+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: HF tools that don't suck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Another tractor application is a flat magnet 1.5 inches square on top of each fender. Each end of the seatbelt will stick there when its not in use, instead of hanging down where the rear tires can slop mud on them.
    Good idea Probably safer than welding them to the fenders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    Who would wait 17 weeks for a harbor freight anything? lol I mean, it does have good reviews, but 17 weeks as a worst case scenario is crazy. :crazy:
    Last edited by Oscar; 01-19-2020 at 10:07 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

i buy the welding gloves from horror freight, you get 3 for 10$ , there really not that bad for the price, also if you get any of the hardware kits, like the o-ring kit or the lynch pin kit or the cotter pin kit , there not bad , a pretty good price for them also . the rest of the stuff , "buyer use your own judgment "

Post Thanks / Like

The ground clamp is pretty good. $15 if I recall. Put one on two machines. Tractor Supply has the same exact unit, $25.
    Name:  ground.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  63.0 KB
    Ernie F.

5. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good or Descent.

Tool chests are good. US General ones. (I really like them. Much better than the red brand)
    Sockets are good I have yet to break one. I have had the same 1/2 drive impact set for over a decade.
    Pressure Pot sandblaster is excellent with some minor modifications. Added a regulator with water trap to mix valve and a separate regulator to pressure pot. I can control the mix now.
    I ditched my junk CH Impact for the HF Earthquake. Nice Impact. No more stuck axle nuts.
    I have had very good luck with most of the Air Tools (Central Pneumatic) except the inline sander. I have replaced it 3 Times.
    I have the chop saw ( The cheapest one. 3.5HP ) I have had it for 7 years and burned through over 10 blades on it with no issues.
    The Cheap Touch up paint gun works great.
    I have the Mig170 and have been using it for 7 Years. Not the best but works quite well for the price. I weld mostly 16 gauge or thinner. (Usually auto body. Mostly stitch welding.)
    The Screwdrivers Are Decent.
    Transfer Punch set is a little soft but works.
    Pry Bars are OK.
    The 4lb Fiberglass hammer is not bad.
    The Claw Hammers are decent.
    The Body Dolly set is good.
    Pickle Forks are descent.
    Bar Clamps are Good. They do bend if you misuse them.
    Vice grips with the orange handle are decent.
    Heat sink is good.
    Rivet tool is good
    Rivnut tool is good just order better rivnuts (Threaded inserts) the one that come with it strip out easily.
    C Clamps are OK but the thread ten to get stubborn after you use them for a while. I have bent a few too.

Not So Good.

Stepper bits suck.
    Drill Bits break easily.
    The Maddox Hammer set is OK but the heads fall off after a while.
    The replacement Air Compressor pump is OK for the price but buy the warranty cause they only last about 2 Years before they start putting oil into your air.
    Busted the 4 inch vice into pieces trying to bend some flat bar. Bent another vice trying to loosen a stuck pipe. (The Vices Suck)
    Nitrile gloves are horrible. I use SAS for the extra $3.00 I can use the same pair all day. And toss at the end of the day because they are dirty not ripped.

Post Thanks / Like

That's too bad about the step bits, I've gotten GREAT service out of them in my experiences, and I use them often on thicker metal. I understand there are bad batches and HF quality control being all over the place, but I've purchased quite a few and have never had a dud (knock on wood).

I think the key is using a pilot hole, especially if you can drill one big enough to clear the web/chisel tip on the bit. I've found the tip is always what gives out on step bits long before the hole edges get dull.

They can be sharpened also (as long as they haven't been overheated and lost hardness), the tip is sharpened like a regular drill tip, the hole cutting edge just needs the face brought down until the edge is sharp (google/youtube it).

I almost always use cutting oil, always go slow (low RPMs), and with as much downforce as I can safely apply.

Other than that though I agree with your list. Might be worth it for you to give the step bits another chance, you can always just get a refund (I've never had a problem returning a straight up crap tool out of sheer disappointment at my local HFs) if they still suck for you!

8. Likes pidjones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled.

item numbers 56371, (3 ton) and 61196, 61197 (6 ton).

a total of 454,000 jack stands made between 2013 and 2019.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

10. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    That's too bad about the step bits, I've gotten GREAT service out of them in my experiences, and I use them often on thicker metal. I understand there are bad batches and HF quality control being all over the place, but I've purchased quite a few and have never had a dud (knock on wood).

I think the key is using a pilot hole, especially if you can drill one big enough to clear the web/chisel tip on the bit. I've found the tip is always what gives out on step bits long before the hole edges get dull.

They can be sharpened also (as long as they haven't been overheated and lost hardness), the tip is sharpened like a regular drill tip, the hole cutting edge just needs the face brought down until the edge is sharp (google/youtube it).

I almost always use cutting oil, always go slow (low RPMs), and with as much downforce as I can safely apply.

