Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
Results 926 to 950 of 965

Thread: HF tools that don't suck

  1. #926
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I've had a set of these Berger MIG pliers for about 6 months now. They are very nice. They cut cleanly, the jaws align properly and they seem to be properly hardened. I'm very happy with them.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-m...ers-63513.html
    Home tinkerer and old tool junkie

  2. #927
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    5,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I've had a set of these Berger MIG pliers for about 6 months now. They are very nice. They cut cleanly, the jaws align properly and they seem to be properly hardened. I'm very happy with them.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-m...ers-63513.html
    Mine donít say berger

    But I bought them at Harbor freight about 10 years ago.

    They do the job.

    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0f994823bb.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  3. #928
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Berger is the new version that came out last year. I had the old ones, these are much better.
    Home tinkerer and old tool junkie

  4. #929
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    9,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    HF tools that don't suck

    I have those red handled ones and a Set of the channel lock branded ones. The channel locks do have visible quality difference but I find with HF stuff you just look at every pair on the rack and find the ones that align correctly etc.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

  5. #930
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    5,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Berger is the new version that came out last year. I had the old ones, these are much better.
    Define better.

    I donít know how much you could ask from Mig pliers.

    If you want them to pull nose hairs thatís a different story.

    But I usually only use them to snap off a piece of wire or do a quick clean out of the end of the nozzle.

    I donít know how much better I can get at that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  6. #931
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Has anyone tried their mini mill ? I've been contemplating buying one but don't know anyone who has used one . They don't have a display model in the local store to me .

  7. #932
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    'ta town, KS
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I use Bridgeport..

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

    Mac

  8. #933
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    If I had the knowledge, space and the dollars ...................I would buy a Bridgeport. Thanks for your useless comment...................

  9. #934
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Posts
    5,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I have been very pleased with the HF power pipe threader so far. No idea on longevity yet but it does have good power which is a bit odd for an electric HF tool.

    https://i.imgur.com/1aX6krI.jpg
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

  10. #935
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    Has anyone tried their mini mill ? I've been contemplating buying one but don't know anyone who has used one . They don't have a display model in the local store to me .
    I have not, but I have seen others comment that it's not well made. Plastic gears. Low torque motors. Check out Blondi Hacks on Youtube. The one she uses looks decent for the money.
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG
    https://www.mylilmule.us

  11. #936
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    Has anyone tried their mini mill ? I've been contemplating buying one but don't know anyone who has used one . They don't have a display model in the local store to me .
    https://www.harborfreight.com/two-sp...ine-44991.html
    this one?
    no experience with it other than seeing it in the store. 2.2 amps of power seems very low to spin a R-8 tool imo.
    but depending on your needs,it can probably be tweeked to be somewhat usable .
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ine-33686.html this is a pretty good one however.

  12. #937
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Martha Lake, WA
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    It's a hobby mill. I use mine mostly as a precision drill press but have done some light machining on steel and aluminum, and have milled a little wood although that made quite a mess. Picked it up with a 25% off coupon and have been happy with it so far. Do some reading on the net - lots of haters out there but also many users that take it low and slow and make good parts. I picked up a $15 hall effects sensor and readout and did a mod to add a tachometer which works well.
    Last edited by jrporter; 12-23-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

  13. #938
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by filetobeef View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/two-sp...ine-44991.html
    this one?
    no experience with it other than seeing it in the store. 2.2 amps of power seems very low to spin a R-8 tool imo.
    but depending on your needs,it can probably be tweeked to be somewhat usable .
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-...ine-33686.html this is a pretty good one however.
    Thanks for the reply, when looking a that model , I didn't even notice the motor specs.
    I was looking more at The machine from The Little Machine Shop.
    This is the model I was looking at https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ory=1387807683

    Thanks for all of the replies.

  14. #939
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    It's a hobby mill. I use mine mostly as a precision drill press but have done some light machining on steel and aluminum, and have milled a little wood although that made quite a mess. Picked it up with a 25% off coupon and have been happy with it so far. Do some reading on the net - lots of haters out there but also many users that take it low and slow and make good parts. I picked up a $15 hall effects sensor and readout and did a mod to add a tachometer which works well.
    I did look at some of the reviews , they all seem mixed no matter what brand. I do understand they won't do large parts but that isn't what I'm looking for. I think I understand their limits .

  15. #940
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    If I had to do it again, I'd buy the one from The Little Machine Shop. I upgraded the gear system to the belt drive conversion (Little Machine Shop, removed the plastic gears) but it still has a low HP motor. Next upgrade will be putting a treadmill motor on it. In can't see throwing the Harbor Freight Mill away so I'll slowly do some upgrades.

  16. #941
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I've had one for about 15 years. Very little use, but my primary use for it is either drilling or milling with a 1/8" mill or even smaller. Huge slop in all the movements, but does what I need. Mounted to the bench next to the 7x10 mini lathe that has seen a lot of use. These days they are mainly used in rescuing old motorcycles, but in the past I used them for making physics research equipment one-offs.
    "Love 'em all... let God sort 'em out!"

  17. #942
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wooster, Ohio
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Looks like this is an old thread but it's sticky so I'll add a couple of tools to the list.

    A few tools I've bought from HF that I like:
    Auto darkening welding helmet. The one with the blue flames. (I know it's cheap, but it works good.)
    12" F-clamp/ welding clamp. This thing is very strong!
    The big welding magnets.
    Earthquake xt 1/2" drive stubby impact wrench.
    13 piece standard and metric impact sockets.
    The little purple paint spray gun. (Goes on sale for $9.99)

    One I would not recommend is the Chicago Electric electric cut-off tool. If you're careful you can cut 16 gauge material without it bogging down.

  18. #943
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I have the helmet, magnets, and sockets myself. No complaints


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #944
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I put some 1/2" Husky sockets on those magnetic strips that go for free with purchase every now and then. It's about the best use I can think of out side of using them for welding and stuff.

    I did not know those things sold for $5.00

    https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...der-60433.html

    this is how many times it was on sale or free in the past.

    https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/1...IC+TOOL+HOLDER
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 01-16-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  20. #945
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    'ta town, KS
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Those magnetic strips work fairly well for putting legs on carts and tables.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

    Mac

  21. #946
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Those magnetic strips work fairly well for putting legs on carts and tables.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Never used them like that. I use the cheap Rigid/Magswitch magnets I got on sale for things like that.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  22. #947
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    'ta town, KS
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Kinda like clamping a bar to square up the legs but you can bypass the actual clamp

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

    Mac

  23. #948
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Posts
    867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    I cut down a Magnetic Bar and attached it along the top of the QuickHitch on the back of my tractor. Switching tractor attachments includes small clips and pins, that can disappear down into the weeds. Now they're still there when I reach for them.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  24. #949
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I cut down a Magnetic Bar and attached it along the top of the QuickHitch on the back of my tractor. Switching tractor attachments includes small clips and pins, that can disappear down into the weeds. Now they're still there when I reach for them.
    Oh, I like that. Someone mentioned putting a magnet on their drill press to hold the chuck key and that has come in really handy. I might steal this idea too.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  25. #950
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: HF tools that don't suck

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Oh, I like that. Someone mentioned putting a magnet on their drill press to hold the chuck key and that has come in really handy. I might steal this idea too.
    I got a bunch of those little round magnets all over the mill, lathe, drill presses, just handy to put things like chuck keys, small spotting drills, anything metal of course they get shavings on them too but still very handy to keep things from rolling and getting lost.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,604,110,855.97914 seconds with 12 queries