 2.0 for small stuff if you magnify too much you wont be able to get close enough.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1304800...Types&var=sbar

Post Thanks / Like

Besides a auto dark hood, LIGHTING will really help. The more light the better.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 64 and use bifocals. I have the Lincoln Viking 3350 and use a 1.75 and 2.25 cheater lens. I sometimes just use my bifocals or a pair of readers, but when I start sweating they fall off my face. The cheaters stay in place. I really like the Viking, huge view and comfortable headgear. Of course what is good for me ain't necessarily good for you. As BD1 said extra light really helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 61 and I only recently tried a 2.0 cheater lens and for TIG is was GREAT. I wish I had tried it sooner. I might also get a 1.5 or 1.75 as I did have to get close to the work but not a big deal so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that extra light on the area being welded is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Besides a auto dark hood, LIGHTING will really help. The more light the better.
    Indeed. the more light you have on an area the more help your eyes will get.

Otherwise try out some cheaters.
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I've been physically moving my head into and away from my work trying to get the right distance but that's a much better idea. I have an exam on Monday with my ophthalmologist for new glasses so I'll see what he thinks. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on the cheaters! I have them in everything eye wear in the shop (welding related). I wear bifocals and the cheaters allow me to see through the upper part of the lens which put my head in a better position (less neck strain).

Tackit has a good point on the focal length on the prescription in your glasses. I had mine set so I could see the work at a comfortable working height (no stooping over). No additional charge at my eye place. Also you mention the progressive lenses. No line (progressive) lens tend to reduce peripheral vision (which I find to be helpful in all I do). Bifocals let me roll my eye off center to catch glimpses of the seam or puddle without moving my entire head.

Getting older sucks and accommodations need to be made. I prefer function to fashion.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist