Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: HF tools that don't suck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF tools that don't suck

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    That's a great mount you made for it. I see its attached at the front handle bolts. Is there another attachment point next to the motor?
    I just Google Imaged until I found a design and added some ascz to it.
    No need for other supports.I just cut some 3/8 yesterday. No problem. Like all things that cut. It's all about the blade and velocity. I also added a 10 in round table since this photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, mine isn't loud. I suggest repack the gear grease.

But mine had a flaw: the table wasn't square to the blade. I had to put a permanent shim under the table before it could make a true, square cut. 'Some assembly required', as they say.
    Good to hear! I will try it then, what type of grease should i use?
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    Stand up, right now. Unplug your computer and toss it out in the street.It's loaded with evil "ching chang".

I'm not embarrassed to drag out anything from HF in front of my friends. Besides if they do laugh let 'em. I'm getting the job done and keeping more of my money in my pocket at the same time.

That said I wouldn't buy the same thing that fails multiple times. If a tool breaks from HF I take it back and get either a replacement if I think a second try is warranted or I get my money back. So if you don't have money riding on the tool as for a job, it might be worthwhile to try HF's version especially if it's going to be a tool that is seldom used.
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-re...der-67980.html
    Might work for post zombie self-.colonoscopies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Good to hear! I will try it then, what type of grease should I use?
    I would use whatever thick grease you already have. Wheel bearing grease containing fibers might quiet it down.

I've read here that many HF tools - angle grinders etc - have no grease touching the gears when the new owner opens up the tool to see why it is so noisy. 'Some assembly required ...'
    Last edited by California; 09-22-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by circlecranch View Post
    if you're embarrassed to drag it out in front of your buddy......
    My buddies are usually more impressed with what was created than they are with what was used to create it. I guess they have more accomplishment envy than they do tool envy.
    This illustrates the difference between a poser and a do-er.
    Last edited by California; 09-22-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post

As for files? Get the aluminum cutting files at Enco. The only way to clean aluminum from a clogged file is to sit down with a sharp pick and start picking teeth. If you must file aluminum, coat the teeth with chalk first. It helps some, but you still pick up some klingons.
    What has worked best for me and clogged files is; use brass shim stock. I use 0.010" cut with a square corner. I will have to try using marking chalk next time but for Aluminum filing I always use a file card.
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=382-6990

I use HF stuf all the time but there are times when only DeWalt, Milwaukee, Starret etc... will do.

Post Thanks / Like

I use HF stuf all the time but there are times when only DeWalt, Milwaukee, Starret etc... will do.
    Indeed. I did select DeWalt when I was shopping for a portaband simply because I wanted that extra edge of reliability for a tool I'm going to be using for work instead of at home. I'm looking to make money with my tools...but the downside is I'm going to spend some serious money to get such tools.

Had I been choosing strictly for home use, then the HF portaband would have been my choice. I do believe Dad is going to pick up the HF portaband soon for his use even though he does have a good stationary bandsaw. We'll see how it does. I'm happy with my choice and even Dad said that going with the DeWalt was probably a better choice for me since I'm going to be using it a lot.
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

I would use whatever thick grease you already have. Wheel bearing grease containing fibers might quiet it down.

I've read here that many HF tools - angle grinders etc - have no grease touching the gears when the new owner opens up the tool to see why it is so noisy. 'Some assembly required ...'
    That was the case with my HF portable band saw. When I first used it the sound was horrible. I opened it up and (a) the "grease" that was in it was rock hard and (b) no where near the gears. I cleaned out what was in there, put in some "what ever was in the grease gun" grease and buttoned it back up. It made less noise ... though I would not describe it as a quiet saw ... and I know that it is now properly lubricated.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of these earlier this year with 25 off coupon. Let me tell you, that thing has been a HUGE aggravation saver... as recently as last week when I was trying to align a bracket to the engine and couldn't get the bolt holes to line up. I drug this thing out, stuck the camera head in the hole and moved the bracket until I saw the threaded hole behind the bracket. It was not in a place where I could have gotten my head. This thing has been worth every penny to me. And yes, I saved the money on a colonoscopy this year. Ok, just kidding on the last one but I have seen my own eardrum with it.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed most of their corded power-tools are dependable; I think that has more to do with a lot of "Made in the U.S.A." manufacturers outsourcing their power tools to China; Lee at the DeWalt plant sells the plans for a drill to his brother Chin, who owns the "Lucky Courage Dragon Treasure Drill" factory down the road.
    Some stuff from China Freight that I've had luck with includes :
    Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool (The one that uses the half-moon blades, fixed speed, corded)= Got it when it first came out and still running strong. Pretty boss for around the house or if you're re-doing some wall panelling; For sanding it's pretty good as well. Only complaint is that the sanding pads go quick
    That knock-off Dremel rotary tool (multi-speed, corded)= I had one that I beat the crap out of for about 3 years before it finally burned out. Went with a real Dremel because I could finally afford one, but if I had a job where I needed it, it's cheap enough that you don't have to worry about theft/losing it. And most of the accessories are interchangeable, so you can buy that huge rotary tool accessory set for like 20 bones.
    Goat Skin driving gloves: Almost as good as Tillman Onyx when you're doing TIG
    Tap and Die sets; The dies/taps themselves are serviceable , but swap out the wrenches/holders. I've had the tap wrench and the die wrench (from the same set) explode in my hands with barely any pressure. Swap out to craftsman tap/die wrenches and it's smooth sailing

Post Thanks / Like

Just a comment on the small cement mixer - quality looks excellent but the d*** thing took 4 hours to assemble! Lots of gotchas in the manual. Part #40 is 65mm bolts while part #65 is 40 mm bolts. Etc etc etc.

It helped to have a bolt gauge handy (flat sheet of plastic with holes drilled for bolt sizes, and a mm scale along one side). The ends of the inner blades needed to be bent to less than the 90 degree bends I found, then the blades bolted in neatly.

I'm using it to scuff dried hulls off of walnuts so this isn't a heavy load test, but it has run a half day continuous with no issues.

Recommended, if you have a half day free to assemble it. Former Journeyman Carpenter and (long ago) automechanics instructor here, so my 4 hours is probably average skill level. One reviewer on HF's site said it took him six hours.

Post Thanks / Like

MY HF electric impact is 10 or so years old and so far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironic I just made a quick vid of bandsawing a pillar. I have all milwaukee power tools, good comparison for noise level. Anyone have a vid of the HF bandsaw?

Post Thanks / Like

I somehow lost my Dewalt orbital sander I have had for 10 plus years. I think it got put into a pile of stuff i was getting rid of. So I found myself sanderless. I looked and did not want to spend $70.00 plus on a good named sander so I found a 25% off coupon, picked this one up for $20.00 So far so good. I have about an hour run time so far and it works pretty well. Has a lot lower vibrations and noise then I thought it would.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-rando...der-69857.html

Buzz.

Post Thanks / Like

the 80 amp inverter arc welder real good its one of the the best "ELECTRICAL" tools iv owned and i love " i really don't like harbor freight brand electronics but this thing is great

Post Thanks / Like

At the new job in the museum I frequently have to handle pieces of laminated safety glass for the display cases. It can be awkward and dropping one on a rare artifact would be highly frowned upon. I had a couple of the 4 1/2" suction grips in the shop that I bought for handling copper sheets on the shear, so I decided to try them on the glass. They work great! Even on a 4'X5'X1/4" case front sheet. Well worth the price if you need to handle sheets glass or sheet metal.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-h...cup-40993.html

Name:  image_18136.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  1.8 KB
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Post Thanks / Like

The 90A flux core welder has been treating me good since march.
    Random Orbital Palm sander works great.
    Regular palm sander works great.
    14" 3 1/2 HP Abrasive Saw cuts steel good. The only con for me is the inaccurate angle degree marks on the miter.
    Bunch of C clamps and quick release bar clamps.
    2.5 Ton Heavy duty floor jack
    Electric cut off tool
    4" angle grinder
    60-120 grit Flap discs
    2HP 8gallon Air Compressor
    18 gauge Air Nailer
    9 amp reciprocating saw
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    HF Stick/Tig Inverter Welder
    Lincoln AC225s

Post Thanks / Like

I got the one with the pistol grip
    http://www.harborfreight.com/high-re...der-60695.html it worked great great video quality. It was small enough to fit in a spark plug hole in my yamahaR6 I was very worried about spending 200 at HF on a camera but it made my day when I could read the # on the pistons and could see I had a bent valve. I would buy another if I needed one

Post Thanks / Like

And all of my floor jacks are the racing jacks from HF. I won't buy another big red or craftsman brand jack again that goes for bottle jacks oh and their air/hydraulic porta power pump works great too

Post Thanks / Like

Heard the tubing roller doesn't suck and they're on sale for $169. With the 25% off coupon I found online, brought it down to $127 leaving room in the budget to add the SWAG Off-road mods.

Supposed to be on sale until the end of the month.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my HF tubing roller.

Post Thanks / Like

New to this site, and to HF Tools, since there is a store fairly close now. I bought the 2 horse, 29 gal., 150 vertical air compressor, #68127 couple months ago. Also purchased the 14" 3 1/2 hp cut off saw. #68104. And self darkening welding helmet, #46092. All three have worked well so far, no complaints. I realize they are not "top of the line" products, but have worked flawlessly so far and get the job done.

Gregg,

Post Thanks / Like

things ive purchased from harbor freight that i like...
    -blue flame auto darkening helmet
    -80amp inverter stick welder
    -90amp flux core welder
    - mig welding pliers
    - welding rods 6013 1/16 & 1/8, 7014 1/16, 6011 3/32 & 1/8
    -4.5 angle grinder with paddle switch
    -3 in mini tool grinder (great for tungsten sharpening)
    -1/2 in. Variable Speed Reversible Heavy Duty Drill
    -3/8 close quarters drill
    -2 Horsepower, 8 gal., 125 PSI Air Compressor
    -air compressor hoses
    -17 Piece Air Tool Accessory Kit
    -Dual Action Air Sander
    -air die grinder
    - grind & cutting wheels
    -6" Swivel Pad Lock-Grip Pliers
    -40 Piece 3/8" and 1/4" Drive Socket Set
    -utility knife
    -4 Piece 1 in. x 15 ft. Ratcheting Tie Downs
    -windshield crack repair
    -3 ton jack stands
    -2 ton floor jack
    -CO2/Argon Regulator Gauge
    -welding magnets
    -Adjustable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithboy View Post
    Nelson,
    Do you have the needle scaler? I have been eyeballing that thing for a while, wondering if it's worthwhile.
    I have the needle scaler and it is magnificient....like all air tools just oil regularly. mine does a great jop on initial scraping of crap from old greasy lathes. had mine three years
    joe
    Longevity LS 160 P tig/Plasma combo
    Lincoln AC/DC 225 Tombstone
    Miller 170 Mig (shared with neighbor)

"Life is like Ice cream...Enjoy it or it melts away"
    joebiplane