Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lincoln welding rod in australia?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln welding rod in australia?

So what's the movie ? Earn another 30 grand and take six more months off to drink beer ? Sounds like a plan !
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puddytat View Post
    BTW, you are quite right, I couldn't recognise one welding rod from the other, and am the first to admit that I AM NOT A QUALIFIED WELDER.....
    You should have stopped right there while you were ahead. You've just proven to us your lack of credibility for this particular topic.
    "Hey I didn't come to look and learn, I came to turn and burn.... If I can't light up, I'm gonna light out!"
    -Jody

Idealarc 250 "Fatman"
    MM 252
    MM 211 "Little boy"
    Victor Torches

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, you do misunderstand me........I said I'm not a QUALIFIED certifificated welder, as in one that welds for a living and only does welding etc.........I weld when it needs to be welded or if I want to make something that needs welding, and that can be weeks apart if not a month or two.

As I said previously, I weld with a plasma welder, the only one I'll ever use now and haven't used my conventional welding gear for the last 3 years or so, and that is like an Oxy/Acc welder but without the gas bottles etc....long story.......and as in oxy welding the consumables are just any old rod that you can melt.......you wouldn't understand unless you've done plasma welding, and mixing two types of rod does not give you an inferior or superior weld with plasma.

The fact that I don't know one welding rod from the next is irrelevant.....the guy I welded for is the expert and he knows his rods for how the job gets done, I just hit the stick as needed when required......I'm not all that wowed by the welding process to be so steeped in mysticism that goes with welders generally.

However, if the type of rod is the deciding factor for a good weld, the customer would dictate that in the job specification, and no one can tell what rod was used when the weld cools down.
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puddytat
    .....I'm not all that wowed by the welding process to be so steeped in mysticism that goes with welders generally.
    You've been here at this website since 2011 and you have 760 posts. Seems to me that you're "wowed" by welding more than you care to admit.

Son, "denial" ain't just a river in Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by puddytat
    ...and no one can tell what rod was used when the weld cools down.
    Ian.
    FALSE. 98% of the time I as well as others can tell the difference between 6010/6011 vs. 6013 vs. 7014 vs. 7018 vs. 7024 etc... Every type of rod has it's own unique and distinct ripple/bead characteristics, however slight.

This ain't my first rodeo, cowboy.
    "Hey I didn't come to look and learn, I came to turn and burn.... If I can't light up, I'm gonna light out!"
    -Jody

Idealarc 250 "Fatman"
    MM 252
    MM 211 "Little boy"
    Victor Torches

Post Thanks / Like

OK ANVIL. Tess Tyme
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)

Post Thanks / Like

That picture, the person used MIG not a rod. Two whole different processes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Most certainly you can tell what rod is used, to some extent. I have without a doubt can tell you between 6010 and 7018, just to name on VS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    OK ANVIL. Tess Tyme
    Hey Burps,
    I said I could tell the difference between weld beads from various rods. With your picture, you're asking me to identify what that pigeon ate for lunch. I never said I could identify bird chit, termite mounds, frayed pieces of rope or camel boogers. those aren't weld beads my friend.
    -Jody

Idealarc 250 "Fatman"
    MM 252
    MM 211 "Little boy"
    Victor Torches

Post Thanks / Like

So where did you get the lincolns from? I've only ever used them once while doing some work for the evil Bechtel and didn't really notice much difference to the other high quality 7018 rods I've used in the past from WIA, Kobelco, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANVIL View Post
    You've been here at this website since 2011 and you have 760 posts. Seems to me that you're "wowed" by welding more than you care to admit.

Son, "denial" ain't just a river in Africa.

FALSE. 98% of the time I as well as others can tell the difference between 6010/6011 vs. 6013 vs. 7014 vs. 7018 vs. 7024 etc... Every type of rod has it's own unique and distinct ripple/bead characteristics, however slight.

This ain't my first rodeo, cowboy.
    LOL.......denial not a river etc....good one.

I might have been on here since 2011, but mainly only as a bystander.....I couldn't advise anyone how to lay a bead if you paid me millions, but since I changed equipment to the plasma welder it doesn't really matter since the process is totally different to the conventional stuff.

BTW, no two welders weld the same way, that is people welders not the machines, but if you welded with different machines the results would be different too.......according to the people who swear by the equipment they buy, so you couldn't tell the rod used with all those different characteristics influencing the weld bead formation, as if it really mattered.
    Ian.