Other than that though I agree with your list. Might be worth it for you to give the step bits another chance, you can always just get a refund (I've never had a problem returning a straight up crap tool out of sheer disappointment at my local HFs) if they still suck for you!
    Not just HF's, but most step-bits are great for making ROUND holes. Love that about them.
    "Love 'em all... let God sort 'em out!"

Post Thanks / Like

HF definitely stepping up the game not only with better tools but with store credit now available.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled.

item numbers 56371, (3 ton) and 61196, 61197 (6 ton).

a total of 454,000 jack stands made between 2013 and 2019.
    . Do the jack stands have the part numbers stamped into them? I have two different sets from them.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Last I heard they're taking all of them back for store credit, just to be safe
    Neither of my sets were the recalled ones, so I didn't bother

15. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a Brauer electric (corded) impact a couple months ago. This week I have used it three times to remove nuts from RD400 motorcycle engine shafts. Worked great!

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up one of their US General tool carts today for $150 and am very pleased. Can't beat that kind of price.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned putting a magnet on their drill press to hold the chuck key and that has come in really handy. I might steal this idea too.
    I picked up one of the magnetic parts dishes they give away and put it on the side of my drill press head. Holds the chuck key perfectly.

19. Likes pidjones, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a brother that bought many hand tools there while a diver. Said they'd end up at the bottom sooner than later so why lose the good tools.

21. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up the stud welder/dent puller kit. Worked as advertized. The puller may not be as fancy as a pro twist grip model, but worked fine and released with a slight forward tap. Had a deep dent in the motorcycle tank. Too deep to Bondo and none of the shops around here will work on one. One over 100 miles away said they couldn't get to it until late Spring, and minimum charge was $250. I brought it out with the kit to where two thin coats of Bondo made it smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to buy these gloves for working on cars and such. Anything that was prone to getting grime under the nails. I remember paying less than $6.00 per box of 50 years ago. Then they stopped selling them and then restarted selling them again with a increase in price. I get a 30% off coupon today good for anything under $10 so I think I could use that on a box of gloves as I’m getting low. Huh think again. There is no way on God’s green earth am I paying $20+ for some cheap rubber gloves. Harbor freight has lots it’s mind on this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-mil-...rge-68506.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I use to buy these gloves for working on cars and such. Anything that was prone to getting grime under the nails. I remember paying less than $6.00 per box of 50 years ago. Then they stopped selling them and then restarted selling them again with a increase in price. I get a 30% off coupon today good for anything under $10 so I think I could use that on a box of gloves as I’m getting low. Huh think again. There is no way on God’s green earth am I paying $20+ for some cheap rubber gloves. Harbor freight has lots it’s mind on this one.

Until the price comes back down for those gloves, I'm using these cheap disposable gloves from Amazon for simple tasks - oil change, painting, and Covid barrier @ gas station touch screen.

$9 for 500 gloves. These aren't work gloves, just a skin protector. Use once and discard.

https://www.amazon.com/Magid-Glove-S.../dp/B08BSW4FDR

25. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those Amazon gloves are like sticking your hand in a baggie
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

27. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Until the price comes back down for those gloves, I'm using these cheap disposable gloves from Amazon for simple tasks - oil change, painting, and Covid barrier @ gas station touch screen.

$9 for 500 gloves. These aren't work gloves, just a skin protector. Use once and discard.

https://www.amazon.com/Magid-Glove-S.../dp/B08BSW4FDR
    thank you but those gloves would do nothing but piss me off trying to use them.

29. Likes pidjones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post

Yeah, I noticed that huge price jump last visit .
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Scarfed up by the COVID horders, which drove supplies to zero and thus the prices stupid high. We can only hope for their prices to come down next year, when gasoline prices have doubled.

Post Thanks / Like

I know last year when medical supplies were running low HF, or at least the stores in Western Washington, supposedly donated all their gloves and face shields to hospitals and emergency workers. At least that is what the sign on the empty shelves said
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    I know last year when medical supplies were running low HF, or at least the stores in Western Washington, supposedly donated all their gloves and face shields to hospitals and emergency workers. At least that is what the sign on the empty shelves said

An HF email asked for contacts in local hospitals, to donate their entire inventory of masks and gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a comment about the price of the gloves to the clerk at the register that no one is going to buy those gloves at that price and she simply said oh you would be surprised how many we sell at that price. I guess if you are using them to make money then it’s just another consumable that can be billed out as part of the cost of service but for home hobby guys it’s just too much money for 25 sets. $.40 per glove or $.80 per set is just ridiculous.

Shoot I was bitching when they went up from $7.00 to almost $10.00. I’m just a cheap a$$ I guess. I even wash the gloves while on my hands to reuse them when they don’t get holes or tear which is just about every time I do any mechanical repairs.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 03-10-2021 at 02:31 PM.

35. Likes California liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist