Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln welding rod in australia?

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln welding rod in australia?

Hi I am wondering if anyone in Australia knows where to get lincoln welding rod? Excalibur? 5p+? And so on. I have always run that and not really liking what they have here. If someone could help me out that would be great. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln welding rod in australia?

Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, why'ncha just learn to use the local stuff and get good at it.......a welding rod is a welding rod, and if you can pick the difference between two makes you've got a better imagination than most.

If you placed a bundle of rods in a pile and had to decide which wqas the best, chances are you would end up with some Chinese crap that suited the machine you currently use.

People who think their particular machine is something ultra special and needs ultra special welding rods better go back to school and learn how to weld.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you have not done a lot of welding because all welding rods have a different characteristics and how they burn. Just like a welding machine. They are all different, no two run the same. So if you know how your machine runs and you like it like that why get something you don't like?
    Can you honestly say that you cannot tell the difference between rods? Or are all your welds just crap and look like dog nuts?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100%, Lincoln rod is superior compared to a lot of this craps rod that is on the market. Ever burn Radnor rod???? Sucks don't it....

Post Thanks / Like

Compare Lincoln to a cheap no name rod like they sell at Harbor Freight and get back to us with that statement.

Try Ebay for Lincoln welding rod thats the only international seller I know.
    Last edited by flux core joe; 10-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    Lincoln pro core 125
    14''chop saw
    7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder.
    Half inch drill
    And alot of hand tools

Post Thanks / Like

another inciteful comment mr. puddytat.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, Nah, you got me all wrong...........if Lincoln suddenly went bust and stopped making, or importing from China like everyone else and his dog does, would you go belly up and gnash your teeth with deep anguish......LOL....I didn't think you would.......you'd just front up to your LWS and ask them what they have that's any good for an alternative, and they, not giving a hoot what you are getting, will recommend something they can make a decent profit on........that is something they decide to stock based on the 80/20 rule.

BTW, you are quite right, I couldn't recognise one welding rod from the other, and am the first to admit that I AM NOT A QUALIFIED WELDER......but I have never had my work turned down when I did do regular top wages paid welding work....the guy who employed me just put a stack of rods on the table and said...."Burn".....who gives a sh!t what rods you need to use....the man said use these, so I used those.

For the last 3 years I have been stripping the flux off of all the mix of welding rods I've accumulated for use as filler material with my plasma welding outfit, and that bit of equipment ain't fussy as to what it melts.

If Lincoln changes the formula for their welding rods, they aren't going to ask your permission first.

With the mix of welding machines on the market, it's very doubtful whether or not you could point the finger at the welding rod if things were not to your liking......or if the humidity was a bit different to yesterday......or the temperature.......or the steel the suppliers got from Korea because they had a batch going cheap nobody else wanted....it's all relative, and when you get good you learn to adapt to the variances of the metal being welded on.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian is right! If your a good welder usually you should be able to adapt to the rod to make all your welds look good unless it is a completely terrible rod!

Sure it's nice to be able to use a top notch welding rod..it makes life easier but sometimes you don't get the luxury and use what is available to u

Post Thanks / Like

I see nothing wrong with trying to find a steady supply of the rods a guy likes to run.

Puddytat your response was insulting and unnecessary. It does not take imagination to see which rods have a characteristic you like or don't like.

I choose rods that spatter less and have easy slag removal. Those are my two hot buttons. I'll use others if it's what's on the shelf - but won't like it as much.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Hobart 418, will I run Excalabur, ESAB, or whatever the contractor supplies, yes I will, but I like and will buy Hobart 418 in a sealed tin. Everyone has a preference, dosent mean they cant weld with different rod.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Someone gave me some Blue Demon 7018, and I thought it ran like total $hit. I sent some to CEP, and he said it ran like any other 7018. Either it was experience, and/or machine. But I have no problems with McKay, Esab, Lincoln, and Hobart.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think these inverter welders are more persnickety with brand names. My SA-200s could care less what brand of rod you run with them. My V350-Pro really likes ESAB Atom Arc 7018.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Personally I think these inverter welders are more persnickety with brand names. My SA-200s could care less what brand of rod you run with them. My V350-Pro really likes ESAB Atom Arc 7018.
    That aint fair ! Everyone knows an SA will weld a stick to a bowling ball and a dog turd to an ice cube if you ask nicely ! Anyone who never welded with one.....never really welded.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a gasweld near you, try them. They at least have some Lincoln rods, I bought a couple of packets of Lincoln 6013's, as they were the cheapest rods I've seen, but they work.
    They seemed to burn faster (hotter?) than the other rods I've used, but you get used to them.

I still think the best rods I've used are the cigweld satincraft 13's. Give me some of those, all of a sudden I'm getting slag caterpillars all over the place. I don't generally use them though, as they are expensive ($30+ a pack compared to $13 or so for the lincolns), plus, I like the challenge of the different rods. Most of the welding I do is just practicing, so I figure the harder it is, the better off I am. Lol

I'm just a home DIY hack, but that's my experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stiffman View Post
    I'm just a home DIY hack
    You're in good company! A lot of us here are in the same boat.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Some time back when I use to use my other type welding gear I decided to try and see what DC welding was like......HOLY HOT SH!T BATMAN........that has got to be the smoothest spatter free easy start welding process I've ever used......that was in another life.

But honestly, no matter what rods I had in the pile the welding process was the bee's knees......slag was easy to get off too, most of the time it just bent up and dropped off automatically.

BTW, no insult intended a while back, the thought of a perfect welding rod was something like a perfect bottle of beer, the type you can open with one thumb on the cap while you chase a bead......never found one, always had to use the side of the bench.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to even try and say anymore about how different rods burn differently because any welder should know there are differences. Of course I can use any rod to weld with I'm not saying I can't, but if you have something you know well and can run it easily why not keep using it? Just like people with there preference on beer. If you were in the bottle shop you would be able to choose the one you like the most wouldn't you? But if you went to a friends and he's got beers but not the ones you like you would still drink it. So basically if you can get what you like why not and if you can't then it's ok. In my first post I wasnt saying I HAVE to have Lincoln rod and nothing else, I was simply asking if I can find it here in Australia.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, well, best of luck.....the good ones haven't all died off.

Have you ever considered changing your brands and getting use to one that is more plentiful/popular?

Just like beer or ciggies, you get used to one brand and so all the rest are crap.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Whereabouts in Australia are you? It's a damn big place

Cheers Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I found the rod I wanted! Oh so stocked to be running these baby's again!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397176117.000076.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  37.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So, you haven't done any welding until you got these today? You got some catching up to do now.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. You asked for it.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FODFA View Post
    Whereabouts in Australia are you? It's a damn big place

Cheers Andrew
    I heard it's just another Island, Like Coaster Reeker
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I've been holding off all business until I found the right rod. I guess it's now time to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk